Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ikea Sunnersta rail

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, does anyone know if there is room for 2 Sunnersta rails side by side in the T6 (T6 1). Big Ted is providing the brackets....

I have big teds rail.
Yes, you will probably fit two in, just.

:bananadance2

I've got a T5.1 and not aware of any significant difference in kitchen dimensions. We have 2 Sunnersta rails fitted using Aluminium brackets from Germany (if only we'd discovered Big Ted).
Ours fit fine with some room to spare.IMG_2258.jpeg

Last edited:
This has been a very spiky and cherlish thread to read through. Thank goodness it's now getting to some replies that actually meet the objectives of this brilliant site - helping each other out with experience and knowledge.
The simple answer is yes, as stated above.

One thing you may need to check out and I'm just about to write to bigted about it; the length of the top part that goes under the aluminium on the front part of my Ocean needs to be longer. When I was helping Ian with his first prototype we found that the longer ones of the first design were good for the front half of my van but not the back (but in his van there was no difference). Having just received one set of new brackets they're fantastic for the back half (over the fridge) but at the front (over the sink) they're too short and I can remove the rail without the need to turn anything sideways. In my ocean it's the same on the door side. I have 2 coat hooks that stay in great at the back (over the bench seat) but any further forward and they just flick out. It may be worth checking the height of the gap along the rail to see if there's a difference and letting Bigted know..

This has been a very spiky and cherlish thread to read through. Thank goodness it's now getting to some replies that actually meet the objectives of this brilliant site - helping each other out with experience and knowledge.
The simple answer is yes, as stated above.

One thing you may need to check out and I'm just about to write to bigted about it; the length of the top part that goes under the aluminium on the front part of my Ocean needs to be longer. When I was helping Ian with his first prototype we found that the longer ones of the first design were good for the front half of my van but not the back (but in his van there was no difference). Having just received one set of new brackets they're fantastic for the back half (over the fridge) but at the front (over the sink) they're too short and I can remove the rail without the need to turn anything sideways. In my ocean it's the same on the door side. I have 2 coat hooks that stay in great at the back (over the bench seat) but any further forward and they just flick out. It may be worth checking the height of the gap along the rail to see if there's a difference and letting Bigted know..
Hear hear, simpe question, detailed answer. Thanks very much, I will check and speak to Bigted when it arrives !!

May I partially hijsck the thread, since it seems the questions of the OP have been answered...

I get such rack would be useful as space to store things is limited. Over the fridge ok, but over the sink, since we often have to wash the face and brush teeth over it, i keep banging my head against the top trim, where the lights are. With a rack it would be way worse as it will be protruding even further out?

I used to be 1.73, and never hit my head on my rail. The buckets are removed in a second if needed. Really useful, like e.g. to store your toothpaste and brush there, and use the bucket to clean your mouth.

By looking at the pic above, it looks like the sink lid won't clear the bucket when you open it, unless you remove it everytime. As an alternative a bucket fixed with suction cup to the underside of the open lid may be a valid alternative
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tisken-toothbrush-holder-with-suction-cup-white-80381294/
Definitely don’t do that based on this user’s experience - it broke their glass cooker top!

And they used exactly what you’re suggesting - Ikea Tisken.

BEWARE!

Definitely don’t do that based on this user’s experience:

Wow, must have even a fault surely.....

I must say I use them for some year as well without any problems:
I have it hard to imagine this kind of under-pressure can make break a securit glass, if there would not be already a fault in it,...

Last edited:
May I partially hijsck the thread, since it seems the questions of the OP have been answered...

I get such rack would be useful as space to store things is limited. Over the fridge ok, but over the sink, since we often have to wash the face and brush teeth over it, i keep banging my head against the top trim, where the lights are. With a rack it would be way worse as it will be protruding even further out?
Ouch!!

I take it you’ve shrunk a little, Derek. I live with the incredible shrinking husband But he’s from Liverpool and they’re genetically engineered to turn in to “Diddy Men“ at a certain age (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diddy_Men). We joke that he’s so short he can walk into the Cali with ease through the side door with the blind fully down! :D

I must say I use them for some year as well without any problems:
I have it hard to imagine this kind of under-pressure can make break a securit glass, if there would not be already a fault in it,...
I tried the Auberjine style Tisken solution in the sink but it didn’t suit what I wanted. So I used the Ikea peg boards and various bits and bobs to come up with this.
E2C35B08-CAED-4C9D-B37F-E250AB5564E0.jpeg

The dog has his bedding and sleeps on the passenger seat and also has that space for his own chill out zone. Since then we’ve got the dark grey second skin covers, but still the boards protect the seat back from getting splashed from the sink or food prep accidents.

We now also have a Sunnersta rail with brackets from BigTed and in the back of the wardrobe you can fit in 4 Sunnersta pots and put a Tiska toothbrush pot on the mirror that we don’t really use, the mirror that is. Shower rings are good for hanging all sorts of things in the van & awning. Here there’s a couple on the wardrobe rail.C5554C00-92D8-414A-B284-854FF343C7F3.jpeg

Hi, does anyone know if there is room for 2 Sunnersta rails side by side in the T6 (T6 1). Big Ted is providing the brackets....
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and I like the idea of the side by side rails, please excuse my ignorance but I’ve never heard of big ted, please can you enlighten me, cheers Sharon

Back