Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inner bellows' thermal liner; roof closing problems.

gotat5cali

gotat5cali

PhillipR
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All
I'm thinking of buying a thermal liner for upstairs, either Comfortz or Brandrup Isotop. I noticed in one of the weekly "most read" threads that someone suggested that some users have had issues closing the roof with a liner in situ. Is this the case; have many/any liner users had problems closing the roof? If so, how was the problem resolved?

Also, are there any thoughts on the relative merits of Comfortz vs Brandrup liners, apart from price?

I bought a Calicozy just over 14 months ago and have never had a problem closing the roof. I also have the bungee cord which ensures everything is kept away from the scissor hinges. The fabric of the Calicozy ensures that the sliding roof doesn't rattle who let bring driven!
I haven't seen the Brandrup liner in place.

Hi All
I'm thinking of buying a thermal liner for upstairs, either Comfortz or Brandrup Isotop. I noticed in one of the weekly "most read" threads that someone suggested that some users have had issues closing the roof with a liner in situ. Is this the case; have many/any liner users had problems closing the roof? If so, how was the problem resolved?

Also, are there any thoughts on the relative merits of Comfortz vs Brandrup liners, apart from price?
Was it the mattress "liner" they were talking about?

We have the Brandrup Isotop inner liners fitted in both of our Calis. They are very expensive but I have to admit that they are worth the expense. They are a very good fit, keep the upper deck dry, warm and draught free. They also keep the upper deck dark which is something you will need on the new T6 bellows especially on bright summer mornings. They also stop people from seeing you through the almost translucent bellows at night when you have the lights on. These liners are a must have accessory if you intend to use your Cali all year round. Both vehicles have a bellows bungee fitted.
We have a T5 SE with the electro hydraulic roof and a T6 Beach with the manual one. We have never experienced any problems closing the roof on either vehicle.
With both vehicles closing the roof is simple if you follow the instructions in the manual fully. With the SE, I always get my wife to press the button while I walk round the vehicle checking that the bellows folds in properly and that the roof closes securely.
With the Beach I bring it down whilst she checks the bellows by keeping watch outside.
There has never been a problem

Jury is out for me on whether I need/can justify one and that's going to depend on the temperatures we use it in as I would prefer to sleep when possible up top. If it's only the odd occasion then we shall just shift downstairs. The light issue I can overcome with my topper.
I've seen the one Borris has fitted and it looks the business.

Mike

Had an interesting problem last week. Did all the checks and closed the roof. Drove back from Kent.

Went to use the Cali at the weekend and the n/s roof is up a few inches. Hmmm. Not happy but will reset. Watching the roof go up and it juddered and then released .

Seems that the section of the bellows that has the "strap" got caught (right at the top by the "pop top") in the mechanism and now has a "forced" fold. Hasn't penetrated but you can see a light crease line. On paper it shouldn't be possible and no idea how but worth watching out for.

Its due for a service shortly so I will mention this but I'm not holding my breath.

Hi All

Thanks for the helpful replies. Perhaps I did get it wrong and it was the mattress topper someone was referring to. Another question I have is:- does the inner liner meet that one can dispense with a topper, which needs a bit of rain forecasting skill/luck to be able to decide when bro put it on?

Hi All

Thanks for the helpful replies. Perhaps I did get it wrong and it was the mattress topper someone was referring to. Another question I have is:- does the inner liner meet that one can dispense with a topper, which needs a bit of rain forecasting skill/luck to be able to decide when bro put it on?
If you have the Internal Topper for Insulation -Yes.
It will also prevent wet canvas coming into contact with the mattress etc.

However it does not obviate the need to thoroughly dry the canvas bellows before a prolonged period of storage e.g.: for a few weeks otherwise you run the risk of staining and mould on the wet canvas.

The External Topper provides Insulation and keeping the canvas dry.

It is a bit more complicated to lower the Beach roof, you need to follow theinstructions and make sure you pull in all the fabric when the roof is lowered.
This is only an issue in the front so it is quite easy to do and is needed even without. It is more than twice the amount of fabric to have between the locking clips so it requires a bit more force when locking the roof down.

Back