Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HOWTO fit the original VW/Thule awning model 7H7 067 801

M

marchugo

I bought a used VW awning for our van. As I was fitting it, I took some pictures, which resulted in this Howto pdf. Hope it can be useful to others.

The awning type is 7H7 067 801, which is the original factory supplied sunshade from VW, specially made by Thule. So it is not the Omnistor model that Thule sells to their own customers.

It was fitted in about half an hour on my own, not really difficult. But it is advised to do it with two persons, as the awning is quite heavy (24 kilogram) and tends to fall down, scratching the van.

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Attachments

• Mounting_VW_awning_on_a_California.pdf
    214.2 KB · Views: 304
Great work Marc.
Is it OK for you we use it in the download section together with the other manuals,etc....?
@Martin , can you look in to this?

Last edited:
Thank you Marc, are you happy for this to be kept in the downloads section so it is easy for people to find?

I see I forgot to mention that the screwdriver used for fitting the awning is a Torx 30.

Marc.

Thank you Marc, are you happy for this to be kept in the downloads section so it is easy for people to find?

Sure

Regards,

Marc.

I bought a used VW awning for our van. As I was fitting it, I took some pictures, which resulted in this Howto pdf. Hope it can be useful to others.

The awning type is 7H7 067 801, which is the original factory supplied sunshade from VW, specially made by Thule. So it is not the Omnistor model that Thule sells to their own customers.

It was fitted in about half an hour on my own, not really difficult. But it is advised to do it with two persons, as the awning is quite heavy (24 kilogram) and tends to fall down, scratching the van.

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Does the awning unit itself just hang off the brackets with a couple of small fixings to hold it in place. I.e. Hooked over the top of the bracket then drilled through and bolted inside?

Ok. As I thought. Super easy to steal!!

Drill out the heads of the screws holding the awning on or replace with Torx heads

Ok. As I thought. Super easy to steal!!

Drill out the heads of the screws holding the awning on or replace with Torx heads

The screws are hidden under the pop-top only can be done with roof up!

Need to correct myself : the other screws are acesable with the awning winded out.

If you have a thief with the wind out pole and a torx ....

If you look at it that way , noting is safe

You don't need the pole. It turns with your fingers easily. It only needs to come out 100mm.

Excellent and very helpful guide.

I forgot to order the awning when I bought our Cali and I’m probably the only one that didn’t realise before I ordered the awning - but the Thule 5102 isn’t quite the same as the VW part from what I can see. Whilst you can fit the awning to the California brackets, it sits around 20cm further back than the VW version meaning the crank end sits level with the end of the boot lid rather than just before the boot opening as I’ve seen in other pics and videos. Have now listed the Orminster on Gumtree and will purchase correct awning from the site shop. Hope this is of some help to others considering the Orminster as a retro-fit for their Cali.

Back