Ideas for summer trip to Switzerland and Annecy, France

larrylamb

larrylamb

Cali owner.
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all, we are looking at an end of July trip down through Belgium, Luxembourg into Switzerland ( Bern, Interlake, Geneva) ending up for a week at Annecy hopefully when the Tour De France is nearby. Any ideas on places to visit en route , campsites, tips etc greatly appreciated as we have never done this before. Is Switzerland prohibitively expensive? Camping near Annecy on a bus route would be good. :thumb

We stopped off at Annecy on our way to Italy in September. First campsite was close to Annecy but was very crowded, showerblock a bit shabby etc.. We then moved further south along the lake and stayed at Camping International, shower blocks spotless, much more room but further along the lake of course.

If you are a keen cyclist then you wouldn't need the bus, there is an old railway line, now cycle path along the side of the lake, in fact all the way to Albertville further south. Camping International, like many campsites along the lake has access to the cycle path.

La Clusaz east of the lake is worth a visit, some great walking around there. And you could do some great cycle routes, e.g. around the lake, or we saw lots of folks out over the pass south of Thones.

And in Annecy, we had a great lunch at Auberge de Lyonnais but there are a lot of other places to choose from.

Enjoy the trip!!

We stayed at La Lac Bleu at the bottom end of Lake Annecy a couple of years ago for a few nights. A large family campsite but good sized pitches, good facilities and lake frontage. We used the cycle path mentioned above but our children were smaller then, so we didn't think they would be able to cycle to Annecy and back which would have been about 30 miles round trip. It turned out there is a passenger boat that runs the length of the lake that we could have used to come back as they accept bikes. The main road to Annecy is between the campsite and the cycle track so good for buses too.

Some good sites in Interlaken, Manor Farm and a family site next door. Can't remember name. Both next to lake easy ride to town. Local tourist office gives you a pass for free travel on bus and ferry to and from town and significant reductions on local attractions such as Funicular Railway. Free admission to excellent town Lido. Cost of living seemed comparable with Central London. Have to get a motorway pass for Switzerland. Buy at border service stops or you can buy on line from UK Swiss centres before you go. http://rail.stc.co.uk/en/products/motorwaysticker

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, as it's our first trip abroad wondering if we are being too adventurous, my wife fancies chilling a bit more on the Ile de Re, any input welcome. :thumb

As already said: Switzerland can be very expensiv however the motorway pass (CHF 40.-) is cheap IMO. For food and daily needs there are some supermarkets like Migros and Coop or Aldi and Lidl. An expensive point could be Diesel/Petrol price.
Campsite prices are around CHF 50.-/high season/1night. This site could be usefull:
http://www.camping.ch/cgi/home/home.pl?lang=en
http://en.camping.info/switzerland/campsites

Hope this helps!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips, as it's our first trip abroad wondering if we are being too adventurous, my wife fancies chilling a bit more on the Ile de Re, any input welcome. :thumb
You can chill on the move better than stuck in one place. 3 days then move on...
Embrace the adventure

Camping Interlude on the Isle De Re. You can book direct or possibly through Eurocamp Independent who can sort ferries etc.
Campsite virtually on the large sandy Beach which has lifeguards. Cycle hire, small supermarket and cafe + takeaway also swimming pool. Easy walk or bike ride to local village. Local delicacy is sea food especially Moules.
Whenever we have been there never used the vehicle, just bikes. Lovely ride across island to St Martine for Coffee and Croissants on the harbour wall. http://en.interlude.fr

I would just cross the Chanel and travel.
There are so many lovely places ,
We like to keep out of cities to park, and there are often cycle routes in.
If you use this site on the go
aircampingcar.com it lists most available sites, free, private and municipal
There are thousands
Or France passion, if you don't want facilities
It makes the holiday more of an adventure, and so much more chilled with no deadlines .
Infact I have only done these trips a couple of times.....but plan many many more

