Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

induction hobs

X

xkirkba

can anyone reccomend a camping induction hob for when hooked up and or to use from leisure batteries?

Hi, I use a Tefal IH201840 Everyday Portable Induction Hob in my house. Been using it for a year with no problems. It's too powerful for battery use, hooked up should be fine, it's max power is 2100w. Argos or John Lewis sell It for £45.

That might work on some UK sites that have 10amp power supply, but many Continental only have 6 or 8 amp supplies. Not enough when you add in the charger requirements as well. Needs to be 1500 watts or less.

From the Amazon site for the above item.

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 18.02.27.jpg
So, if you are using the mains socket in the California i.e.: the charger is also working, then you will need a campsite supply of AT LEAST 10 amps to avoid blowing the campsite circuit.

You will not be popular on many Continental sites that have a maximum 6 or 8amp supply.

I know its nearly a year since the last comment, but could anyone tell me if the T6 Cali's wiring could cope with a 2000w induction hob if the site can supply 16amp?

All the campsites in Sardinia seem to only offer 6a.

I have a single Kenwood unit in my workshop so I might rig up a circuit with a 6a breaker and see what it will do on low power, I suspect the hob will try to use full power in bursts so even turning it down might not help but I also have a clamp meter so I'll give it go this week and report back..

I know its nearly a year since the last comment, but could anyone tell me if the T6 Cali's wiring could cope with a 2000w induction hob if the site can supply 16amp?

I guess it should be OK as the mains socket in a UK Cali is a normal 13amp.
We have a fan heater for winter and very occasionally it's been on the second setting which is 2kw for a while and nothing has tripped.

All the campsites in Sardinia seem to only offer 6a.

I have a single Kenwood unit in my workshop so I might rig up a circuit with a 6a breaker and see what it will do on low power, I suspect the hob will try to use full power in bursts so even turning it down might not help but I also have a clamp meter so I'll give it go this week and report back..
I think most Induction Units cycle their output from Slow to Fast for Low to High Temperature. We, my cooker does.

I suspect the hob will try to use full power in bursts so even turning it down might not help but I also have a clamp meter so I'll give it go this week and report back..
Sadly lots of cheap inductions work always on a full power. Adjusting the heating level just by the time delays for full power turn on. So 2kw bursts even for level 1.
I am sure it is possible to find one capable working below 2-3 amps for slower heating/cooking.

Okay I rigged up the test and it worked fine.
Used a kenwood 1800W hob and large cauldron of waxoil as the load.
The maximum it drew was 6.5A not enough to trip the 6A breaker but on setting 5 (1 below max) it was drawing a constant 5.8A.
IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2660.jpg IMG_2663.jpg

So as long as your charger is off you could get away with it.

Thanks for the research Loz.

In answer to sidepod's question - Why?
cos using the sites electric is cheaper than expensive 907 canisters and I happen to gave a single induction hob sat in a cupboard, also no combustion fumes.​

Will I try it based on this? possibly in current Ducato based MH and if successful in Cali when she arrives.

907s are expensive? Did you calculate how much lets say 1 hour cooking cost?
On some campings we don't take electricity because even using small expensive gas canisters is cheaper.
Had a camping on a last trip with 10 eur for a hookup ;)

I agree. I used 1 907 last year with a lot of use so worked out at about 60p/week about 70c in €, less than a bottle of water.:thumb

Maybe after the findings from Loz's research you could put a smaller fuse into the plug of the induction hob?

So why, afterall do you need electricity?
If cost is your driver then do without.

Your batteries will take care of essentials, fridge, heating and light.
Assuming you adopt best practice and leave the van plugged in at home when not in use, you'll get through a three day weekend on batteries.

Why do you need electric? Please don't say to power your telly!

I don't totally agree with johntowers46 as most of the european sites we have used have been metered, but many of the UK ones we use do include electricity.
Why do you need electric? Please don't say to power your telly!
Definitely not telly
In the past it has been lights, kettle, microwave, and charging phones/cameras etc. and in winter oil filled radiator. It also keeps things going for more than the three day weekend referred to.
If the cost of the site includes electricity you might as well use it.

As it won't be as easy to carry another gas bottle for a cadac we were wondering about an induction hob and griddle pan, ( which we happen to have in the house) hence my original question.
I don't dispute the electricity may actually be more expensive per kwh than gas, but when I say 907s are expensive it is on the basis that £/kg for Gaz is greater than that for Calor

Getting back to the theme of this thread, It is suggesting to me that the wiring in the California would be capable of carrying the power required to operate an induction hob provided nothing else is powered up, but in the majority of places the site does not provide sufficient power, so the induction hob stays at home to cope with times like Christmas when you need a slightly bigger cooker than normal.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Thank's for the heads up :thumb

After my incendiary exploits today I might just try it ...

Why is the drive here for induction hobs? Don't they need special pans?
I see the benefit of a little hob to save on gas when paying £4 for 20p worth of electricity, but won't something like the one below be better, and be usable with the normal pans you carry for the gas hob?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0140XX8E2/?tag=eliteelect-21
This one is 1500w, and perhaps as non-induction, using it on half power might pull 750w?

Why is the drive here for induction hobs? Don't they need special pans?
I see the benefit of a little hob to save on gas when paying £4 for 20p worth of electricity, but won't something like the one below be better, and be usable with the normal pans you carry for the gas hob?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0140XX8E2/?tag=eliteelect-21
This one is 1500w, and perhaps as non-induction, using it on half power might pull 750w?

Totally agree with you. We bought one of these about 20 years ago in France
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Porta...able-Top-Double-Hotplate-Cooker-/112051498161.

As regards the amazon electric hob, i think it will use an energy regulator so it will use the full 1500w but a shorter on/off cycle

John