Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'd be mad not to!

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I currently own a 2018 Ocean, 204ps with 17K miles on. Have a fair few extras on from when it was purchased. Well I'm 2.5 years into the 10 year finance plan and decided to see what my settlement figure was as I was bored the other day and to be honest thought it was still be £50K+, well it turns out its £42K so that was a nice surprise. I decided to send a enquiry to one of the dealerships about a new T6.1 and was pleasantly surprised when they offered me £49.5K for my van. £7.5k positive equity after 2.5 years into a 10 year finance!! So the long and short of it is they can put me in a new T6.1 Ocean with the options I've requested and no money down and it works out £50 per month cheaper than I'm paying now. Apart from starting the finance again I'm trying to find a negative in it all.

So I currently own a 2018 Ocean, 204ps with 17K miles on. Have a fair few extras on from when it was purchased. Well I'm 2.5 years into the 10 year finance plan and decided to see what my settlement figure was as I was bored the other day and to be honest thought it was still be £50K+, well it turns out its £42K so that was a nice surprise. I decided to send a enquiry to one of the dealerships about a new T6.1 and was pleasantly surprised when they offered me £49.5K for my van. £7.5k positive equity after 2.5 years into a 10 year finance!! So the long and short of it is they can put me in a new T6.1 Ocean with the options I've requested and no money down and it works out £50 per month cheaper than I'm paying now. Apart from starting the finance again I'm trying to find a negative in it all.
Seems like the Finance company haven't kept pace with the market.

Park the finance to one side for a moment. What did you pay for your van, including the extras and modifications. The difference between this and £49.5K is your loss. What’s the cost of the new one by the time you’ve put the extras on it. The difference is your cost to change. How you choose to fund that figure is irrelevant. Don’t let the tail wag the dog.

Go for the T6.1 you won't regret it.

Only concern would be delivery date & some sort of guarantee on the trade in. If the new van doesn't turn up till September you could well find the trade in value has plummeted. Let them have your van early & you miss the summer.
Thats why I went for a preregistered van a couple of weeks ago. I knew when I would get it - an agonising 4 day wait, and I had the ludicrously high trade in figure as a definite.

Squeeze the dealer a bit more!

It might be worth checking out the new PCP deal that VW have just put up for the Ocean - it looks a reasonably low APR & you can now do a 5 year PCP. which leaves a reasonably low final figure.

Important thing is to agree what you are taking out your old van, Ive spent a lot on carpets, new isotop & need a new bike rack, that lot adds up to a few thousand.

Go for the T6.1 you won't regret it.

Only concern would be delivery date & some sort of guarantee on the trade in. If the new van doesn't turn up till September you could well find the trade in value has plummeted. Let them have your van early & you miss the summer.
Thats why I went for a preregistered van a couple of weeks ago. I knew when I would get it - an agonising 4 day wait, and I had the ludicrously high trade in figure as a definite.

Squeeze the dealer a bit more!

It might be worth checking out the new PCP deal that VW have just put up for the Ocean - it looks a reasonably low APR & you can now do a 5 year PCP. which leaves a reasonably low final figure.

Important thing is to agree what you are taking out your old van, Ive spent a lot on carpets, new isotop & need a new bike rack, that lot adds up to a few thousand.
Thanks for pointing out the new VW finance deals - my finance quote on order was at 3.6% and its now its 2.8%!

Not knowing a whole load about finance options would a 5 year PCP have any advantage over the 10 year plan if say at 4-5 years on either deal you would be swapping to a new vehicle?

Last edited:
Hi .. you done well I 5hink I was offered £,45000, our van has so many extras to list plus 5 year warranty and that's what SMG offered me and then a man called Lain? Offered me another £ 2500 on top. 2019 ocean.. So would you be so kind to tell me who the dealers is , I am still thinking about a 6.1 at the end of year, maybe. Regards John

Not knowing a whole load about finance options would a 5 year PCP have any advantage over the 10 year plan if say at 4-5 years on either deal you would be swapping to a new vehicle?
Only at the moment VW do a better interest rate for PCP. On the flip side on the 10 year deal you don’t have to worry about whether you can get a loan etc in five years time.

Hi .. you done well I 5hink I was offered £,45000, our van has so many extras to list plus 5 year warranty and that's what SMG offered me and then a man called Lain? Offered me another £ 2500 on top. 2019 ocean.. So would you be so kind to tell me who the dealers is , I am still thinking about a 6.1 at the end of year, maybe. Regards John
HI Its Breeze in Poole

Sounds like you’re getting a stonking deal.
Surely having a newer van in two years from now will be more beneficial also...?

Just reminded of the old adage, which may still be true. GM made more profits lending people money to buy cars, than selling the cars themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to VW.

:bananadance2

Hi , sounds like it is Laine Watts at SMG Tonbridge , Nice bloke, Bought my cali from him, Good Service!

Back