Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I could contact the DVLA but I thought I'd ask you first.

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am currently contemplating replacing our T6 Beach with a repeat prescription, well almost. Our present van is a seven seater with integral child seats built into the two swivels (an expensive option which is no longer available). I am toying with the idea of ordering a five seater Beach and keeping the two swivel seats for occasional use. This will save me a considerable amount and I'd still keep the integral child seats should I ever need them in the future. Our current Beach is shown as a seven seater on the V11. Whilst this wouldn't be an issue to any new owner wanting a five seater, it has raised several questions about the new vehicle:

1. If I want the new five seat vehicle to be shown as a seven seater on the V11, is it just a case of simply asking the dealer to record it as a seven seater when they register it. I suspect that it's dictated by the manufacturers spec.
2. If the answer to 1 is no, then how complicated is it to get this changed with the DVLA after registration?
3. Would there be any other ramifications such as insurance etc?
4. I suspect that most people buy five seat Beaches. Am I correct?

Any advise would be welcome.

I am currently contemplating replacing our T6 Beach with a repeat prescription, well almost. Our present van is a seven seater with integral child seats built into the two swivels (an expensive option which is no longer available). I am toying with the idea of ordering a five seater Beach and keeping the two swivel seats for occasional use. This will save me a considerable amount and I'd still keep the integral child seats should I ever need them in the future. Our current Beach is shown as a seven seater on the V11. Whilst this wouldn't be an issue to any new owner wanting a five seater, it has raised several questions about the new vehicle:

1. If I want the new five seat vehicle to be shown as a seven seater on the V11, is it just a case of simply asking the dealer to record it as a seven seater when they register it. I suspect that it's dictated by the manufacturers spec.
2. If the answer to 1 is no, then how complicated is it to get this changed with the DVLA after registration?

Phone Laine at SMG Tonbridge and ask. If you don’t want them to know of your proposed purchase yet, give an equally competent dealer a call - you don’t even have to mention a California. The same will be true for a 5/7 seater Caravelle or Transporter.

Phone Laine at SMG Tonbridge and ask. If you don’t want them to know of your proposed purchase yet, give an equally competent dealer a call - you don’t even have to mention a California. The same will be true for a 5/7 seater Caravelle or Transporter.
Thanks Tom,
I shall be seeing him on Tuesday and will ask him then. I just thought that someone on the forum may have done this and know the answers.

Our present van is a seven seater with integral child seats built into the two swivels (an expensive option which is no longer available).
I think that they are still available for the Caravelle so could be ordered separately from a Beach order.

They are hopeless for long journeys when children might fall asleep as there is no side support, but it’s great to have the option to take four children under 10 in our van, two in the additional seats and two in child seats on the bench.

I think that they are still available for the Caravelle so could be ordered separately from a Beach order.

They are hopeless for long journeys when children might fall asleep as there is no side support, but it’s great to have the option to take four children under 10 in our van, two in the additional seats and two in child seats on the bench.
I totally agree. I have never felt that they were that good compared to a conventional purpose built booster seat but as you say, they are just the thing for the occasional trip with school friends or cousins. Being a fixed size with no adjustment, the amount of time that they would fit the young occupant perfectly would be very limited. So IMO, they aren't suitable for regular use.

I wouldn't go to the effort and extra expense of ordering this integral child seat option, it's just that our ex demo van had them from new. It just seems a shame to sell them with the van only to order two swivels with the new one, albeit without the integral child seats.To be fair, whilst the swivels get occasional use for the likes of family events and family holiday airport transfers etc, we have hardly ever used the children's seat element. However, even though they don't get used that much, I wouldn't be without the two swivels. They compliment the vans flexibility.

I totally agree. I have never felt that they were that good compared to a conventional purpose built booster seat but as you say, they are just the thing for the occasional trip with school friends or cousins. Being a fixed size with no adjustment, the amount of time that they would fit the young occupant perfectly would be very limited. So IMO, they aren't suitable for regular use.

I wouldn't go to the effort and extra expense of ordering this integral child seat option, it's just that our ex demo van had them from new. It just seems a shame to sell them with the van only to order two swivels with the new one, albeit without the integral child seats.To be fair, whilst the swivels get occasional use for the likes of family events and family holiday airport transfers etc, we have hardly ever used the children's seat element. However, even though they don't get used that much, I wouldn't be without the two swivels. They compliment the vans flexibility.

I reckon we’ve driven about 10 miles with 3 or 4 under tens. At £200 per chair more for the integrated child seat, that option has cost us ~£40 per mile.

Still, we have another six years with under tens, so there is plenty of scope to rack up the miles with Ben and Jack and a friend each in the Beach.

My 2012 Beach configured from new with the 2 seater rear bench has always shown on the V5 as a 7 seater. It did originally have the extra seat (which I sold) but that only got it up to max of 5 seats.
I suspect all Beaches are registered as the max possible in any configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be no problem getting the 5 seater registered as a 7 seater either by the Dealership or post registration by yourself. Obviously the number of seats have an Insurance implication so the Insurance Company should be notified if the number of seats are changed post-Registration.

Back