Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installed Brandrup Iso-Top IV

Philip

Philip

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Been debating for quite some time whether I should get topper or Iso-Top from Brandrup.
Also observed the Thais inner lining but screwing into the roof fabric, as it is shown on the instruction movie, was a no go sign for me.
So Wednesday I bit the bullet and ordered Brandrup's Iso-Top from WV Campershop in Holland.
Much to my suprise the thing was already delivered to my office Thursday noon.
Reading the instructions paper, I suddenly got cold sweat and thought I would never be able to do this on my own, especially since I'm the kind of guy who starts enthousiastically mounting Ikea furniture without looking to much at the manual only to realize half way that something was mounted inversely in the beginning so that I have to start all over again...

However, the good news is it's dead easy to mount it. I've read the manual 4 times (two times in English and two times in French) Thursday night and yesterday evening did step by step what the manual said. The result is great in my opinion. Like many things in life it's debatable whether it is worth the money or if this should be standard equipment, but I just wanted to share the fact that I'm very happy I did.

Last edited:
Is Philip not based in Antwerp.
I Bought mine from Nick at club shop and highly recommend.

Is Philip not based in Antwerp.
I Bought mine from Nick at club shop and highly recommend.

Sorry realised after I posted, I did try to edit it but ended up deleting:embarrased:oops:

Been debating for quite some time whether I should get topper or Iso-Top from Brandrup.
Also observed the Thais inner lining but screwing into the roof fabric, as it is shown on the instruction movie, was a no go sign for me.
So Wednesday I bit the bullet and ordered Brandrup's Iso-Top from WV Campershop in Holland.
Reading the instructions paper, I suddenly got cold sweat and thought I would never be able to do this on my own, especially since I'm the kind of guy who starts enthousiastically mounting Ikea furniture without looking to much at the manual only to realize half way that something was mounted inversely in the beginning so that I have to start all over again...

However, the good news is it's dead easy to mount it. I've read the manual 4 times (two times in English and two times in French) Thursday night) and yesterday evening did step by step what the manual said. The result is great in my opinion. Like many things in life it's debatable whether it is worth the money or if this should be standard equipment, but I just wanted to share the fact that I'm very happy I did.
Hi Philip

I just tried to complete stage one of the installation. All went to plan until I tried to install the 5 larger Velcro tabs into the gap between the roof headlining at the front. The gap is incredibly tight and I gave up for now. I tried using two credit card sized plastic cards to help ease them in but their physically isn’t enough space. It’s so tight. I’ve also tried brute force and jiggling it back and forth. Any advice?

Seán

Hi Philip

I just tried to complete stage one of the installation. All went to plan until I tried to install the 5 larger Velcro tabs into the gap between the roof headlining at the front. The gap is incredibly tight and I gave up for now. I tried using two credit card sized plastic cards to help ease them in but their physically isn’t enough space. It’s so tight. I’ve also tried brute force and jiggling it back and forth. Any advice?

Seán

Hi Sean,

From what I recall, only the smallest part has to be inserted into that gap, the velcro part remaining outside so that Iso-top can be 'scratched' to it. Subtly but firmly pushing with both hands (tab between thumb & index) did it for me. No need to use tools that could possibly harm the fabric. Mine's a T5, don"t know what you have neither if fabric changed on T6. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you are still having problems, please give us a call as we will be more than happy to help

Hi Sean,

From what I recall, only the smallest part has to be inserted into that gap, the velcro part remaining outside so that Iso-top can be 'scratched' to it. Subtly but firmly pushing with both hands (tab between thumb & index) did it for me. No need to use tools that could possible harm the fabric. Mine's a T5, don"t know what you have neither if fabric changed on T6. Hope this helps.
Many thanks. I really appreciate that. I'm either too weak or the gap in the T6 (or my particular vehicle) is tighter! Will give it another go!

I've attached two photographs. These show two of the five velcro tabs in place at the join in the roof lining at the front of the elevating roof. I have tried holding them with two thumbs and two index fingers and pushing them into the gap but the gap just seems far too tight!IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5614.JPG .

I forced the roof cover with a spatula to cook on the grill ....... and it worked !!
just enough to push the velcro a bit, it's so hard it will never fall !!

Yep, cooking material or flat small screw driver to push the tabs gently sounds like a good idea.

it's all crazy about the millimeter ..... I recommend it when you put the canvas to not stick it up too much ..... keep it a little lower on these tabs, so when you raise the roof will not pull too much the velcro down ... almost everyone gets off a bit in the corners ....

I just edged the tabs in by slightly pushing the left side, then right side, the left etc 1mm at a time. We have a T6 too.

:bananadance2Right! I FINALLY managed to fit the Iso-Top IV. Listening to how others have fitted their tabs, I am absolutely convinced that the gap on mine must be tighter. Not sure if they’ve changed the MY18, which mine is, or whether mine’s just tighter. There is no way that they could be pushed in left side, right side, or any other way without some SERIOUS leverage to open the gap up. In the end, I discovered the best method was to use a large, stiff BBQ spatula as recommended by @alter, to prise the front section down as far as possible and THEN force the tabs in left/right fashion.

I found it easiest to only partially open the roof and stand on the front seats and you need to be working at a point above your head where you can generate maximum leverage and power. My upper arms and shoulders had an excellent workout but my thumbs are killing me!

Anyway, now fitting and looking really good. Great fit, lovely quality material and darkens the upper area a fair bit. Time will tell on its effectiveness regarding the temperature.

Thanks for your feedback and advice. I emailed Brandrup asking for their advice and they replied asking for photos, which I’ve sent to them. Will feedback what they advise. I have to say that their instructions are terrible but the process is pretty intuitive. Apart from the front tabs being a nightmare, the rest was very straightforward.

Last edited:
Yep, cooking material or flat small screw driver to push the tabs gently sounds like a good idea.
Not sure I’d advise anyone to use a screwdriver as that would risk damaging the headlining. I think a wide, stiff BBQ spatula / slice is best as it spreads the load.

However, the good news is it's dead easy to mount it. I've read the manual 4 times (two times in English and two times in French) Thursday night and yesterday evening did step by step what the manual said. The result is great in my opinion. Like many things in life it's debatable whether it is worth the money or if this should be standard equipment, but I just wanted to share the fact that I'm very happy I did.
Thanks for that - is it warm in the end - have you had a warmer sleep?

As an update, I emailed Brandrup with some photographs and they replied “I talked to my colleague who installs the ISO-TOP very often for exhibitions. She told me that it would be best to use two plastic spatulas to widen the gap and then try to push the pads inside.”

So there you have it. I wrote back thanking them and suggested that they make some efforts to improve their instructions (for all products) as they are vague, based on my experience and what I’ve read on this and the T6 forums:

“Thanks for the reply. I actually managed to do it using a large BBQ spatula but it was extremely difficult initially but became slightly easier when I perfected the technique.

Please allow me to offer some constructive feedback... Your products are excellent but your instructions are generally very poor. Can I suggest that you do two things that I believe will help your customers, improve your customer satisfaction and increase your sales:

1. Improve your instructions by (a) having them professionally translated as they are very ambiguous, (b) increase the size of photos used and (c) have them written by an expert and proof read by a novice. They need to be much clearer and systematic and include details like using two plastic spatulas to prise the headlining apart, for example.
2. Create an instruction / installation video on YouTube for each product, with English subtitles (or in English).

I’m confident that my opinion above is shared by many other California owners, based on the views aired on two large forums that I’m a member of.”

They thanked me for my suggestions and said they’d review them.

Last edited:
Back