Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ile de Re and surroundings - campsite recommendations please

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hello

Hoping to finally get down to Ile de Re this April. Has anyone been before and any hints/tips? Especially keen to hear any campsite recommendations.

Also, undecided whether or not to drive down in one go or stopover each way (we're taking the tunnel as nearest option). If you've been, did you stop over on way down? Any things not to miss?

Thanks

Hello

Hoping to finally get down to Ile de Re this April. Has anyone been before and any hints/tips? Especially keen to hear any campsite recommendations.

Also, undecided whether or not to drive down in one go or stopover each way (we're taking the tunnel as nearest option). If you've been, did you stop over on way down? Any things not to miss?

Thanks
Camping Interlude. Have driven from Caens in one go. Easy drive. From Tunnel probably a stopover needed.
http://en.interlude.fr

Camping la Venice Vert campsite near Coulon to the west of Niort suited us well. We based ourselves here rather than suffer the crowds at Ile de Re. We went closer to the Ile and came back and stayed longer as we loved the river and the nearby villages and found it a great location to centre ourselves.

52EFFBC1-0960-4A9A-9C8F-767618E97C22.jpeg

Last edited:
Camping la Venice Vert campsite near Coulon to the west of Niort suited us well. We based ourselves here rather than suffer the crowds at Ile de Rey. We went closer to the Ile and came back and stayed longer as we loved the river and the nearby villages and found it a great location to centre ourselves.

View attachment 30122
Don’t think you will find the Ile de Re crowded in April. Now August is a totally different matter.

We’ve been 5 times previously, 3 times camping with the van, all of which were at Interlude mentioned above.
It’s a good site for the beach and kids if you have them,but also fairly central on the island for riding off on bikes. We have previously done one big shop for the heavy things and basics at one of the supermarkets before pitching up, and then managed to just shop daily on the bikes in Le Bois and not move the van all week which is the holy grail for us in summer.
The daily indoor market in Le Bois is excellent for food.
Most of the island is accessible from this area by bike - our kids managed Loix and Ars-en-Re when the youngest was only 5 as the terrain is so flat.
If you take / hire bikes (not much point in going without them in my opinion) then don’t miss the ride through the vineyards from Le Bois to La Couarde across to the boating lake and then down the coast path to St Martin. In summer the oyster farms all have pop up cafes serving seafood, not sure about April though.
The aquarium in La Rochelle is impressive for a rainy day.
The beach on the north coast (La conche) just along from the lighthouse is more remote than most and worth a visit.

Hello

Thanks

We drove home from the Ile de Oleron last August, back to the channel tunnel and it wasn't too bad at all. Used all toll roads, approx 460miles.

Camping Le Cormoran near Ars en Re, really peacefull location and lovely site that is family run.

Thanks everyone- will do some web shopping to investigate.

We love Ile De Re! This site is lovely and quiet (never been in the height of summer tho) yet a short walk to the beach through pine forests and sand dunes. Its just round the corner from camping Interlude mentioned above.

I would agree with the previous posters point about doing a big shop before crossing over to the island. everything does seem more expensive once your there!

Its lovely you can cycle everywhere so theres no need to move the van!

http://www.les-varennes.com/en/campsite-ile-de-re-4-stars-swimming-pool-facilities/

Ile de Re is Paradise but probably best avoided mid July and August unless you like it busy .We’ve taken our boat into St Martin for the last two years for about 6 weeks in total . Bikes essential but lots of bike hire shops if you don’t want to take . Not cheap though . Great seafood and veg market and oyster bars as you cycle along coastal cycle paths . Cycling is flat so easy .There is a really lovely Municiple campsite on the beach at the entrance to Crouesty (Morbihan) which is about half way to Ile de Re from Cherbourg ( last year 14euro night and probably the best site we’ve stayed on ) 31/4 hrs from Cherbourg . Lots of great places to visit going south to La Rochelle . How long have you got ? Ile de Re has a great bus service . We paid 5 euro from St Martin to La Rochelle airport last year and flew back to Southampton very reasonably .

Last edited:
It's been on my wishlist for years so really looking forward to it. Thanks all.

Has anyone been to the Camping Les Baleines site on Ile de Ré and if so what’s it like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone been to the Camping Les Baleines site on Ile de Ré and if so what’s it like?

Yes, a couple of times out of season. Great traffic free cycling in the area, to local villages and around the salt lakes. No sea views but the sound of the sea from over the dunes to lull you to sleep. The site has a variety of different size and aspect pitches and you can choose from whatever’s available. Shops and restaurants down by the lighthouse, all pretty low key. We have stayed up on the higher level overlooking the site. The pitches are very Cali sized up there. Public bus route to St. Martin. For us, as a couple, out of season it ticked lots of boxes. Went for two days, stayed a week. ACSI discount. Like most of the Ile de Re, high season is weekly booking only, but no minimum out of season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a couple of times out of season. Great traffic free cycling in the area, to local villages and around the salt lakes. No sea views but the sound of the sea from over the dunes to lull you to sleep. The site has a variety of different size and aspect pitches and you can choose from whatever’s available. Shops and restaurants down by the lighthouse, all pretty low key. We have stayed up on the higher level overlooking the site. The pitches are very Cali sized up there. Public bus route to St. Martin. For us, as a couple, out of season it ticked lots of boxes. Went for two days, stayed a week. ACSI discount. Like most of the Ile de Re, high season is weekly booking only, but no minimum out of season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s great - thank you!

All, sorry to ask another question. We're planning on going in April and staying for a week (4 adults). Will there be enough to interest us or would we be better doing 3 nights on the island and 3 nights somewhere on the way back. We have multiple drivers so doing the 7 hr drive isn't a problem.

All, sorry to ask another question. We're planning on going in April and staying for a week (4 adults). Will there be enough to interest us or would we be better doing 3 nights on the island and 3 nights somewhere on the way back. We have multiple drivers so doing the 7 hr drive isn't a problem.

Whatever you do, if you have time, visit ‘Ernest Le Glacier’ iced cream shop in La Rochelle port. It is simply ‘off the clock’!!

Anybody been to Ile De Rei in late October? We’re thinking of a week for a walking and cycling break.

I would have thought many places would be closed by then? Can’t wait to get back there.
Thanks @Elmo3 I’ve found an all year campsite but need to check restaurants etc.

62FDA305-2519-42CB-B8D6-BA27CFB5F750.png