Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Independent Garage/Mechanic near London/SE

Robin Brooke

Robin Brooke

Extended sabaticaal pursuing a passion to climb
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

Stanley, my 2015 Califirnia SE, is now five years old, a few years out of warranty. He is still beautiful and aging gracefully, but of course needs looking after and the occassional works.

I'm starting to question the 'value' I get from VW Van Centres when it comes to Servicing, and minor fixes to the internals.

I'd love to find an Independent mechanic/garage who knows a little about the California, is trusted, who I could take my business to.

Does anyone have a reccomendation in the London/SE region?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Robin, SW rather than SE of London so not sure if any good for you, but I have recently started using RCM Wormley, south west of Guildford. Www.rcmwormley.co.uk
They are a small garage but seem to be straight, and they have a very nice and helpful mechanic there who previously worked on VW commercial vans and Calis at Lookers Guildford.
They are a fitting centre for Black Circles tyres, and they were very good in highlighting that what I thought might be a failed wheel bearing was just the sound of the tread pattern on the all season tyres I was running, and therefore no spend needed in repairs. Layout rate about 60+vat rather than well over 120 at main dealers.
They investigated an issue on my Audi Allroad today and would only accept some beer money for the work, whereas the Audi dealer had charged 120quid and been totally useless.

Hi Robin, SW rather than SE of London so not sure if any good for you, but I have recently started using RCM Wormley, south west of Guildford. Www.rcmwormley.co.uk
They are a small garage but seem to be straight, and they have a very nice and helpful mechanic there who previously worked on VW commercial vans and Calis at Lookers Guildford.
They are a fitting centre for Black Circles tyres, and they were very good in highlighting that what I thought might be a failed wheel bearing was just the sound of the tread pattern on the all season tyres I was running, and therefore no spend needed in repairs. Layout rate about 60+vat rather than well over 120 at main dealers.
They investigated an issue on my Audi Allroad today and would only accept some beer money for the work, whereas the Audi dealer had charged 120quid and been totally useless.
What tires were those with the wheel bearing like tread noise?

Thanks for taking the time to share, much appreciated I'll have a chat with them.

SE was just SE of England rather than SE of London so location is good

They are Goodyear Cargo Vector 4 Seasons 235/55R17. Seems it is the irregular pattern of the blocks at the edge of the tyre that helps in snow but makes the wheel bearing noise as a side effect.
When I switched to Michelin Cross Climate+ In the same size the noise stopped (although these have a slight increase in sound as they load up in a corner it is nothing like as much)

9D108E68-2293-4D6D-8CE9-DE93E6F10814.jpeg

Back