We love this camp site a bit above the lake, more into the mountains, at Les Combes, towards de Col de Tamié. We have been there several times, with different Calis. A Lot quieter than all the tourist hubbub on the lake...:
qTdFVh0GKy8jMCOGvIrJgpZ5kfbAaZUxzMM5-JFgWYrcpSUvwOJcE2G90SCOQegw-KCbqPohc5F0i-qNfMg0LYhVJ9Gnf4SwSzacF4KhBg-JmLuMtVt1BaoNb_gSocWvZ6FKH99qwbhm9ONDHQcsJfTLxfaE-GdvKfSTT-ua0scOUnvzxY9I97JhLn7wPMHR9Jd_HZ7mcntyj6yzwhE8MHYudM6K0pWktPO3OvsYPxOzQ7JZyB_vogPG6ItOxHACGg2gtfWi5HPP7-uNtoEc4NKO5SYS9MqPgeiJVl4x28hq8og9j7Z73QmGYjKyiN3__3uXzjgztMy90REsHFzZRyt9xB2k57-LYh75YyrsN4s-MW77Rj9WrdWOpHCc0Hhev-LG6d_3bg41cTaBwVq6FO7lCekUiP2JO-RPgNssQp_KPiW-dWnvM4hg2f1DMDIWvj2WodCC4usyG1s40OgJfpF_P9p4Vh_bSNTQC9akhzsjSSGNvzpO1pZIaxqHtcUVGbQxDCuRgMVQnlX6ZfIGg70-M-wbuSqWskdFl1lZI_j5CpNP9a-69Pp3XydlE1NPxV56=w1600-h1200-no

1gSMekIGP74cfb9lUwtRtv9byr4isAF0iCpE2PLc-AxDoGCW8NjhqGbmw7eg6AiWiwwKAMU33abhN-ip_kTy5JIrYNrAuoR6rJJM0CuJIKd1v2TaSzKFjwrn7VC_wOoy1sP5suqYHfMt1ao1-JWsgNI2mecX3K2gAcNHPGX12r7KzlJixha56ewa5TIc93Fy5udZ3E4jOiNT7l7ZtVBttyoxB4se4aRogaUeanD_EJMlCSx8TVcXrnaTUf9mb2bQ_kiib4aACMAcp-vFT3HXHLmLFvmnI_FTWBvxznToj6nPk5pBPeBqaay9Crt13-tsDLuajypWHSOmwhZ2kEGtmgyeisjRWx1NGspV2kyXs6cRi8WcdjGjeErkl0IHvKog_ZlvjLiU5ThDaNR_9yBKPyQKIJG0rfIpOiX1ZB5TbtfWM8Rt6xf21MccFh0_bLN00G8Y5p4owO_ZmzgVfwbNYQWKSOJFMqE2q1uGk5G4oV4LxJXbVTWwBohMY5MlNudklWOlKwV39YOhvF2jbrLr8TzOW-Nk6_tmefdyWOMga9Vhj3cfh1mpk_BVZDe2fMf7RHfl=w1600-h1071-no

3CWfDnu12Tj6gOH1H1q-Qswarn3qoAilDnlKUg3Zdh-2lDYiYoIocR8IgLpD25Th8X8V2tRKqW01gi-eCTIzopwBJ9ObHawhiM3KYycpIDPp-pewCxxO5fbHK0Di_HnPn1ogM1Pz_Hfn5g6WNIGTrCFkpuW65DF_DreXcARXBHeBskbewC-z1-6Ign-bqdVYX40dEHu9QKdTFGKYE1_TzdANEgeCW2j8M7d0MWZ4RfAgUxnDjXXG-kfWQpIetYELddFGj_5GLFFeHpCW53UZfsbmZlWzLd1nFM_HPmLbq8C1bzJ-7t8coBgjtTfqhqkWH2NWcYuKvIyl1RezrLcJh_ERWi6KorIY6ia6A0nNd-a3JuW6Gv2E92eTtxusWk6LN4fXbON5-fzmBrTwF58OTTS0rW61lKx0LYb-yvxsMzP2cdYuXmUdyW_x-AEjQ0ehZ5zSeiZ91n09PI7i00mDlm8dH8PrXjEn5clvnP1dXNFjWUzf3ClGcVPJ2lWIgtlbIP0hPOGwn_8bzR69Cxchs6jNovuepje0BP7fqcR8-9QsJGygI5w8fFT45OHeg6EKWUeB=w1600-h1066-no

