Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how to update built in sat nav?

We have had real trouble updating our SD card. I got so fed up I contacted VW customer services. It kept saying error, not enough space and then refusing to download. After several emails in which they told me to buy a new card (I refused to do this) they have agreed to send me a new V10 card. Awaiting its arrival!

We have had real trouble updating our SD card. I got so fed up I contacted VW customer services. It kept saying error, not enough space and then refusing to download. After several emails in which they told me to buy a new card (I refused to do this) they have agreed to send me a new V10 card. Awaiting its arrival!

You may have already sorted this out and you may have already tried the following, but you have to delete the existing contents of the SD card before trying to copy the new version onto the card.

Hi thanks for your reply sorry so long to get back as been away. Did it work for you or do you still have x2 speed limits.

I've done a couple of longish journeys now and only have 1x speed limit after the latest update.

You may have already sorted this out and you may have already tried the following, but you have to delete the existing contents of the SD card before trying to copy the new version onto the card.
Not only do you need to delete the existing contents of the existing SD card, but you need to reformat the card too.

Preparing the SD-CDA card
• Push the switch on the SD-CDA card to “Unlock”. Now insert the SD-CDA card into your computer should it not yet be in your computer due to file backup.
• Delete all files on the SD-CDA card or reformat your SD-CDA card. It is imperative that the card is formatted as a FAT32 partition.
For full instructions follow the link below

Now sorted it out... Only shows the one limit...

I am using a Mac with DiscoverCare app and it wouldn't update to the linked version so I had to unzip and copy the files to the SD card manually. DicoverCare either said I was up to date or would download the older version!

Thanks for the help all.

Approaching J3 of the M25 today and the satnav announced it was J1 of the M20 (which it would have been had I been on the M20). Not very helpful!

The new Discovery Media (T6) VW Full Europe Map Bundle 1 as of June 2021 requires a VW 32GB card instead of the old VW 16GB card.
BUT to make the new full Europe map fit onto a VW 16GB card extract the Zip file onto a computer then delete the following folders ...

maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\ DELETE FOLDERS 'SEAT' AND 'SKODA' ... LEAVE FOLDER 'VW' AND FILES 'vw_default.cfg' AND vw_man.cfg'

maps\00\sds\ DELETE ALL FOLDERS EXCEPT YOUR LANGUAGE LEAVING YOUR LANGUAGE FOLDER e.g. 'GB' AND FILE 'meta_info.db'

The 'maps' folder should now be around 14.2GB and can to copied onto an older 'backed-up' and deleted 16GB card and placed in your car.

VW DISCOVERY MEDIA MAP 32GB.jpg

The new Discovery Media (T6) VW Full Europe Map Bundle 1 as of June 2021 requires a VW 32GB card instead of the old VW 16GB card.
BUT to make the new full Europe map fit onto a VW 16GB card extract the Zip file onto a computer then delete the following folders ...

maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\ DELETE FOLDERS 'SEAT' AND 'SKODA' ... LEAVE FOLDER 'VW' AND FILES 'vw_default.cfg' AND vw_man.cfg'

maps\00\sds\ DELETE ALL FOLDERS EXCEPT YOUR LANGUAGE LEAVING YOUR LANGUAGE FOLDER e.g. 'GB' AND FILE 'meta_info.db'

The 'maps' folder should now be around 14.2GB and can to copied onto an older 'backed-up' and deleted 16GB card and placed in your car.

View attachment 86820
I’m hoping this automatically updates on the 6.1 pro nav?

I’m hoping this automatically updates on the 6.1 pro nav?
The discovery pro has a hard drive so you should be able to just download the update an any usb stick >32GB and plug it into the pro to upload. Not sure if the Pro automatically updates it's maps.

Got a Ocean registered 2019 (build date approx Oct 2018). Does anyone know the approx cost for main dealer map update (I don't have a computer to update myself and not very computer savvy)

PS I have the "Discovery Media Navigation Plus" version

Got a Ocean registered 2019 (build date approx Oct 2018). Does anyone know the approx cost for main dealer map update (I don't have a computer to update myself and not very computer savvy)
You can get them here for £49.99, not sure of VW's price but I'd guess a fair bit more. Just check your model before you buy.

Why wouldn't you just use google maps which is free and updates free? Am I missing something with vw nav?

Why wouldn't you just use google maps which is free and updates free? Am I missing something with vw nav?
Some interesting tunnels in Norway with roundabouts, slip roads etc. My VW SatNav was faultless because when it loses the GPS signal it uses various vehicle sensors/data to determine direction and position. Likewise in downtown Sydney, Australia, with multiple tunnels, slip roads etc. phone based apps were useless, vehicle based SatNav faultless.

I love the VW sat nav. I’ve occasionally plugged my phone into it and have hated Google Maps.

I guess it’s a matter of personal preference.

I do need to update the map. Every time I drive along the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon I get repeated false directions.

I love the VW sat nav. I’ve occasionally plugged my phone into it and have hated Google Maps.

I guess it’s a matter of personal preference.

I do need to update the map. Every time I drive along the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon I get repeated false directions.
Much prefer the calm Paddington like tones of Google maps, compared to the strict VW lady that has sent us down single track lanes at the tiniest hint of traffic congestion.