Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Impossible to find full time insurance

S

Scrumpypops

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all

I appreciate not many owners use their vans as a full time home.
I have spent 2 days phoning all the insurance companies coming up in a Google search but so far all of them have said they do not cover full time van life.
I can get insurance no problem if I give an address, where I'm meant to live.
i. e friends,
but if the worse happened and I needed to make a claim I can risk them not paying out.
Has anyone found a solution to this?
Even a 6m conversion which is my long term goal will not be covered, it has to be an A class build

Can anyone help :-(

A friend of mine covers a similar problem by giving a Bricks & mortar address of someone, insuring for business use & stating his business is travel reporter, when asked where van is kept during the day / overnight he put away from home. I believe NFU covered him.

Whether anyone else thinks that is ok is up for discussion, but as long as the address on all documents ie driving licence, insurance and V5 are the same its dificult to see under what circumstance he wouldn't be covered.

Sorry I missed this earlier in the week. I got a quote through safeguard in the end. Though I don’t think I’m classed as full time because I do regular stays at my permanent address (my dads).

All sorted but none of the motorhome insurance companies I tried are remotely interested to insurance full timers unless built on an A class chassis.
Sterling insurance brokers used, insurance provided by ERS they seem to cover all unusual vehicles or situations.
Stressful few days with van on hold but others interested.
My limited knowledge is don't think the insurance is a dead certainty. I had to fight to allow me to park anywhere overnight. Insurance company initially wanted me in a camp site ever night but the same one!
The guy dealing with me said it's so rare for someone to do full time, where most use a friends address. However he pointed out if your policy states where the van should be overnight, and your not. There's a good chance they won't pay out. I know a few on you tube doing full time but using a friend's as an address but obviously every update they do, shows them full timing. Bit of a mine field but hopefully helps future full timers

Back