Or along the Brienzer See. Good to take the old steam train up to the Rothorn:
J82huH4BPbTTcXp-ltTfs7AbHhIe2MitF4T6Z2CaxAbFIMCF6un4t0juf39oFp7G9GmhXDjTD6WV1PlrtsPwfrrELYhaQJCMXqwBne1M1Fd0sefYG2l0DbrjPE5kmiG15a6GiHTWQ0TjFeHOWmeKbr8y8IrkoCZNtelqglYIDCZgwsTSaZkdlKBMSanMD-EGl-ca6c-Br5W0v44zwynpSqNH-KFFw-31T9_zRsgPMkSHvJKxs-5BStNmyJui8VFNpqGbKs4f_Hy4D51FS5q1evI1ZReSYvnVdOv_VnmV1vDqatH78ovMo5OvSgFS5ozi71VeHJ0WcvYUNkglB_DdrvWvyARaeerc7QO4nzGV2xBQaEXjnhT6iMneWgVPHt--SDrVotBZJXNnI4Z6CEmKYt7qV35TcqTm4_N-39du2eyS_ScseWSOcDBCY3nYjDbujuzZ2LSHPDUAuR0Tct4siGc_izy_KeSYgLGB1jJAZTKryJfahvhHbXd2uZkDdMu08RXWH8eFq05Lc-IGWQOAbT_o9VherKxlXrv_iNyS2QHQ1LctqEjBER1XxTlpBS8t6Dz_=w1600-h1071-no

3pxYZdj7awXYuHfkHbQEVng2XNGqN2GsTcL7sgQZQ4albHwfdTzNtctKSupk8ustkb6jpDDRNEr0W7Uu9U_kJkgXc8nC3bLq64p_j79JIyzNje7-xhpuDU_xUP0hmUFEDkQ9YpsjkBMitEa33Y0N-6Q2ANIHRIG9zOwq42FecTZfnXaQHBfPkqdevsmyigCCTO_DF2E4bkBe-QMfW5MXTnaik7GOhlNblN-LlILJrcxyW_AJyNlK8VLd05az3yFu6NI9POhQmJEJA6MhMatVuQ4LGwKEN2UsCxVJ4szu7s_NoRYWxokd_GyejXp5bv-Of4_wcyW1u_M_HIHWp1QZg61i-xxNAyE6jPPA8FKK7kGzsSP18EgpO66ubTSK7EhoFNzbekkV1xq6RnKwJVKHzkaCZcBJP_Y_pTpEjhiwKnO2Q1ZCdnntxCH2BCM8T2ZK-lWO-6y-2lL9yH9NKmdLzsyQAxt2BL4vFZAci_4WEwDBUxGTrEfISa2x7bn26xS4FZJuFYhz4pPf83XvfF37JL-vFycZAKh7ynLzFzppMyD7_oqDEtzI8W6M1m9Ti0rlcaLHsQ=w1940-h1298-no

yA1IzSjbtao4rruvebVqhdDrZpKPA1t3AYgZKIHLiCxD_7X5ydKSfKm6TS6vp4i73sUa_CV-ISoR4HKoQejh_MOyREGpaYuKBhuDbWnLgJSIepTPOzkFEzn01Z6DRh9JyGrnx51smh6HEB8bQ9rIwhMnB47xp4nqZzuhPR49nX0kFpAHh3fQCp6xjbdLAuPVSuxG-s8UGO0On3NE_w5Z4UoV8_tcPr2aLZ2zaf_YSllJhcLXHvIIZ-DLwvk8z175L8N8fjcTo8chSU8VaIHKPmJTET0w8o7KcaFXfJmCYIwUSUUlB6ka6Ygmuab4R6pD1pj-c_l7Hs-TVQmxPsZVI6Zw1K4RZ9hNypUARt8g8WeJ9TcbumvrkFzp8KablHVp9uXIOuT7wXqiprkRYiZPWmFJpDjtIwu4aLOJ4yw3YtKX7lKS8-Bz6DTLyHr5ZwdqOKmrv2g4V5ZO8GH8hV6erdBfUmTAB-oaVUmaWy_RE9NIxsv_mbpUgotGVxQdzLQ6h3KmHcV8ER4_JQ-03uJfGFoTj0EmniXyImE4qXn5XSGsJI705uHL1h700QJ06x_l_U6x_Q=w1940-h1298-no

