Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How useful is the shop ladder? Any other essentials for new Beach?

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hopefully my new Beach will be here in a month or thereabouts (in build since week 33).

We're all super excited and I'm keen to use what good weather we have left to get the kids out for a weekend in the South Downs to enjoy it when it comes.

I'm looking at the ladder in the club shop as my kids are 7 and 10 and they will be sleeping up top, I really don't want them putting their feet all over the seats and I want them to be able to enter and leave the top bunk safely, does this make sense?

Any other essentials? I don't want to go overboard and buy stuff I will never use but I was looking at the Cadillac grill as it's been well rated on here. I have a Coleman petrol stove but the grill looks like it will be more convenient, especially for quick weekend trips as it will save packing pans etc.

I'll probably buy a fridge in time but I'll do all that once we've used the vehicle and have more idea of what we want.

I think getting up into the roof can be difficult for little ones and there is a tendency for them to stand on the arm rests which you dont want (it will break them). I dont personally find a need for them.

The ladder comes in a bag that can be clipped onto the back of the bench seat.

Should have a little video to demonstrate it, available after the Denmark trip. :)

Last edited:
I reckon Its one of those things to buy when you have tried it out a few times - like most things California accessories related really. Resist the temptation to go mad ..... my beach basics are - bike rack
hook up cable / Really Useful storage containers / WAECO CDF26 fridge / cassette stove / collapsible kettle / tea coffee cooking stuff / 10lt water container / duck down duvet / solar shower 10lt / twin 12v fan for when it gets hot / a dash mounted Hawaiian hula dancing girl

oh and an inflatable kayak and telescopic fishing rod

I bet cost of ladder < cost of an armrest repair as soon as kids have stood on it. Which they will.

Agree for kids but if i myself ever need a ladder to get in the Cali top bunk , then it's time for a Grand California.
And it does takes up space ....the ladder that is...2nd tought the Grand California also as it don't fit my garage:D

Thanks for the thoughts, might hold off a bit but it's hard not to buy stuff while waiting for the van :)

I've got an Amazon price watch (camel camel) on the Cadac grill although it's pretty cheap at the moment at £91 for the low pressure version.

Already arranged to have the bike rack fixed on delivery and extended warranty so will have to go back to being patient. Van is apparently still in build (started week 33), might give them another call later this week for an update.

I will do my very best to get a video of the ladder done before I go away, can't promise but will do my best. I think footage of it in use and stored will help you decide if its for you.

I was due to film last night but the nights are drawing in and I lost the light before I could do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts, might hold off a bit but it's hard not to buy stuff while waiting for the van :)

I've got an Amazon price watch (camel camel) on the Cadac grill although it's pretty cheap at the moment at £91 for the low pressure version.

Already arranged to have the bike rack fixed on delivery and extended warranty so will have to go back to being patient. Van is apparently still in build (started week 33), might give them another call later this week for an update.
We have found there is little you can't cook on a CampingGaz camp bistro available for around £10 that you can't cook of a Safari Chef (with the exception of pizza maybe).

The camping gaz bistro is something we have used a lot and it's a surprisingly effective burner and pretty compact. We cooked chilli for 6 on one of these without much trouble. I think I paid £6.50 for mine in the end of season sale at a local supermarket.

The only downside for these kind of burners for me is the cost of the gas per kg, which is expensive. Almost all systems get cheaper the more gas you buy of course (campinggaz gas is notoriously expensive in the UK but you can use other brands). If you don't cook every meal then they are a good option if you cook a lot they may get expensive to use. If you get the gas when on sale too then the cost per kg is much better.

Even with a slidepod and a Alpkit we still use this occasionally if we need an extra burner.

The ladder sounds a good idea for kids.

Inca waterproof seat covers on all seats. These are the number one essential accessory with kids and dogs. Fit them, forget them and let them do their worst. They are wipe clean and can be machine washed on a cool cycle when really grubby. They come up like new.

Because our grandchildren are young we also purchased waterproof mattress covers for both up and down stairs mattresses. It never ceases to amaze me how sticky these little creatures can be.

I also bought Brandrup over mats for all areas to protect the floor. They aren't essential but will save the floor which can mark easily and be difficult to clean (so I'm told).

For total comfort from damp, draught, and light ingress on bright evenings and mornings up top, we also purchased a Brandrup Isotop internal liner for the roof. Not essential but makes the roof lovely a cosy in the depths of winter and also seems to keeps it cooler in hot weather. Costs a lot but well worth the expense.

