Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Improved cupboard utilisation

Yup me too. Hands like sandpaper if I don't take good care of them. Nanette Newman lied about Fairy Liquid!
A bit harsh? She just wasn't told - Bless. Oh the age of innocence.....btw she was 83 just two days ago.

We've got these ones - 6 x small ones (2 each per shelf) and 1 large one which takes dinner plates etc.

http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/cra...tan-style-small-stacking-box-dark-brown-p1550
We like boxes too. We use some fabric ones from IKEA of various sizes and various anti rattle plastic devices. Some from IKEA packaging that they just throw away(!) and some cut down old plastic milk bottles for tall items. Will try and remember in morning and take some photos.
We run a four person set up. Large plates, small plates, soup/cereal bowls, cutlery, mugs, glasses, all the usual cooking utensils, 16cm and 20cm pans and a 22cm frying pan, A pressure and slow cooker (two items). A non collapsible kettle (don't like plastics and heat mixed with drinks/food - not good), chopping boards, toasting device etc. Ugh? Must finish now! Just had a Bandwidth error message from our hosts!! (The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.)!!!!!!! They should pay their bills! Forgive forced off topic comments!

Hi Verity
I like you box solution...i was just using cardboard boxes
..I was just about to buy, but measured first ...the large box is43.4x32.5. It doesn't fit thé T5.1
I think you bought small and medium......
Only mentioning in case someone else doesn't measure
PS neither are big enough to bath in !!
Oh damn! I ordered 6 small and a large after stopping reading this thread on the first page! Looks like I'll need a medium!

Really sorry about that! There were only two sizes available when I bought them so I described them as small and large! Big must be really big!
The large must be for those Great White motorhomes!
View attachment 25293

I found this picture earlier and I really like this.
Ikea kitchen drawers + two right hands + lots of time.....
that is brilliant. It is what VW should have done in the T6 remake.
Do you know the model of units?

Really sorry about that! There were only two sizes available when I bought them so I described them as small and large! Big must be really big!
No worries and thanks for the advice. Have ordered a medium too. I'm sure aill find a use for the large one, either in the back or somewhere else in the garage or something!

The large must be for those Great White motorhomes!

that is brilliant. It is what VW should have done in the T6 remake.
Do you know the model of units?

See below. It is a snapshot from a printscreen I made + the Caliboard.de Forum.

Caliboard.de.JPG

Here are the pictures. I apologise that the cupboards are such a mess. My husband took the pictures. Being completely anal, I would have tidied up a bit before taking the pics!!! Anyway, you get the gist ....

View attachment 22242

View attachment 22243

Hi Verity - thanks for showing us your boxes! That big box on the bottom shelf under the cutlery drawer looks like an excellent use of space! Does it slide in and out reasonably easily? Is it reasonably robust - not to bendy? I appreciate that they're a good price so can't expect too much

View attachment 25293

I found this picture earlier and I really like this.
Ikea kitchen drawers + two right hands + lots of time.....

I was about to do this because it was a relatively cheap solution. Bought the drawers and all, but found out that the setup is unnecessarily heavy. So after a bit more research, I went back to this solution (which I have posted about earlier). Together with our DIY-drawer in the booth, It is absolutely one of the best buys for the car. We are so pleased with it. It is a 10 min hassle-free install.

IMG_4757.JPG

Hi Verity - thanks for showing us your boxes! That big box on the bottom shelf under the cutlery drawer looks like an excellent use of space! Does it slide in and out reasonably easily? Is it reasonably robust - not to bendy? I appreciate that they're a good price so can't expect too much
The bottom one was getting on my nerves a bit as I had to 'lift' it over the lip of the door rail, so I put an old wooden chopping board underneath it and now it slides in and out just fine. It was an easy fix, as I was thinking about putting in a drawer style roller (or asking my husband to, natch) but as husb is always away and never has time for DIY, I came up with this solution. Low tech, but effective! See earlier posts in this thread that the boxes are small and medium, not small and large if you're buying them. They're good. Very stable and not bendy at all. Make sure you get the ones with the straight sides and not the ones which are smaller at the bottom than the top and so have sloping sides (if you see what I mean). Curver do both types and it's easy to order the wrong ones.

