Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to stop pots from moving when on a slope

J

JGov

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Maybe a weird question: but is there anyway to keep pots from moving around when parked on a slight slope? My last batch of pancakes was a little cumbersome to produce given the pan that was continuously sliding towards me when not holding it.

And don’t mention leveling chocks: I’m trying to be a minimalist here.

Maybe some rough sanding of the pots bottom? Any ideas?

Maybe a weird question: but is there anyway to keep pots from moving around when parked on a slight slope? My last batch of pancakes was a little cumbersome to produce given the pan that was continuously sliding towards me when not holding it.

@JGov , you have two options - a cheaper one and an expensive one.

Cheaper - i will have to mention it ;) what you asked not to mention - Fiamma levellers and ensure that the van is as level as possible. You cannot get more minimalist than that.
Expensive - get VB Air suspension - which can auto level your van when you will get perfect pancakes each and every time! It is a minimalist option - there is only a button to press :D :thumb

PS: Sanding may stop them from moving around ... but the pancakes will be wonky still.

Pan Retainers as used in galley kitchens on yachts etc.

Our Fiama's are tiny, fit easily under the bench and we used extensively this weekend. Due to their minimalist size vs massive ones we could only level one way - front or side, but always prioritised side levelling as the front was never more than a degree or 2 out. As we did all our cooking on the tiny Cadac SC2 outside we levelled that with cardboard :D

Last edited:
We‘ve had the sliding pot thing too, but sorry, and going with the groove of the responses so far, levelling chocks sort lots of ills. Not just pots, but a good nights sleep. After pitching on some very slopey sites this year, we’ve bought another pair if the yellow Fiamma chocks (stack neatly in the boot) and this now copes with everything, and we are double stacking them more often than we thought we would do.

Levelling the van is the only way to go. Find a flatter spot to park on. If a pan full of hot oil ,boiling water or hot porridge oats slides onto someones lap, the trip will be remembered for the wrong reasons.

We bought a set of camping pots from Lidl. They were the ones with folding handles. We thought it was a brilliant idea until we actually used them. Absolutely useless. The handles flop around and can get extremely hot and the bottom of the pans very slippery and not ridged enough so unless they are perfectly flat they slide off the hob.
We used them only once and took them back for a refund.
They were an accident waiting to happen.

Cook outside, then you only have to level the stove or whatever its stood on ;)

Should have saved some cash and got a beach
On the current price list if you spec up a beach to get anywhere near the spec of an Ocean it actually comes out more.
If you want a parking heater, LED lights, heated seats, etc an Ocean with no extras is cheaper.

Should have saved some cash and got a beach

Never understood the aversion to cooking inside
But you get that camping, for many, is about being outside?
We make coffee in the van every morning but otherwise like being outside to cook and eat.
We go in the van for sleeping and/or if it’s raining!

On the current price list if you spec up a beach to get anywhere near the spec of an Ocean it actually comes out more.
If you want a parking heater, LED lights, heated seats, etc an Ocean with no extras is cheaper.
I was joking really, but the more serious point is: why not cook inside? We've been cooking inside ours for 6 years and it doesn't smell of food, we've not melted anything...I can't see the point of carrying round a separate cooker when there's one built in. We camp all year round and the thought of sitting outside cooking when it's cold wet and windy just doesn't appeal.
Each to their own tho

But you get that camping, for many, is about being outside?
We make coffee in the van every morning but otherwise like being outside to cook and eat.
We go in the van for sleeping and/or if it’s raining!
Cook with the door open....you're as good as outside anyway
Or buy a tent

Cook with the door open....you're as good as outside anyway
Or buy a tent
One thing I’ve realised is that on this forum there are some basic differences in van use.

Some people camp in the UK (possibly for short periods) and others camp abroad (in our case for 2 1/2 weeks at 5 sites). And some do both.

This affects a lot of questions about awnings etc and van use. When someone asks “what awning should I buy?” half the people here want to cry “what do you want an awning for??”. I realise they use their van differently to me.

Another is retired people and young families. Another is lowering the van. Some people like it others are baffled.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve realised is that on this forum there are some basic differences in van use.

Some people camp in the UK (possibly for short periods) and others camp abroad (in our case for 2 1/2 weeks at 5 sites). And some do both.

This affects a lot of questions about awnings etc and van use. When someone asks “what awning should I buy?” half the people here want to cry “what do you want an awning for??”. I realise they use their van differently to me.

Another is retired people and young families. Another is lowering the van. Some people like it others are baffled.
Yeah you're right...we do both, but don't have kids...with kids I can imagine wanting to maximise your space.
Don't start me on lowering the van..

Fully agree. We’ve had the van for more than 2 years now and only last month we did a proper camping weekend with the both us (including the cooking with sliding pans). 2 kids of 1 and 3 years old. We mostly use the van (for now) to avoid taking planes and driving long distances while the kids are entertained in the back. Next years will hopefully bring more camping fun.