Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I don't like my Cadac Safari Chef 2!

A

a892374923874

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
But I'm not sure I'd like the alternatives better. :)

I have 3 gas appliances. The Cadac, a cheap Campingaz Bistro equivalent, and an Alpkit Brukit as a kettle. I generally cook meat/sauce in the Cadac bow or grill, and a pasta/rice on the Bistro stove. There are 4 of us to cater for - 2 kids aged 6 and 4. We will typically be spending 1 to 2 nights in a place, so speed of setup and stowage is important.

I do like that the Cadac has the built in legs and all zips up into a nice bag and that it is quick to set up and pack, and the lid is useful for keeping wind off.

I don't like that it is such a pain to clean, and food sticks to it so easily. I also don't like that the grill isn't quite big enough to cook for 4 in one go. Ideal if we were 2 though.

Thinking of selling it and getting something else.

1. I could get a Dual burner stove like the CampingGaz Xcelerate 600 and a set of collapsible frying pans/saucepans. I like that it has a built in stand and windshield, and looks quick to set up. But it doesn't have great reviews, and doesn't seem to be able to do gentle heat.

2. I could get another £15 Bistro and the collapsible pans and I've got a dual stove set up for little cost. 2 frying pans on the go give me the cooking area for 4 people.

3. I could upgrade in size and cost to the Carri Chef. I suspect this has the same sticking problems and is still a pain to clean, and is probably takes up way too much space for just 4 people on a 1 to 2 night stay.

4. Just stick with the Cadac, quit complaining, and find something else to worry about.

5. Any other alternatives?

Leaning to option 2 at the moment. Anyone had the same (1st world) problems?

If you are after a dual burner then I highly recommend Primus Tupike as it is much better than the other 'camping' stoves for low heat/ simmering and can take many different types of gas canisters (via adapters).

yes, it is hard work to clean, my bbq plate isn't clean
even when its clean.

my piezo doesn't work and the gas is hard to regulate, cooking for 2
is okay but for anymore you have to do it in shifts.

it is convenient and a quick set up but when you factor in the cleaning
its not a hands down winner over a charcoal bbq.

Last edited:
I binned mine off and went for the cadac 2cook2pro. Never looked back.
That looks a reasonable option. Did you compare with the Campinggaz versions?

Does it simmer well?

The "fat pockets" look helpful on the griddle, I imagine they soon fill up though?

I have the table top cadac grillo chef

I do like that pic, but I'd probably have to leave a child behind to make space for it, and then I wouldn't need such a big cooking area.

Last edited:
Yes it’s great. I like the cadac products, and I know they will last for many years.
Not chucked anything out of the pan yet for it to catch, but it simmers perfectly. I’ve also put a quick release gas clip on the flex hose so i can put the bottle on other things without having to unscrew the regulator.
Here it is in action last Saturday sorting our bacon and brew water out.
Comes with a good carry bag/case as well.

448E4031-3540-4332-8C8C-A61C51333F9F.jpeg

But I'm not sure I'd like the alternatives better. :)

I have 3 gas appliances. The Cadac, a cheap Campingaz Bistro equivalent, and an Alpkit Brukit as a kettle. I generally cook meat/sauce in the Cadac bow or grill, and a pasta/rice on the Bistro stove. There are 4 of us to cater for - 2 kids aged 6 and 4. We will typically be spending 1 to 2 nights in a place, so speed of setup and stowage is important.

I do like that the Cadac has the built in legs and all zips up into a nice bag and that it is quick to set up and pack, and the lid is useful for keeping wind off.

I don't like that it is such a pain to clean, and food sticks to it so easily. I also don't like that the grill isn't quite big enough to cook for 4 in one go. Ideal if we were 2 though.

Thinking of selling it and getting something else.

1. I could get a Dual burner stove like the CampingGaz Xcelerate 600 and a set of collapsible frying pans/saucepans. I like that it has a built in stand and windshield, and looks quick to set up. But it doesn't have great reviews, and doesn't seem to be able to do gentle heat.

2. I could get another £15 Bistro and the collapsible pans and I've got a dual stove set up for little cost. 2 frying pans on the go give me the cooking area for 4 people.

3. I could upgrade in size and cost to the Carri Chef. I suspect this has the same sticking problems and is still a pain to clean, and is probably takes up way too much space for just 4 people on a 1 to 2 night stay.

4. Just stick with the Cadac, quit complaining, and find something else to worry about.

5. Any other alternatives?

Leaning to option 2 at the moment. Anyone had the same (1st world) problems?

If you can cope with the smaller size then go with Option 4 but buy some Cadac cleaner spray. It works a treat if you spray it on in the evening after you’ve finished cooking and then clean in the morning.

Crank it up to 11 and let it smoke for a bit. Everything turns to ash and just brushes off.

I’ve got both and cleaning-wise the Carri chef is just samesame but bigger. Takes loads of space in the van too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m well pleased with my cadac. I just pop the lid on crank the heat up to max and leave it to smoke and burn the residue of the night before. Seems to work ok with mine

Grillo Chef for us; combined with the paella pan it covers all bases. Smaller than the carri chef, but big enough for the 4 of us; don’t agree it takes up much space. Cleaning is easy, put some water in the base and its a very easy wipe out post bbq. Food doesn’t stick at all. Paella pan is brilliant and sits perfectly under the grillo chef in the boot. Run it off a pair of canisters, easy to source and take up very ltitle space. Can you tell.......we think it’s great.....

Grillo Chef for us; combined with the paella pan it covers all bases. Smaller than the carri chef, but big enough for the 4 of us; don’t agree it takes up much space. Cleaning is easy, put some water in the base and its a very easy wipe out post bbq. Food doesn’t stick at all. Paella pan is brilliant and sits perfectly under the grillo chef in the boot. Run it off a pair of canisters, easy to source and take up very ltitle space. Can you tell.......we think it’s great.....

Ah, that might be the one. Big enough for all 4 of us, and non stick pans. Decent 3kW burner as well.

When we want to do things simple or fast, we use a simple foldable stove outside of the van, for meat, bacon, etc and use the normal stove inside the van for water, vegetables, rice, pasta, etc. Never felt we needed anything else.
vango-lightweight-camping-stove-768x768.jpg

When we don't have to be fast, we also have a grate to grill things above a camp fire.

That looks like kit I’m not up to speed on?

Is that a normal regulator screwed into a small Calor canister?

Lotus grill comes in handy for quick beach bbq’s..and we also have a gas Cobb with an adaptor to run off standard camping gaz bottles.

1595429977090.png

I use this one which takes 2 canisters:
1595599777167.jpeg
The grillo chef presumably has a slightly bigger burner than the safari chef. This set up works really well but I don’t know whether the 2 x canisters means a better flow/pressure to the burner than through a single canister regulator or just that combined they last twice as long. Any gas engineers care to venture an opinion?

Back