Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ideas for 2-3 week trip with a 4 year old

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Just had our Neilson holiday to Sardinia cancelled late August so looking for alternatives.

Thinking of taking a bit more time off and perhaps heading to Croatia or Northern Spain in the Cali. Perhaps 2 or 3 base locations some days out and some chilling days. He loves swimming, cycling (can do about 10km at a time if it’s fairly flat and being on the water (hence Neilson/Mark Warner being an easy option).
Conscious of potential hell of hours of driving (unless we drive overnight) not a lot of fun for him and also having facilities/ other kids to play with being a bonus when we get to a destination.

Any thoughts or any completely different ideas most welcome!!

Try the Yelloh Village group. About 80 sites in France, we love them
Agreed. We stayed here last year and it was excellent for our then 4yo and 2yo.

We stayed in one of their lodges (the luxury ones) via Eurocamp and took a flight there, rather than driving down in Cali. There were two Calis on site whilst we were there - one a Cali Ocean Red edition from Germany - and one Marco Polo.

Lake Annecy for swimming and cycling plus a visit to the Swiss Alps. Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen.

I was going to recommend Yelloh Village too!

I'd recommend https://www.leserignanplage.com/ with a 4 year old. Very relaxing and lovely. Be sure to go to the pottery house with the weeun when it's open.

It's very near the Alpha campsite above. Both use the same beach which is knee deep for about 30m out. Prefect to dig and safely explore.

Croatia is beautiful, but pebbles not sand so we ruled it out for a few years as digging is a favourite activity.

Holland.
Not to far to drive with a mix of nice countryside and beaches.
Loads of cycling.

Esterel campsite was very good for our two kids. Excellent outdoor pools/slides plus bonus of an indoor splash pool if the weather turns. Lots of other onsite activities, good entertainment & a stones throw from Agay with its lovely beach which you can easily cycle to. Agay also has a train link along the coast to the likes of Cannes.

Just had our Neilson holiday to Sardinia cancelled late August so looking for alternatives.

Thinking of taking a bit more time off and perhaps heading to Croatia or Northern Spain in the Cali. Perhaps 2 or 3 base locations some days out and some chilling days. He loves swimming, cycling (can do about 10km at a time if it’s fairly flat and being on the water (hence Neilson/Mark Warner being an easy option).
Conscious of potential hell of hours of driving (unless we drive overnight) not a lot of fun for him and also having facilities/ other kids to play with being a bonus when we get to a destination.

Any thoughts or any completely different ideas most welcome!!
We are planning a 2/3 week holiday at the end of August with boys aged 5 & 6.

We are also considering northern Croatia, Krk to be specific, and here to be even more specific:

Last August we stayed here:

And May 2019 half term here:

All three have water parks, and cycling possibilities. Krk has miles and miles of forest cycle trails on the doorstep.

Italian Lakes fantastic swimming and cycling, we stayed at Camping Rivabella near Lecco on Lake Como last year then you could go over to Venice, never booked a site even in July and August when our daughter was of school age. Never not got a site. We have always tried to find quieter sites with a decent pool and great views.IMG-20191026-WA0009[1].jpg
Camping Rivabella Lake Como.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Looks like we are going to gead to SW France/Northern Spain. The plan is to spend some time between Isle de Re and San Sebastian, probable staying in three different locations.

Need to work out where to go and what to do - lots of choice!

I know I have said this before, and I am not on commission, but we have just booked another 2 weeks with Yelloh! Village in France.

Italian Lakes fantastic swimming and cycling, we stayed at Camping Rivabella near Lecco on Lake Como last year then you could go over to Venice, never booked a site even in July and August when our daughter was of school age. Never not got a site. We have always tried to find quieter sites with a decent pool and great views.View attachment 61753
Camping Rivabella Lake Como.
That looks perfect!

Yes they look good. We also saw a Huttopia near Lac de Carcans near Bordeaux which looked pretty good.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Looks like we are going to gead to SW France/Northern Spain. The plan is to spend some time between Isle de Re and San Sebastian, probable staying in three different locations.

Down that way 2 years ago...
Liked:
Camping at Sequoia Park
Loved:
Dune Du Pilat
Biscarosse Plage
We stayed at La Rive and although its nice, didn’t love it.
The Aquapark and the Beach on the lake are nice.

EC7C44DB-3230-4659-9B4C-E6FC4A938B38.png

7042B275-2D4D-4CCC-BEC5-E7B2DA25A194.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m just wondering are you guys still planning European trips this summer? I just wonder what’s the potential risk of lockdowns due to CV etc? I’m thinking UK will be packed on campsites and Europe could be quieter than normal (maybe). I don’t know that is just speculation but not sure if We are brave enough to go. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferry booked for last 3 weeks of August, heading to SW France.

I’m just wondering are you guys still planning European trips this summer? I just wonder what’s the potential risk of lockdowns due to CV etc? I’m thinking UK will be packed on campsites and Europe could be quieter than normal (maybe). I don’t know that is just speculation but not sure if We are brave enough to go. Any thoughts?

We plan to go 14 August to 1 September but will book late. Eurotunnel prices have fallen in the last week, but at £440 return still far too high. Ferry is currently £230 return for those dates.

If there is to be a second wave, it is most likely to be in the winter when everyone is sputtering with the common cold. However, if a lockdown does occur while away I expect there will be an opportunity for people away from home to get home, and in a Cali you should be able to do so safely.

3 weeks on the west coast of France from mid August. Can't wait to get away from the hysterical UK media.

Must admit the thought of some sunshine and a proper break is tempting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the little one into the city of San Sabastian! You can go swimming / to the beach in the middle of the city centre. Take the train up the mountain to the small carnival. Its brilliant for kids.

We plan to go 14 August to 1 September but will book late. Eurotunnel prices have fallen in the last week, but at £440 return still far too high. Ferry is currently £230 return for those dates.

If there is to be a second wave, it is most likely to be in the winter when everyone is sputtering with the common cold. However, if a lockdown does occur while away I expect there will be an opportunity for people away from home to get home, and in a Cali you should be able to do so safely.
£414 with bikes on rear and Flexiplus?

88DE6B98-9890-414A-9C2F-2F623154919D.png

I’m also going to decide nearer the time..
Had no intention of going abroad this year but if we have rubbish weather, we may head to SoF the last 10 days of August.

Just read today where 2 thirds of Spanish people don’t want us there this year..They have seen what the English get up to when let out and the fact the UK has one of the highest death rates in the World I can understand their way of thinking. England also has a very high infection rate compared to them..They are frightened that the Brits going over their This summer is just going to spread the virus again..Can you really blame them?

Paid £260 about 10 days ago for tunnel. I expect we will spend about 10 days west coast in 2 different sites and 5 around Spanish border and a day or so in San Sebastián. He will love the train!
Will follow local lockdown updates and head off beforehand if it’s looking like it’s changing.

We also had our Neilson holiday cancelled to Greece (moves to next year) but have instead booked a crossing to France. We’ll be in the alps and then a week in the Ardèche as my 5 and 6 year old boys love playing in the rivers and found the campsites there to be very good. It’s also not quite as far as Spain but generally excellent weather. Sunêlia campsites have been very good for us. And we do still drive mostly overnight, parking in an aire for a few hours sleep and finish the drive in the morning. Kids are quite used to it now. This will be our first proper Cali camping trip as we always had a tent before.