Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to replace tailgate brake light

S

sdes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Some lovely person decided to steal my tailgate brake light. I have purchased a replacement, and know that it needs the internal tailgate trim to be removed in order to fit. I also found some YouYube videos on how to replace a T5 brake light. Unfortunately, they show the very easily removable standard internal trim for a T5 and not a California.

Can anyone point me to any instructions for removal of the upper tailgate trim, please? (I was going to ask "Cali Campers" who sold me the light, but sadly they seem to have ceased trading since I bought the light - they obviously didn't charge me enough.)

The second question, is there a way to search this forum - I'm sure someone will have asked this previously here, but can't see a way to search previous posts - I'm missing something obvious I suspect.

Some lovely person decided to steal my tailgate brake light. I have purchased a replacement, and know that it needs the internal tailgate trim to be removed in order to fit. I also found some YouYube videos on how to replace a T5 brake light. Unfortunately, they show the very easily removable standard internal trim for a T5 and not a California.

Can anyone point me to any instructions for removal of the upper tailgate trim, please? (I was going to ask "Cali Campers" who sold me the light, but sadly they seem to have ceased trading since I bought the light - they obviously didn't charge me enough.)

The second question, is there a way to search this forum - I'm sure someone will have asked this previously here, but can't see a way to search previous posts - I'm missing something obvious I suspect.
I doubt if the High Level Brake Light was stolen, they are prone to dropping out. VW have a New Replacement unit that they fit.

Search Function is located on top of the Page within the Forum Banner, or just do a Google search as it will bring up all the VWCalifornia Club postings normally on the 1st page.

e.g.: Google search vw california club: replace high level brake light

text in red can be anything

It's likely that your brake light just fell out. They are prone to do that. If you are browsing on your phone, there are three dots next to the new posts block ... that's the search link

Forgot that on Phones the 'Search" function is almost invisible. Thank you @Joker 1299

Thanks for the swift response. I'm pretty sure someone tried to prise it out as there was damage to the surrounding paint and bits of shattered colourless lens on the ground but no red lens apart from one broken clip on the Islington parking bay where I park the van. I think some one else's had fallen out, and mine was seen as the donor vehicle. They must have damaged the light in removal so now two of us needed replacement lights - welcome to London -doh!

Thanks for the pointer on the "search" button - so obvious I missed it. But in the middle of the banner is a slightly odd place, means you waste half your screen for the search button - but now I know, thanks again.

Stephen

The tailgate upper trim is held on by a couple of torx screws (that also hold the rear blind upper hook) and then 6 or so metal spring clips on that push into slots in the tailgate itself. You 'just' have to pull the trim off to access the screws holding the brake light.
These metal clips can be very tight and need a fair bit of force to pull out. When I did mine I was worried that I was going to break the plastic (but thankfully didn't). Used some trim removal tools & plastic tyre levers I seem to remember to prise the clips out .

The tailgate upper trim is held on by a couple of torx screws (that also hold the rear blind upper hook) and then 6 or so metal spring clips on that push into slots in the tailgate itself. You 'just' have to pull the trim off to access the screws holding the brake light.
These metal clips can be very tight and need a fair bit of force to pull out. When I did mine I was worried that I was going to break the plastic (but thankfully didn't). Used some trim removal tools & plastic tyre levers I seem to remember to prise the clips out .
Thanks for that, I will check it out. Hope fully its fairly obvious in which direction I need to "just" pull in. I think it looks as if someone may have had a not totally successful attempt at removing the trim in our 2007 van's history.

What could possibly go wrong......

Stephen

with the tailgate open & horizontal you will be pulling the trim directly down towards the ground.

Good luck
Thanks for the very clear clarification.....suspect I may still need some luck too, so thanks for that also!

The 7 or 8 clips that hold the trim on are strong - think big screwdriver / pry bar not pull off with your fingers. if you look at the u shape around the window trim, with the tailgate horizontal the 2 "legs that run down the side of the window need pulling vertically down towards the ground & the bit that runs across the top of the window needs pulling towards the bottom of the door not towards the ground.

When you come to put the trim back on prepare for a good afternoon of swearing, it needs pushing in two directions at once & invariably the clips don't line up.

I replaced our break light a couple of times before the recall & it does get easier everytime!

Is it worth asking your local vw garage if yours has already had the upgraded light? if it hasn't they should do it for free.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jlc
I'm going to have to give this a go this weekend, thanks for the very detailed instructions here.

If anyone has any other tips, I'll be grateful to receive them!!

I finally got round to doing this, what a job! It was an absolute swine to get off, but oddly I didn't have too much of a problem putting it back. I used trim removal tools, a long screwdriver with the end covered in masking tape and a couple of bike tyre levers.

When doing this job, you dont need to remove the trim completely. Just pull the upper horizontal part off and you have then access to the three screws holding the light.

Hi, I've just had to replace rear brake light seal. Popped off in cold weather. Getting trim off was ok but discovered 2 broken clips, one snapped and one bent. (had light replaced by dealer previously !)
Anyone know of supply other than VW, i want mail order preferably due distance.
p.s. I appear to have 2 size clips, one grey and one black? but this isn't apparent on the diagram. any thoughts?

Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in. We have just had our barn doors converted to a Tailgate and the California door was supplied so we had to get the tailgate trim.

I've put on the bottom trim pretty easily but really struggling with the top piece, as I'm really starting from scratch, does anyone have any tips on how to get it on easily?

Hello ,

Whilst cleaning my 2011 Cali I noticed the high level brake light was damaged , my question is -

Where can I buy a genuine vw replacement?
How easy is it to do myself?

Thanks for your help.

After struggling with trim tools and screwdrivers wrapped in tape and getting nowhere: light bulb!

I used a tent-peg puller/extractor (the type you can buy from camping shops, Halfords even - like a flat hook with a handle): with tailgate fully open above you, insert puller in end of trim-channel and pull down slowly; first thing that will happen is tailgate will come down on your head (hence, pull slowly!) but this acts as a useful brace; keep pulling and - BANG! - all three clips will spring free with no damage to trim; repeat for other side; top trim clips don’t need any lever, just pull trim towards bottom of tailgate (not towards ground).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
After struggling with trim tools and screwdrivers wrapped in tape and getting nowhere: light bulb!

I used a tent-peg puller (the type you can buy from camping shops, Halfords even - like a flat hook with a handle): with tailgate fully open above you, insert in end of trim channel and pull down slowly; first thing that will happen is tailgate will come down on your head (hence, pull slowly!) but this acts as a useful brace; keep pulling and - BANG! - all three clips will spring free with no damage to trim; repeat for other side; top trim clips don’t need any lever, just pull trim towards bottom of tailgate (not towards ground).

Hope that helps!

Thank you , that is a useful tip.
Also before I start do I need to remove the blind holder?

Thank you , that is a useful tip.
Also before I start do I need to remove the blind holder?

Welcome!

The handle like fitting at the top of the trim piece? Yes, you do - just two screws.

Back