And then there is this beautiful place, Camping Hostetten in Ennetmoos, above the Vierwaldstätter See:
SJMqsEFiKkGHFCxrRpCRtxZOMYte8KYaeDP-fQ0KAJiNRe2cVqYbsnNk1ufidQ1GoqVHmD-Zd9MVSWUXQjrQml919nM4jHAQPD2V0NT27MZiPWNHzcU5ZarZa6-zN0bcA-K-Kp0Ew5bVeDwq844_5maN1NIIkthCnUB19yli8vfc0rvBIcfhdFQOgnwIAS88EBKmqwKd4exeB2z4GovSNFrvfmY4fvDwweJtAPKRHU-8U136_GFlsTegm0VfvndGf2qhWkxk939Jy3LYO_AL4BnKBDfujxIo9ai8jGosFpDznAK_Rqf01PkXSsh_YQWj6Kgt0O4VaeBhd5Q9dBQ4Ijpghxq1LJkwhGAbo2KIqo_2LBRcEGYFIaucEU-_HguXeVBMUQfEAzwKR2wtjlX69LvAJTRAh1FcvFYGy__LeshD07UL_9uHiXrY3RnmOUbFeYTluDz6hUWF7TudiMdbn1XJJnR0o72pSHcQPD6bSpMLn_xZw-7prSTZxb-14_STbWb7xokpp9SW_g6Xe-RF0LNeO8F7F6x71xh0Jf7VLsa5DqqfjGE0lY3BrV7vD7x8UtCF=w1600-h1071-no

If it is your first trip, and you want your hand held a little, I certainly did on my first trip with a 25ft Caravan and family, then I would suggest looking at Eurocamp Independent - WAIT FOR THE HOWLS OF PROTEST from some members. They can organise the ferry, and pitches on a vast number of sites all over Europe. All you have to do is drive from site to site. You get the maps and instructions and helpful backup. Then once you have a taste for Europe then you can start booking your own ferries and travel where you want booking or not booking as you wish staying on sites or wild camping as you gain confidence.

http://www.eurocampindependent.co.uk

HOWL HOWL
Of course, everyone to their own, that is fine.
But a fixed itinery like that , for me, takes away the freedom that is the beauty of the van.
You can stop somewhere, like it, and stay.....and stay,
Then when you have has enough, be it one day, or 5, move on.
On our return from Les deux Alps 2 days ago, I had driven for 4 hours, enjoying the van and the countryside.
Then felt tired, it was beginning to be a chore, so we looked on the internet
Found a site by a river on the Loire
Free,beautiful river views , stunning old town and cathedral, and their was a quaint local Christmas market going on.
Our only problem last summer was that each place we stopped at we wanted to stay longer, but had an overall time limit

Just have a look on the aircampingcar site, and see how many places there are.

And carry the details of a few sites you learned about here......I must aim for that one just posted by bvddobb........but I won't worry if I don't get there

If it is your first trip, and you want your hand held a little, I certainly did on my first trip with a 25ft Caravan and family, then I would suggest looking at Eurocamp Independent - WAIT FOR THE HOWLS OF PROTEST from some members. They can organise the ferry, and pitches on a vast number of sites all over Europe. All you have to do is drive from site to site. You get the maps and instructions and helpful backup. Then once you have a taste for Europe then you can start booking your own ferries and travel where you want booking or not booking as you wish staying on sites or wild camping as you gain confidence.

I PROTEST

HOWL HOWL
Of course, everyone to their own, that is fine.
But a fixed itinery like that , for me, takes away the freedom that is the beauty of the van.
You can stop somewhere, like it, and stay.....and stay,
Then when you have has enough, be it one day, or 5, move on.
On our return from Les deux Alps 2 days ago, I had driven for 4 hours, enjoying the van and the countryside.
Then felt tired, it was beginning to be a chore, so we looked on the internet
Found a site by a river on the Loire
Free,beautiful river views , stunning old town and cathedral, and their was a quaint local Christmas market going on.
Our only problem last summer was that each place we stopped at we wanted to stay longer, but had an overall time limit

Just have a look on the aircampingcar site, and see how many places there are.

And carry the details of a few sites you learned about here......I must aim for that one just posted by bvddobb........but I won't worry if I don't get there
And is that your first trip? Not everyone is so confident at first. Strange country, different driving regulations, driving on the "wrong" side, no familiarity with the language etc: need I go on.

