Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Cali on its way

What will my T6 Ocean be worth in 5 or 6 years?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
I didn't buy my Cali to use it in 5 or 6 years time. I bought it to use now. Enjoy today as tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Just enjoy it now:thumb
Based on the year's wait for a current model, delivery times will not be swift. You have to "worry" about the T7 before then too.

If you want a Cali today, you have to buy what is available today. That is the only option.
I am not preaching, just saying that you cannot be worrying about 2027.;)

I didn't buy my Cali to use it in 5 or 6 years time. I bought it to use now. Enjoy today as tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Just enjoy it now:thumb
Based on the year's wait for a current model, delivery times will not be swift. You have to "worry" about the T7 before then too.

If you want a Cali today, you have to buy what is available today. That is the only option.
I am not preaching, just saying that you cannot be worrying about 2027.;)
I'm not worrying, I love my van. Would definitely be interested in changing to electric when the opportunity arises though

So 2025 onwards. Seems to knock on the head the belief, held by some, that the id Buzz range would not have a Campervan version.
I wonder if it will be redesigned, from the habitation side of things, with electric cooker and ? Heater run from the vehicle battery rather than separate leisure batteries. I can see it having a manual roof to reduce power requirements.
Whether the 2 motor version mentioned would be available is a moot point with weight being a consideration.

What will my T6 Ocean be worth in 5 or 6 years?

Interesting. It’ll be good to watch electric California news over the next few years. In respect of future values of diesel California’s - who knows? Prices could well go up from the middle of this decade as T6.1 approaches the end of it’s production life and the EV version hasn’t yet hit the streets? Affordability and range of the EV version might also prop up demand for ICE versions for a good few years? Long term though the EV should be a great option and probably most people’s preference.

Ordered our Cali back in June despite reservations & warnings from my pals about the imminent arrival of an electric cali.

So I was interested when my brother told me it took him 6 hours to drive his new e-tron the 130miles down to London. I understand the vehicle will tell you where the chargers are, maybe even if they are "booked" ( can you book charging points ?). But despite this, a combination of broken chargers, queues at the motorway services where chargers were working (whose keeping tabs on the queue order ?!?!) and the slow speed of charging when he did eventually get one (I understand the superfast high wattage chargers are like hens teeth) all took their toll. With two fed-up young children whining in the back while he debated the merits of waiting in a queue or trying to stretch the charge to the next service station you can imagine it was a grim journey. The car tells you how much mileage you have but I understand this changes depending on what features of the car are drawing on the available charge. And all this was in the South East. I guess charging points in the Lakes, Scotland and North in general (where we will be going) are going to be less available. No doubt range & infrastructure will improve but the pace of improvement will need to outstrip the growth in sales of electric vehicles. Feels like a very long-term project.

Anyway, all this gave me some comfort we have made the right decision to press on with a 6.1, seize the day right ? I await my happy bubble being burst by those better informed than me..

So 2025 onwards. Seems to knock on the head the belief, held by some, that the id Buzz range would not have a Campervan version.
The presentation by VW suggests this is not a conversion of the ID Buzz but is a different vehicle built on the MEB platform. Semantics, perhaps.

The presentation by VW suggests this is not a conversion of the ID Buzz but is a different vehicle built on the MEB platform. Semantics, perhaps.
In which case it could all be integrated with the vehicle battery. Who knows.

Ordered our Cali back in June despite reservations & warnings from my pals about the imminent arrival of an electric cali.

So I was interested when my brother told me it took him 6 hours to drive his new e-tron the 130miles down to London. I understand the vehicle will tell you where the chargers are, maybe even if they are "booked" ( can you book charging points ?). But despite this, a combination of broken chargers, queues at the motorway services where chargers were working (whose keeping tabs on the queue order ?!?!) and the slow speed of charging when he did eventually get one (I understand the superfast high wattage chargers are like hens teeth) all took their toll. With two fed-up young children whining in the back while he debated the merits of waiting in a queue or trying to stretch the charge to the next service station you can imagine it was a grim journey. The car tells you how much mileage you have but I understand this changes depending on what features of the car are drawing on the available charge. And all this was in the South East. I guess charging points in the Lakes, Scotland and North in general (where we will be going) are going to be less available. No doubt range & infrastructure will improve but the pace of improvement will need to outstrip the growth in sales of electric vehicles. Feels like a very long-term project.

Anyway, all this gave me some comfort we have made the right decision to press on with a 6.1, seize the day right ? I await my happy bubble being burst by those better informed than me..
Surely an E tron does more than 130miles on one charge?

And you’ve definitely done the right thing, the current California is absolutely fantastic to own and although I’m sure the ID Cali will be great, it won’t be here for a good few years yet!

He clearly started out with a less than topped up e-tron, which wasn't ideal. I've had a polestar for a year/12,000 miles with zero charging or range problems. Infrastructure has been fine and is getting even better really quickly.

I'd jump to an electric Cali in a heartbeat.

Agree. Our pool car ID3 has done circa 22,000 miles in a year. Longest trip was Southampton to Edinburgh

Agree. Our pool car ID3 has done circa 22,000 miles in a year. Longest trip was Southampton to Edinburgh
I read a lot about Tesla’s fantastic charging network, and how unreliable ‘the rest’ is (or at least, was). Is there a coherent network now for ‘the rest’? Or do you need multiple memberships of different schemes; find that the charger you were limping to is broken/full etc?

