Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to take the dash apart?!

coordinated

coordinated

VIP Member
Does anyone know the best way to remove some parts of the lower dash?

In particular:

The cover around the lower curved console (the hard plastic bit underneath the gear stick).

The little box next to the hazard light switch (I can prize the right hand side out, but not the left).

I'm still trying to work out the best way to mount an iPad.
I bought some wonderfully over-engineered RAM components, but can't work out the best place to attach the baseplate.
Had thought it would work on the fuse box door, but that was too flimsy :-(

Thanks,
Steve

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338148735.634177.jpg

Steve,

I had most of mine out looking for somewhere to install the phone controller so i have a pretty good idea but it's possibly not so easy to explain.

It's actually really easy, there are lots of Torx screws.

Have a look at the attached documents and see if they help.

Attachments

• Removing and installing centre footwell trim (Transporter).pdf
    43.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Removing and installing footwell covers (Transporter).pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 128
Cheers, Stu - many thanks :)
(Thought you might know!)

Will have a read through and another go.

Best wishes,
Steve

Sadly I didn't get half as many pictures as I wanted but if there is any more info you need just give me a shout.

Which bracket are you trying to fit?

Actually if you take the radio fascia off it may help you to push out the storage box from the back.

Prise out the top tray with a trim tool, remove the two Torx screws in the top edge (Under the tray you've just pulled out) and gently prise out the fascia removing the plugs from the switches as you go. Don't switch on your ignition with it removed unless you've got VCDS or similar to reset fault codes else you'll end up with an Airbag Fault.

RemovingFascia.jpg

RemovingFascia1.jpg

RemovingFascia2.jpg

FasciaRemoved.jpg

Thanks, Stu

I'm working out whether there's anywhere sturdy enough to mount a RAM base.

Most of the Cali fascia panels are flexible and wobbly, and I'm not convinced would take the weight of the iPad without bouncing it around a lot. I'm having trouble locating anything made of steel!

Given that we don't use the slot next to the hazard light switch much, and it's quite firm, I'm wondering whether I can either remove the surround and bolt the base into it, or shape a bit of wood to fill the slot and then bolt onto the front of that (only considering the wood as it'd be less invasive).

I'd considered a RAM seat base mount but wasn't sure whether it'd get in the way when the seats were turned round.

If I get stuck, I'll talk it through with you at Hollands Park!

Best wishes,
Steve

coordinated said:
Given that we don't use the slot next to the hazard light switch much, and it's quite firm, I'm wondering whether I can either remove the surround and bolt the base into it, or shape a bit of wood to fill the slot and then bolt onto the front of that (only considering the wood as it'd be less invasive).

I went for a low-tech solution in the end; a correctly shaped piece of wood (wrapped in neoprene for a bit of extra grip) works perfectly - the iPad is held rock solid :grin:

Thanks again,
Steve

Back