I was about to do this because it was a relatively cheap solution. Bought the drawers and all, but found out that the setup is unnecessarily heavy. So after a bit more research, I went back to this solution (which I have posted about earlier). Together with our DIY-drawer in the booth, It is absolutely one of the best buys for the car. We are so pleased with it. It is a 10 min hassle-free install.

View attachment 25370
I dream of having these! Never gonna happen .....!

The bottom one was getting on my nerves a bit as I had to 'lift' it over the lip of the door rail, so I put an old wooden chopping board underneath it and now it slides in and out just fine. It was an easy fix, as I was thinking about putting in a drawer style roller (or asking my husband to, natch) but as husb is always away and never has time for DIY, I came up with this solution. Low tech, but effective! See earlier posts in this thread that the boxes are small and medium, not small and large if you're buying them. They're good. Very stable and not bendy at all. Make sure you get the ones with the straight sides and not the ones which are smaller at the bottom than the top and so have sloping sides (if you see what I mean). Curver do both types and it's easy to order the wrong ones.

That's really useful - thanks Verify!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh blow - just getting excited about that big box then I read as above - it won't fit our t5 ☹️

I did the same Verity, just a bit of wood that was a millimetre or two higher than the lip, so the box didn't have to be lifter, and slid easily.
I also worried that after a few thousands In And ours the box would damage the bottom of the cubpboard

I did the same Verity, just a bit of wood that was a millimetre or two higher than the lip, so the box didn't have to be lifter, and slid easily.
I also worried that after a few thousands In And ours the box would damage the bottom of the cubpboard
It's all about finding what works and refining, and ditching what doesn't in a Cali, isn't it?!

We've had ours 9 months now, and we're still finding ways of making life easier in the confined space together. We commenced van life in the winter, so we got used to doing everything downstairs as it was too cold to sleep upstairs for a lot of the winter months, but over the summer we've lapsed a bit and got lazy about putting things away at night etc. We'll have to retrain ourselves once the temperatures start to drop. I have, however, bought the most unattractive fleece ever made my human hands (leopard skin print - yuk! - hopefully no-one will ever see me in it!), which is good for sleeping up top in the cold - it's long enough to cover my bum and has a hood. I will try to stay upstairs for as long as I can. I really can't be bothered with a Cali topper.

It's all about finding what works and refining, and ditching what doesn't in a Cali, isn't it?!

We've had ours 9 months now, and we're still finding ways of making life easier in the confined space together. We commenced van life in the winter, so we got used to doing everything downstairs as it was too cold to sleep upstairs for a lot of the winter months, but over the summer we've lapsed a bit and got lazy about putting things away at night etc. We'll have to retrain ourselves once the temperatures start to drop. I have, however, bought the most unattractive fleece ever made my human hands (leopard skin print - yuk! - hopefully no-one will ever see me in it!), which is good for sleeping up top in the cold - it's long enough to cover my bum and has a hood. I will try to stay upstairs for as long as I can. I really can't be bothered with a Cali topper.
I like quick and easy like you Verity. But the topper that goes inside, once fitted, can stay in there. So isn't a problem at all, and makes it warmer up there.
I have worked out how To get the bed down in a minute....by putting pillows at the bottom, rolling the quilt, roll the mattress topper, concertina the mattress, bench back up, push back...done...
And making the bed is the same. Quicker than it takes two people to climb upstairs and loads quicker if you have to lug the quilts up etc
And I find it a bit like a tent upstairs. Much lighter and more air downstairs .

I like quick and easy like you Verity. But the topper that goes inside, once fitted, can stay in there. So isn't a problem at all, and makes it warmer up there.
I have worked out how To get the bed down in a minute....by putting pillows at the bottom, rolling the quilt, roll the mattress topper, concertina the mattress, bench back up, push back...done...
And making the bed is the same. Quicker than it takes two people to climb upstairs and loads quicker if you have to lug the quilts up etc
And I find it a bit like a tent upstairs. Much lighter and more air downstairs .
We liked it downstairs last winter - we're both quite small so no problems with the narrow bed, and it doesn't take long to put up/down - we use a double sleeping bag so quick and easy. I do like the 'tent' upstairs in the summer though - I love sleeping under canvas. Just a shame UK weather isn't always conducive!!! We did resort to duck tape on the vents in the spring as there was a gale blowing through up top one night!

Back