Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ile De Ré or Ile D'Oleron? Recommended campsites??

LemonDrop

LemonDrop

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
As the title says really - initially we were thinking of heading to Ile De Ré as part of next years french road trip (we will be in the area the last week in August due to school age kids) but have been looking at Ile D'Oleron which sounds like a good alternative. Apparently it's a bit quieter/less expensive.

But are the roads on Ile D'Oleron a bit dicey if you're on a bike (with kids)? I've read this. We definitely want to do lots of cycling.

Any hints/tips/recommended campsites or those to avoid would be really helpful. We would ideally like beach-side camping on a sandy beach or to have a beach a short cycle away....

:thanks

Last edited:
As the title says really - initially we were thinking of heading to Ile De Ré as part of next years french road trip (we will be in the area the last week in August due to school age kids) but have been looking at Ile D'Oleron which sounds like good alternative. Apparently it's a bit quieter/less expensive.

But are the roads on Ile D'Oleron a bit dicey if you're on a bike (with kids)? I've read this. We definitely want to do lots of cycling.

Any hints/tips/recommended campsites or those to avoid would be really helpful. We would ideally like beachside camping on a sandy beach or short cycle away....

We stayed at lespinsdoleron.com in September 2017. It has a great naturally filtered swimming pool.

IMG_0062.JPG

The boys were just 2 and 3 at the time of our visit, and only the eldest was cycling independently. But we managed some good traffic free cycling. Indeed, there is a traffic free cycle path running around the back of the campsite, joining the road here:

And if you click along on Google Maps you will see it is separated from the road by railings. It was safe enough for me to allow my three year old to cycle independently.

The beach is walking distance through pine forest, but the site is not beachside.

Did both islands a few years ago, ill de re was far better for cycling, but both island are brilliant

As the title says really - initially we were thinking of heading to Ile De Ré as part of next years french road trip (we will be in the area the last week in August due to school age kids) but have been looking at Ile D'Oleron which sounds like a good alternative. Apparently it's a bit quieter/less expensive.

Any hints/tips/recommended campsites or those to avoid would be really helpful. We would ideally like beach-side camping on a sandy beach or to have a beach a short cycle away....

Stayed here 4 yrs running with the kids.
Everything you could ask for, lovely beach + lifeguards and can cycle everywhere.

Beaches on the South of the island are sandy and on the North tend to be more rocky.

We’ve stayed here fours years running and we love it. The site is family run and is vary safe, the pool is heated to 31 degrees plus there is loads put on for the kids to do and it’s a great base to explore the western end of the island, at night it is silent you will only hear the cicadas. Add to that Ars en Re has one of the best bakeries I’ve ever been too and you can’t go wrong. The only downside is that they only have 30 camping pitches and they get booked up fast with a lot of repeat visitors booking in early November for the following August.

We stayed on the Ile de Re for a week last year. Cycled everywhere - brilliant. Restaurants around the coastal towns are rather expensive but you should treat yourselves - its worth it. St Martin is the most expensive but we will go back - we really enjoyed the week and the weather was very, very kind to us at 26 degrees and dry in June. Stayed at the Campsite to the East of St Martin - behind the main town at "Camping Saint Martin de Ré" . https://www.camping-saintmartindere.com/

Have you thought of Noirmoutier as an alternative?

If heading that way, I would definitely recommend a trip to Puy du Fou. Fantastic place.

Great stear!

Thanks for all the useful info.

We've plumped for Ile de Ré this time and have booked to stay here - some of the campsites mentioned above will only let you stay a full week and the Sunelia looks ace - but we're staying in the Sunelia in the Pyrenees beforehand and though we'd go for something a bit low key for some R&R...before we head to Disneyland Paris for the last hurrah of the summer holidays :eek:

We'll probably go to Ile D'Oleron another year if we like Ile De Ré so will keep the campsites mentioned in mind!

Thanks all ;)

Thanks for all the useful info.

We've plumped for Ile de Ré this time and have booked to stay here - some of the campsites mentioned above will only let you stay a full week and the Sunelia looks ace - but we're staying in the Sunelia in the Pyrenees beforehand and though we'd go for something a bit low key for some R&R...before we head to Disneyland Paris for the last hurrah of the summer holidays :eek:

We'll probably go to Ile D'Oleron another year if we like Ile De Ré so will keep the campsites mentioned in mind!

