Hybrid Campervan - anyone?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
5yr Warranty on Base vehicle that can be extended. Impact resistant colour coded plastic body panels, 60 miles electric, 300+ Hybrid, and built in Coventry.

Built in Coventry, converted by Wellhouse Leisure up north In Barnsley. They’ve been converting a few pure EV vans, one previously also for a manufacturer but seem to give up on them after a year or two. I was interested until I saw the length (the bonnet is wasted space?) and poor ground clearance.

5yr Warranty on Base vehicle that can be extended. Impact resistant colour coded plastic body panels, 60 miles electric, 300+ Hybrid, and built in Coventry.

This company is owned by the Chinese, I think.

Built in Coventry, converted by Wellhouse Leisure up north In Barnsley. They’ve been converting a few pure EV vans, one previously also for a manufacturer but seem to give up on them after a year or two. I was interested until I saw the length (the bonnet is wasted space?) and poor ground clearance.
Built in Coventry and photoshopped by Wellhouse Leisure so far...

• Haha
Reactions: Sad

There're pictures of them in the flesh on their website...

Wow.
It’s so ugly…!!!

Im coming round to owning an EV/hybrid
But not a Campervan. The technology isn’t there yet.

Wow.
It’s so ugly…!!!

Im coming round to owning an EV/hybrid
But not a Campervan. The technology isn’t there yet.
Ugly, agreed . What particular technology is not there yet? There are several transit-sized BEV panel vans now, the only limitation is their battery size which maxes out at around 75kWh. That would give a realistic range of 125 miles winter to 160 miles summer. They could easily take batteries around 125kWh but that would reduce the payload too much so for now range will be limited by energy density, that is improving over time but not particularly rapidly.

Ugly, agreed . What particular technology is not there yet? There are several transit-sized BEV panel vans now, the only limitation is their battery size which maxes out at around 75kWh. That would give a realistic range of 125 miles winter to 160 miles summer. They could easily take batteries around 125kWh but that would reduce the payload too much so for now range will be limited by energy density, that is improving over time but not particularly rapidly.

Ive had a Nissan works van for over 3 years.
Fully charged it states 95 miles. Real world doesn’t do anywhere near that in winter with heating and ventilation running.
There are bigger batteries now and the range has increased with the newer vans.
However until the range is 400 plus miles I’m not interested in a camper based EV vehicle.
Most campervans, are used for the purpose of touring and I’ve often driven 700-800 miles in one sitting.

I am open to buying an EV car, but that’s a completely different animal, with a different usage and I feel the technology is at point worth considering now.

However until the range is 400 plus miles I’m not interested in a camper based EV vehicle.
Most campervans, are used for the purpose of touring and I’ve often driven 700-800 miles in one sitting.

I am open to buying an EV car, but that’s a completely different animal, with a different usage and I feel the technology is at point worth considering now.
Agree with this... although it is a start and you would assume that other manufacturers must be developing EV / hybrid camper van versions. Now is not the time with this ugly duckling.

I’ve never quite understood why historically, taxis could not be more aesthetically designed.

It looks as if this project might have failed, at least for now. Although it is still shown on the LEVC website, it (the “Carissa”) has gone from the Wellhouse Leisure website. Also gone from the Wellhouse range is the e-Vivaro conversion. Over the years they have worked with several manufacturers of EVs but they seem to drop them after a very short time.

Back