Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

importing UK RHD T5 to Netherlands

W

weeve

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Maybe moving (back) to NL and given the exchange rate and the cost of vehicles over there with extra (BPM) tax etc it maybe worth the hassle to take the van even though heavy weight deisels incur large annual road tax bills.

I know the general procedure as have lived there before but never imported anything - by chance is there anyone Dutch on here 'in the know' or anyone from UK that has gone there with a RHD van... Im trying to find out what parts I need to change to buy to pass the registration - headlights for sure .. but speedo? fog lights? anything else? Any help appreciated...
thank you

Maybe moving (back) to NL and given the exchange rate and the cost of vehicles over there with extra (BPM) tax etc it maybe worth the hassle to take the van even though heavy weight deisels incur large annual road tax bills.

I know the general procedure as have lived there before but never imported anything - by chance is there anyone Dutch on here 'in the know' or anyone from UK that has gone there with a RHD van... Im trying to find out what parts I need to change to buy to pass the registration - headlights for sure .. but speedo? fog lights? anything else? Any help appreciated...
thank you

I haven't imported a vehicle into the Netherlands myself, although I know a couple of people that have brought in cars from the UK. Generally, the only thing they had to change were headlights and mirrors. A speedo with km marked as secondary numbers was acceptable for the 'APK' ( MOT ).

The annual road tax for diesels is very high, and based on vehicle weight. However there's an exception where camper vans for personal use only pay 1/4 of the calculated cost. There's a strict definition of 'kampeerauto' which includes a permanent kitchen at least 60cm high, so you'd pay €3168 per year for a Beach, but 'only' €792 per year for an Ocean.

BPM is also payable on imported vehicles, but reduced in proportion to the calculated depreciation. The original BPM calculation is based in the CO2 output of the engine, so my 2015 180bhp 4Motion incurred a €14,629 BPM tax. My understanding is that the depreciation is based on vehicle type rather than an average percentage, so you'd probably still be paying a lot for a California that holds it's value.

Thanks. Helpful. Appreciated. I won't need to pay the bpm as I've owned it in another European country for over 6 months - that's the upside. Tax cost is the kicker - the weight/fuel approach is definitely not 'VW truck' friendly as mine wouldn't classify as a camper. Still - with prices so high and the UK taking a decision to be under a currency attack it may still be worth it.

Rear Fog Light may have to be rewired as the California only has one on the R side for U.K.
The MFD km/hr speed display may be acceptable.

Back