Thanks all ;)
My parents stay there because they accept the ACSI card (off peak only). The site has a good restaurant but if you turn left towards the sea and head down to the jetty there is a brilliant restaurant (we call it the beach bar not sure of its actual name) where they sell very good food. Enjoy your stay.
One other thing, consider Europa Park instead of Euro Disney. It is ace.

turn left towards the sea and head down to the jetty there is a brilliant restaurant (we call it the beach bar not sure of its actual name) where they sell very good food. Enjoy your stay.
Great tip, thank you

Ile de Re every time for us - went 3 years in a row

Took the kids on the P’tit Train on the ile de Oleron and they loved it.
Also please don’t drive past Puy du Fou! Great family day out. We all loved it and personally think its better than Disneyland Paris!

Easy to stay one night in the campervan carpark for €9 aswell.

Took the kids on the P’tit Train on the ile de Oleron and they loved it.
Also please don’t drive past Puy du Fou! Great family day out. We all loved it and personally think its better than Disneyland Paris!

Easy to stay one night in the campervan carpark for €9 aswell.
Thanks for the top tip @2haw - friends of ours went a few years ago and and said how amazing it was too.

We’ll have to save it for another year though as next year we going to the Pyrénées then up the lower part of the Atlantic coast, il de Ré and on to Disneyland Paris, a long promised (and once only!) trip.

Have you thought of Noirmoutier as an alternative?
I would echo Noirmoutier as we had a fantastic week at Huttopia sit at Noirmoutier en Ile - direct access to fantastic beaches and cycle routes all over the island.

I would echo Noirmoutier as we had a fantastic week at Huttopia sit at Noirmoutier en Ile - direct access to fantastic beaches and cycle routes all over the island.
Thanks @Tony Crawford and & @Jabberwocky Noirmoutier is definitely on the list, looks lovely, but will have to wait as not going that far north next year.

Following! We're in the early stages of planning our 2.5 week trip to France in June and although we won't have any kids with us, we do want to be near a pool and within walking distance of local restaurants/bars etc.

We have been to this campsite on Ile de Re' 5 times. https://www.campdusoleil.com/campsite-re-island-ars-en-re
It is a short walk to a small beach and to Ars (Always tickles me) which has a market, restaurants and a nice little port. The site has a pool and a small restaurant/bar. (serves warm croissant in the morning)
It's a nice cycle to the lighthouse (Phare du Baleine) and the 'Conche' beach which is fabulous. San Martin is a short drive away and there are other towns a short cycle away (St Clement(with a great little market for fresh olives etc), Les Portes and La Couarde (with a bigger but slightly more tacky Market)
If you like cycling this is a great location, but beware of the wind. There is usually a predominant westerly which picks up in the evening in the summer which makes La Couarde a proper schlep on the way back cycling.
The pitches are typical french style segregated by tall bamboo and the facilities are always clean and functional.
There is also a supermarket which is a short cycle away.
This picture which is on their website is actually our pitch pre VW with our Outwell tent and Gazebo setup.
It's pretty much a park the Van and cycle everywhere location.
Needless to say I kind of like it there!

We visited ile d’oleron last year. In comparison to ile de re (where we also visited a few years ago), it took a lot longer to get there, but there was more to do. Definitely not good for cycling, yes there are cycle paths but my God we saw some dangerous driving! We stayed at camping Le Suroit, which I wouldn’t recommend - the facilities were disgusting.

We have been to this campsite on Ile de Re' 5 times. https://www.campdusoleil.com/campsite-re-island-ars-en-re
It is a short walk to a small beach and to Ars (Always tickles me) which has a market, restaurants and a nice little port. The site has a pool and a small restaurant/bar. (serves warm croissant in the morning)
It's a nice cycle to the lighthouse (Phare du Baleine) and the 'Conche' beach which is fabulous. San Martin is a short drive away and there are other towns a short cycle away (St Clement(with a great little market for fresh olives etc), Les Portes and La Couarde (with a bigger but slightly more tacky Market)
If you like cycling this is a great location, but beware of the wind. There is usually a predominant westerly which picks up in the evening in the summer which makes La Couarde a proper schlep on the way back cycling.
The pitches are typical french style segregated by tall bamboo and the facilities are always clean and functional.
There is also a supermarket which is a short cycle away.
This picture which is on their website is actually our pitch pre VW with our Outwell tent and Gazebo setup.
It's pretty much a park the Van and cycle everywhere location.
Needless to say I kind of like it there!
This is great to hear as we have booked to stay at this campsite.

Just picked the tread, first went to Ile de Re 15 plus years ago.
One of the best sites on the island is camping La Grainetiere, absolutely brilliant!
Family run , excellent facilities, hotel like wash rooms always immaculate, lovely swimming pool and bar area.
Entertainment most nights , all very French, site shuts down at 10.00 , very children friendly.
Located between la Flotte 1.5 km and Saint Martin 2.4 km, in my opinion the best area for making all parts of the island accessible .