Many people nowadays are just not familiar with the concept of driving through a foreign country as they just hop on a plane to a distant resort, stay there with organised trips and fly back. A different concept of foreign travel.

This year I drove to Nordkapp, 5000+ miles. The only thing I booked was Euroshuttle to Calais. But my first trip abroad was with Eurocamp Independent with 5 kids and one being 2 moths old. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, especially me having a load of the organisation taken off my hands. Now I'm an old hand at it. I still use Eurocamp Independent if they have a site near where I wish to go. Next year to Florence for a wedding. Away for 4 weeks about 24 nights in the Cali, 4 in a hotel and the rest include 2 Eurocamp sites for a few nights each, some Municipal sites and a self booked beach site on the Italian Riviera in August. Each to his own, but it would be better to offer advice rather than knock others who do things differently.
Just my own personal opinion, so please do not take offence.:thumb

No offence Welshgas, I wasn't meaning to knock, I was just adding a diffèrent option, then Larrylamb and his partner can choose which they are most comfortable with .
My first trip was in the summer in Martins rental van, as a taster, doing the same sort of thing. I was totally hooked.
So I have a lot more trips to do to get the sort of experience you have, and I value your opinions and knowledge....I loved your DSG lag explanation.

Thinking about it, as a child in the 60s my parents had a T1, and they used to take us around Europe for the school holidays, as dad was a teacher.
That was quite a different experience . There were 6 of us in all, and that van was a lot smaller.

That sounds great! I didn't know there is something like that. I guess it is possible to book only the ferry or some specific places and the rest drive and find on your own?

That sounds great! I didn't know there is something like that. I guess it is possible to book only the ferry or some specific places and the rest drive and find on your own?
Correct. That is what I'm doing in August.

Thanks guys, great info and pics. It will be high season, kids summer hols when the three of us go so wild camping is out. I do like to have things booked when it is our main holiday, high season, so I can research areas to visit etc. Unfortunately we don't cycle, (maybe hire some the odd time) and would like some days out exploring in the Cali alternated with days we leave the van on pitch. Looking at lots of sites suggested here, so many beautiful places, so few days off! Gotta make them count. :thumb
I have lived and worked in Europe so not bothered about the driving but don't want too many hours on the road per day.

Look up some previous posts by me about booking in France/Spain etc. we go peak holiday season as well and I am a woman on my own with a child (sorry a teenager now) and a dog.
Enjoy!

I dislike itineraries and knowing I have to get to a certain place at a certain time so we are very loose in our plans.
We holiday in September out of season so we never need to book sites - I guess this could be different during high season.
We look up certain areas we'd like to get to and have a list of sites but make it up on the hoof really, and move on as and when we feel like it.
Our working lives are so hectic we like the more laid back vibe on our hols!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

As already said: Switzerland can be very expensiv however the motorway pass (CHF 40.-) is cheap IMO. For food and daily needs there are some supermarkets like Migros and Coop or Aldi and Lidl. An expensive point could be Diesel/Petrol price.
Campsite prices are around CHF 50.-/high season/1night. This site could be usefull:

Hope this helps!

I live in Zurich and can confirm that the petrol and Diesel prices are cheqp

Hope this helps!

I live in Zurich and can confirm that fuel prices in Switzerland are at least 10% cheaper than the UK if not more. Traveling around on public transport is 50% cheaper than UK. Supermarket food is slightly more expensive but wine is much cheaper in swiss. As a tourist, you will find that eating out at restaurants are much more expensive, maybe double the price of the UK. Stick to buying in the supermarkets and it's fine and always try to fill up the tank in Luxembourg.

I live in Zurich and can confirm that the petrol and Diesel prices are cheqp

I live in Zurich and can confirm that fuel prices in Switzerland are at least 10% cheaper than the UK if not more. Traveling around on public transport is 50% cheaper than UK. Supermarket food is slightly more expensive but wine is much cheaper in swiss. As a tourist, you will find that eating out at restaurants are much more expensive, maybe double the price of the UK. Stick to buying in the supermarkets and it's fine and always try to fill up the tank in Luxembourg.
Luxembourg is around 30% cheaper for fuel than The UK.

Spambot and/or weird ...