Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installation of mini electric water heater

O

OLIVER DEASY

VIP Member
How can I install a mini electric water heater so I can have sink hot water and for extended shower hose when hooked up to mains supply.?

This the unit I would like to use 20cm x 10.5 (small and cost of unit is less than 50 Euro)
20201116_123410.jpg

I believe these are about 3000W. Not sure that campsite EHU would support that?

I believe these are about 3000W. Not sure that campsite EHU would support that?
Yes, 3000w, so would need a Campsite supply of at least 12amps, more if you are using the vehicle EHU connection as the Charger would be taking some, so at least 14 amps to avoid tripping the Campsite supply.

Here is the full specification of the mini heater. Here in Ireland we don't have too many serviced campsites with hot water facilities.
Mini body, energy saving, and high efficiency. Safe and intelligent, no water flow stops heating 0.1 second automatic power-off for leakage protection. Insulation, anti-corrosion, anti-deformation. Automatic over-temperature protection. Water flow adjustable. Large-screen digital display. Widely used, bathroom, dormitory, kitchen, hair salon, hotel, etc. Instant heating, really thermostat without waiting. Constant temperature maintains the optimal water temperature for you. Specifications: Material: Stainless Steel Shell Colour: Golden Plug: US, EU(Optional) Power: 3800W Current: 10A Voltage: 110V/220V Rated Frequency: 50Hz Rated Pressure: 0.4-0.6Mpa Waterproof Grade: IPX4 Temperature: 30-50℃ Size: Approximate size . 20x10.5cm

Sounds a great idea although there’s several compounding aspects which are likely to make this very tricky in practice.

I had similar thoughts for Glastonbury type events and ended up getting some dry wash for emergencies, which have yet to use. Have a friend who leads a lot of trekking expeditions and swears by wipes.

Summary of the issues:
  • The existing onboard water tank is only 30 litres. A normal shower uses between 10 and 12 litres per minute so that’s 3 minutes or less of water to get wet, wash and rinse off, I’m not sure even with military precision many could pull that off
  • Showers are usually mains pressure fed, gravity fed or power. A campsite water supply might well do the trick
  • An outdoor shower is going to be bracing at the best of times, and public, and muddy
There are gas heaters available which may work better for a portable shower arrangement.

This thread discusses options...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...mpanion-aqua-cube-series-2.34874/#post-423062

Best of luck & hope whichever option works for you. Please report back on your progress.

Back