Anything else is down to personal choice and needs. Don't buy lots of stuff until you've used your van a few times. Take what you have from home at first. You'll soon find out what you actually need but more importantly what you don't. It will take you some time to work out how best to use your van, exactly what to take and how best to stow it. There is no set formula and you will keep changing and adapting your formula.

Enjoy your Beach. You've made a great choice.

I also bought Brandrup over mats for all areas to protect the floor. They aren't essential but will save the floor which can mark easily and be difficult to clean (so I'm told).

Enjoy your Beach. You've made a great choice.

We have taken to using Muddle Mats (two of) in our Beach to cover the floor, ultra absorbent, machine washable and only about £15 a mat.

We have taken to using Muddle Mats (two of) in our Beach to cover the floor, ultra absorbent, machine washable and only about £15 a mat.
Yes, we have those over the Brandrup mats. They are very cheap and as you say easy to clean. I've even jet washed ours!

The camping gaz bistro is something we have used a lot and it's a surprisingly effective burner and pretty compact. We cooked chilli for 6 on one of these without much trouble. I think I paid £6.50 for mine in the end of season sale at a local supermarket.

The only downside for these kind of burners for me is the cost of the gas per kg, which is expensive. Almost all systems get cheaper the more gas you buy of course (campinggaz gas is notoriously expensive in the UK but you can use other brands). If you don't cook every meal then they are a good option if you cook a lot they may get expensive to use. If you get the gas when on sale too then the cost per kg is much better.

Even with a slidepod and a Alpkit we still use this occasionally if we need an extra burner.
You can buy generic cans of gas from Home Bargains 4 for £4. On our recent 4 week trip to France we used 13 cans and cooked with it most evenings. Don’t run out in France though as they only seem to sell genuine Camping Gaz refills for €2 euros each.

we invested in one of those telescopic ladders. It stores laying flat in boot and stuff can stack on top of it. We fit it sideways in the gangway (seats swivelled)

I would say try it without the ladder, I found it much easier to get upstairs than I was expecting. I fold the armrests up out of the way to remove any temptation to stand on them. Just train the kids from day one!

As many have said to those eager to stock up on goodies prior to delivery, don't! Until you have some hands on time you really won't know what you need. What is essential to one person is clutter to another.
I've got a collection of redundant "essentials" that were a good idea at the time!

I would say try it without the ladder, I found it much easier to get upstairs than I was expecting. I fold the armrests up out of the way to remove any temptation to stand on them. Just train the kids from day one!
I bought a kids rope ladder to hang on back of head rest as I saw someone with one on my travels you only need 3 slats and can adjust the knots it takes 75kg about £10 from amazon

I've followed the advice on here and I've not bought one yet as I'm waiting for the van to arrive (if it ever does!).

If one of you can't get up top then it's very useful, doubles your living/sleeping area. If you can both get up without it then it just takes up space! :D

You will at some point need a hookup cable. We tried to get away with 10m but now use a 25m long cable. You will probably also need a 3-pin adapter to charge up at home.

We use a cheap portable gas stove (in fact we have two). We don't find the gas too expensive if you buy in bulk (we bought 28 from Amazon).

Like others, we also have Muddle Mats (or something like them). Bought them from Dunelm and cut to fit. We also bought a mattress topper from Dunelm. You will definitely need to put something down on the bench for sleeping, especially if you have a 3-seat bench.

To keep the seats clean, you could try putting microfibre towels or rugs on them until you know what you want. The Inka covers aren't to everybody's liking.

We have an external topper. It only gets used if its chilly or with driving rain. I considered the internal topper but I was concerned that it might make closing the roof a bit trickier. That might be unfounded but on a Beach there is quite a lot of fabric to roll-up behind the clips and you have to be careful not to trap any because it could cause tears. I would have thought an internal topper would only make it more difficult but I guess some cope fine.

I can't comment on ladders. My son sleeps up top and he is taller than me! Maybe try putting something soft on a front seat to give your children a step-up.

We bought a ladder from the forum shop a few weeks ago after trying the upstairs bed once without a ladder. As far as we are concerned, the ladder is essential - it makes things so much easier, especially climbing down in the in the dark. In previous threads the risk of damaging the elements in heated seats has been mentioned.

Back