Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ice in a Camper

F

Flood51

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We had out first weekend away after taking delivery in March. My wife is a primary teacher on 75-85 hour weeks and normally can't spare a weekend but I managed to persuade her last weekend. Everything about this van is perfect and we had a great time but I normally like a G&T sundowner at the weekends and I missed the ice. Anyone has any tips ? I guess a cool box and some ice cubes from the fridge at home would have been a plan.

If you turn the fridge in max cooling setting you can scratch ice of from the sides...:D

Hi Floods21, sorry I can't add anything further about the ice but I just wanted to say that I feel your wife's pain! Nice to hear from someone with a realistic view of the workload in this easy 9-3 job :rolleyes:

Maud

Hi Floods21, sorry I can't add anything further about the ice but I just wanted to say that I feel your wife's pain! Nice to hear from someone with a realistic view of the workload in this easy 9-3 job :rolleyes:

Maud
Maud don't worry, my wife has just quit to do supply and my daughter an early years teacher has moved from working in the inner city to a private school. Can't say anymore on this forum.

Chill the fridge right down.

Freeze in the home freezer about 4-6 plastic "curry take-away" containers filled with water.

Get a bag of ice, wrap in the "ice Blocks", place in the base of the fridge, will last best part of a week.

Chill the fridge right down.

Freeze in the home freezer about 4-6 plastic "curry take-away" containers filled with water.

Get a bag of ice, wrap in the "ice Blocks", place in the base of the fridge, will last best part of a week.
GJ very helpful thanks

We had out first weekend away after taking delivery in March. My wife is a primary teacher on 75-85 hour weeks and normally can't spare a weekend but I managed to persuade her last weekend. Everything about this van is perfect and we had a great time but I normally like a G&T sundowner at the weekends and I missed the ice. Anyone has any tips ? I guess a cool box and some ice cubes from the fridge at home would have been a plan.
Or this?
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/small-portable-ice-maker/67689

We like Ice in our drinks. We put our stainless steel flask in the freezer with the lid off. The morning we are setting off we put our ice cubes in the flask and pop it in the Cali fridge. The Ice stays frozen for 2 days easily and there is no mess with defrosting and it takes up the minimum of space. The freezing down of the flask before hand makes it very efficient from the start.

I am of the turn up fridge add a bag of ice at £1 member, works for us - simple cheap add a plastic box to catch the melt.

serious question,

Any one have any suggestions re ice making. Can it be done?

serious question,

Any one have any suggestions re ice making. Can it be done?
I can't claim this one but a Cali owner I met was talking about a project he was working on to use the ice cube bags ( Waitrose essentials!) hung down the back wall of the fridge. Given that my salad freezes when stored there I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I can't claim this one but a Cali owner I met was talking about a project he was working on to use the ice cube bags ( Waitrose essentials!) hung down the back wall of the fridge. Given that my salad freezes when stored there I don't see why it shouldn't work.
Many thanks I will give it a go.

Can confirm it works, with most compressor fridges, put the bag between the basket and the wall of the fridge and it should freeze them even when the fridge is set above freezing:)