Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
has anyone done this?
Ours is coming up to 1 year in Uk and we would like to do it.
Do we have to wait for the service or can we update it ourselves?
We haven't noticed any errors yet.

You can do this yourself at any time, but I believe the updates to the maps themselves are a paid-for item and a service won't do this for free (I believe they will update firmware gratis, though I did this myself too).

has anyone done this?
Ours is coming up to 1 year in Uk and we would like to do it.
Do we have to wait for the service or can we update it ourselves?
We haven't noticed any errors yet.

If you hold down the Setup button for a few seconds you can find out what Map Version and also Firmware you have.

If you post that info here I should be able to tell you what upgrades are available.

If you hold down the Setup button for a few seconds you can find out what Map Version and also Firmware you have.

If you post that info here I should be able to tell you what upgrades are available.
Fabulous. Thanks for that, will look next time we're out in her :thumb

I've been wondering about that as the current map is pretty inaccurate despite it being a 2015.

Roundabouts that aren't there, half of Wales is missing or wrong and garages that were knocked down 15 years ago.

Not had any problems in Wales, where I live. There was a new Map update released this year.

Navigation DVD for Volkswagen RNS 510 & RNS 810,
Škoda RNS Columbus und Seat Mediasystem (CD_8195).

Content:
Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD
Content
Volume: CD_8195
Date: 7.7.2014
db: EU(2014Q1)
Area: West Europe
Subarea: West
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.20.412.84
Customer Version: V12
Customer: 1627386751
Customer Info: VW
Features: V10
TPD: 2014050019
SVD: EDB_20140518
TMC: 2014070020
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: V006.046 V007.037 V008.703 V009.036 V010.013

PR Nr.: 7RQ
EA -Teilenummer: 1T0 919 859 B
OZ-Teilenummer: 1T0 051 859 AH
hoster: Mega.co.nz
parts: 1 self extractable
Iso: 5.49 GB

This was the Setup Information - prior to update.

Delivery Part Nos: 7F0035686A
HW version H23
SW version 6270
Active Map Coverage Western Europe
Active map supplier Navteq
Map version HDD 8118

I got my Update DVD from Forum Sponsors SMG with forum discount -about £130 with postage. Local Dealership wanted over £200.

I had the same problem @MattBW , even though I'd updated to 2015 maps. I've replaced the RNS 510 now.

Hi Welsh gas,
Was your post done last Saturday, or was it a year ago?
I have just bought a new van, with RNS 510, and v 12 that you show there
That is the old disc, there is now version v13
I spoke to SMG about it, and they will send the upgrade disc for about £100,
I have a V 13 disc on its way from Ireland where I bought the van
They didn't know about it, till SMG told me they could get it
I noticed I needed it as I drove out of the garage in Ireland , onto a new road, and the sat nav said I was off road!!

V12 came out the beginning of this year. Most satnavs use map data from a few suppliers who get most of their data from the countries equivalent of the UK's Ordnance Survey. This data is then compiled for the different SatNav software engines. It normally runs about 12 to 18 months behind the present.
There is a new section of, I think the A11 open in Cambridgeshire. Had been open for about 18 months when I updated to V12. Still not on the updated maps.

I guess I wanted to point out that there is a V13 available now. Seems silly to pay 159 for the old version if a new one is out, and cheaper

Mine was updated from V11 to V12 in March 2015. Still showed a Local Roundabout that was replaced by Traffic lights 4 years previously, so I'll wait until 2016/17 for my next update. Just don't expect the Maps to be 100% accurate for new roads/junctions etc:.

Fair enough.
The V13 is advertised as the 2016 version.
I am not sure if I can share my new disc with friends once I have uploaded it, or can rent it out at a tenner a go, to help pay for the next one?

I guess I have just got a new beautiful toy and wanted it to start with all nice new up to date things.

Thinking about it, some of my walking maps are priced in shillings and pence, but seem to work pretty well! The old material ones, remember them?

I am not sure if I can share my new disc with friends once I have uploaded it, or can rent it out at a tenner a go, to help pay for the next one?

They are standard Dual Layer DVD's they are not tied to a vehicle so can be copied / shared. Legality of this is another matter of course.

Usually the maps are fairly easy to find to download on-line a few months after release, these files can be burned to DVD and used to update in the same way.

Yes, I downloaded V13 a couple of weeks ago, I think it was about £12, i realise it is not legal but the price that VW charge is criminal consindering I could buy a Garmin for the same price. Also the RNS510 is so old and dated now I sometimes still use my phone for navigation anyway.

Am I correct in thinking the Map updates include any newer firmware too?

Am I correct in thinking the Map updates include any newer firmware too?

No, the firmware is separate to the maps. Bit scary the first time you do it as there have been instances of it completely knackering the unit.

No, the firmware is separate to the maps. Bit scary the first time you do it as there have been instances of it completely knackering the unit.
I would only recomend updating firmware if you realy need it, ie you are having issues with the unit or REALY want a new function. There is always the small chance or rendering you unit unrepairably damaged.
That said I have done a couple of units with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Anyone have any idea what version of maps the RNS315 should be on? My van was registered June 2015.

Doesnt seem to be as much information about for the 315 as the 510. I have found the maps are very out of date when using in the real world.

Anyone have any idea what version of maps the RNS315 should be on? My van was registered June 2015.

Doesnt seem to be as much information about for the 315 as the 510. I have found the maps are very out of date when using in the real world.
I would contact SMG, forum sponsors, with the Map version you have . They should be able to tell you what is available and cost. They were the cheapest when getting my update disk and also very helpful .

As reserves says, easy to find on the net.
Don't forget that you will have to reset all your map preferences and reload any extra POIs (speedcams, Wild Camping etc) that you had previously.

As reserves says, easy to find on the net.
Don't forget that you will have to reset all your map preferences and reload any extra POIs (speedcams, Wild Camping etc) that you had previously.
That wasn't my experience when updating from V11 to V12 using the official VW update DVD on my RNS 510. Saved Destinations and Personal POI's were still intact after the Update. I don't know what happens after a Firmware update.

That wasn't my experience when updating from V11 to V12 using the official VW update DVD on my RNS 510. Saved Destinations and Personal POI's were still intact after the Update. I don't know what happens after a Firmware update.
There were changes to hdd partitioning in a version of firmware. Entire hdd got wiped & repartitioned as part of that particular firmware update. Can't remember which version it was.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That would explain it. Mine was just a Map Update.