I read a lot about Tesla’s fantastic charging network, and how unreliable ‘the rest’ is (or at least, was). Is there a coherent network now for ‘the rest’? Or do you need multiple memberships of different schemes; find that the charger you were limping to is broken/full etc?
Its not quite as simple as Tesla, but you just need a couple of accounts and you're covered. It's easy, and once ecotricity at motorway services is all replaced the reliability will be fine. A lot of scaremongering going on from people who don't use the network all the time IMO.

A lot of understanding and guessing there. I’ve had a Polestar 2 for over a year and a Kia e-Niro for a year prior to that and not found charging to be an issue. Last September I drove 600 miles from Cambridgeshire to the north Coast and back. I made four charging stops in each direction (could have made it with three but needed comfort breaks anyhow) averaging 35 minutes each with no need to queue. The only. time I have had to queue whilst on a road trip was at lunchtime at Gretna services last August - that is a particularly busy services.

I do envisage main route service area charger availability getting worse before it gets better as the sales of EVs are soaring and many of the hubs currently being installed are not on the main routes. Gridserve’s ambition to install additional charges at the existing services is being delayed by electricity supply issues. Wales and rural Scotland are particularly poorly served with few chargers installed and poorly maintained in some areas.

I also ordered my diesel Cali back in June. I’m not at all happy to be going back to an internal combustion engine but have explored the EV camper alternatives and at the moment none of them would work for me. As soon as one does I will buy it and my Cali will go to someone else for the rest of its lifetime.

A lot of understanding and guessing there. I’ve had a Polestar 2 for over a year and a Kia e-Niro for a year prior to that and not found charging to be an issue. Last September I drove 600 miles from Cambridgeshire to the north Coast and back. I made four charging stops in each direction (could have made it with three but needed comfort breaks anyhow) averaging 35 minutes each with no need to queue. The only. time I have had to queue whilst on a road trip was at lunchtime at Gretna services last August - that is a particularly busy services.

I do envisage main route service area charger availability getting worse before it gets better as the sales of EVs are soaring and many of the hubs currently being installed are not on the main routes. Gridserve’s ambition to install additional charges at the existing services is being delayed by electricity supply issues. Wales and rural Scotland are particularly poorly served with few chargers installed and poorly maintained in some areas.

I also ordered my diesel Cali back in June. I’m not at all happy to be going back to an internal combustion engine but have explored the EV camper alternatives and at the moment none of them would work for me. As soon as one does I will buy it and my Cali will go to someone else for the rest of its lifetime.
…meant to say “north coast of Scotland and back”.

We have never faced an issue with charging.

For non Tesla chargers you do need a to set up a few charging accounts initially, but no different in setting yourself on one of the many car parking apps. Once you have done a few you have covered most options. We parked in Brighton on Friday evening in the town centre multi--storey, 25% of the charge bays were empty on arrival. Took 60 seconds to set up the app, then charged whilst we went ice skating. (£9 for approx 200miles). Once set up App's can display a map of the UK showing other charge locations and live availability.

Tesla charging is very slick. Car works out when you will be below 20% battery (best level for the battery to fast charge) , then automatically factors suitable it in to the navigation, pre-conditions the battery just before arrival so it’s ready to take the fast charge. Can either charge just enough to complete the journey, or full charge if required. If you sit on the charger after the charge is complete, then an idle fee is levied to discourage hogging the charge points.

For non Tesla chargers you do need a to set up a few charging accounts initially, but no different in setting yourself on one of the many car parking apps. Once you have done a few you have covered most options. We parked in Brighton on Friday evening in the town centre multi--storey, 25% of the charge bays were empty on arrival. Took 60 seconds to set up the app, then charged whilst we went ice skating. (£9 for approx 200miles). Once set up App's can display a map of the UK showing other charge locations and live availability.

Tesla charging is very slick. Car works out when you will be below 20% battery (best level for the battery to fast charge) , then automatically factors suitable it in to the navigation, pre-conditions the battery just before arrival so it’s ready to take the fast charge. Can either charge just enough to complete the journey, or full charge if required. If you sit on the charger after the charge is complete, then an idle fee is levied to discourage hogging the charge points.
You don't live in the sticks then.

electric charging lamp post.jpg
I see these electric charging points appearing in lamp posts in London. I expect they are expensive to use, but that they are a game changer for many without driveways, or for visitors of people who don't own an electric car.

Homeowners going green face rising costs

Homeowners going green face rising costs

Some homeowners - from the article: “A spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy said: “The vast majority of domestic consumers will not need to pay for an upgraded connection to accommodate a heat pump and electric vehicle charger. Where costs are chargeable, these are regulated by Ofgem to ensure they are calculated appropriately.””

Some homeowners - from the article: “A spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy said: “The vast majority of domestic consumers will not need to pay for an upgraded connection to accommodate a heat pump and electric vehicle charger. Where costs are chargeable, these are regulated by Ofgem to ensure they are calculated appropriately.””
Costs are regulated to ensure there is no profiteering but can still be substantial for older urban properties. It's just another charge that has not been publisised. Converting a house from gas heating doesn't just mean fitting a heat source pump running off electricity it also includes electric water heating, possibly electric showers, electric cookers etc. My shower and cooker are rated at 30 and 40 amps respectively. Add in a charger and heat pump and the requirements increase. Fortunately I have a higher rated supply but others don't. I gather our local substation would have to be substantially upgraded to meet demand at a cost to be paid by customers one way or another.

Back