Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In-flight refuelling

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Not breakfast, not dinner, but when the heat is on, running, cycling, just getting from A to B.

My first memories was kendal mint cake, more important so I was led to believe than map and compass, followed by tunnocks wafer and askham track toffee on long walks and treks, followed by gels for marathon and ultra running ...

so what keeps you going'?

I remember taking Kendalls Mint Cake on a school trip to Snowdonia 40 years ago. Today I rely on trail mix and jerky.

Soreen Mini Loafs , can be found at £1 for a pack of 5 , about as much energy in them as the expensive Branded Energy Bars and verrrrrry tasty

KMC every time.

Lucozade sport orange drink
and wine gums or any sort of chocolate helps break up a monotonous motorway miles

I remember taking Kendalls Mint Cake on a school trip to Snowdonia 40 years ago. Today I rely on trail mix and jerky.

I first came across the stuff in the lat 50's. It was life and death to go into the mountains without it. I'm surprised they didn't find a chunk in George Mallory's coat when it was found on Everest :shocked

Soreen Mini Loafs , can be found at £1 for a pack of 5 , about as much energy in them as the expensive Branded Energy Bars and verrrrrry tasty

A person after my own heart!! Lovely stuff!

Not breakfast, not dinner, but when the heat is on, running, cycling, just getting from A to B.

My first memories was kendal mint cake, more important so I was led to believe than map and compass, followed by tunnocks wafer and askham track toffee on long walks and treks, followed by gels for marathon and ultra running ...

so what keeps you going'?
My wife.....

This book:
Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes
has some really good snacks if you are serious biker/runner etc.
Otherwise agree with the malt loaf - but not the minis!

Well, as Tunnocks are our sponsors I'm going to bang the drum for chocolate-coated caramel wafers ...but I do agree with malt loaf.

However, Jelly babies are equally good, the staple food for anyone running the London Marathon purely by weight od the hundreds, no, thousands, of kids who line the streets holding out great bucket loads of them for passing runners to grab :D

When I was cycling "seriously" it was bananas, mainly because I couldn't afford anything more elaborate. The rule was subtract 1 from the number of hours that the ride would be, then take that many. Coming back to casual riding in my thirties, a bit of chocolate chip brioche wrapped in foil had a touch of continental flair to it, mostly due to being French, and it would still be edible even if it got a bit squashed. Fortunately, M&S was the best brioche and also the closest supermarket, followed by Sainsbury's some way behind in both measures. Malt loaf's a bit sticky for my liking although it would otherwise be perfect... never tried KMC but I imagine it would produce a big sugar spike, followed by a bigger trough.

Running's quite boring from a food point of view because only my longest runs need any sort of "nutrition", and even then only if there's pace in them. Jogging 24 miles on l'eau claire is fine, but it's still bananas beforehand, but if we're straying close to marathon pace for any length of time then those messy gel things come out. If I've travelled to run then wholemeal bagels with chocolate spread are a good thing to shovel in on the drive home, or Tesco do a sort of chocolate-filled 'crepe', which doesn't squash and can be eaten from the wrapper easily with dirrty hands. (One time I swapped the bagel for a seed-topped roll and cracked a tooth, eventually leading to an emergency extraction and missing the National Road Relays, so be careful...).

My van's due to be delivered on Thursday this week, so it'll be fun to see if the routine of bagels changes to anything more elaborate, or if I just delay cutting and spreading them until a later point in the day.

Malt loaf, but the 5 fruit version it's lighter and tastes better, or banana in the choc chip brioche . Some glucose water mix to drink.
Tried the gels on longer cycle rides but they played havoc with my stomach.
Always loved a vanilla milk shake after the ride.

Werther's Originals. Yes, I know. :embarrased

Dreadful to run on.

I nearly choked on one. The sight of a haggard old dear spluttering to the finish line, her face coloured in various shades of red with the lips going slowly blue was too much for most ....

Going out on a limb here, KMC is disgusting, Fisherman’s Friends are much nicer . And to keep the northern theme going, I swear by Sarah Nelson’s Grasmere gingerbread.

Going out on a limb here, KMC is disgusting, Fisherman’s Friends are much nicer . And to keep the northern theme going, I swear by Sarah Nelson’s Grasmere gingerbread.

At last an ally!!

I think I overdosed on KMC in the 60's.Disgusting, gritty sludge once it's been in the mouth for more than 10 seconds.

FF's are addictive but not much in the way of instant energy. My Squirrels love them. I used to keep a box in my under=loft cupboard. They ate every one :shocked