Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installing GPS Antenna - Access to head unit.

T

travelrobrob

VIP Member
Hi folks, I have a t5 and need to replace the GPS antenna as the mirror got clocked and it is way off. I have an aftermarket antenna and want to unplug the OEM (leave the wiring in place) and plug in the aftermarket. Then just place it in the tray under the black lid.

Is it possible to do this without having to pull out the head unit?

Much appreciated.

Because the unit is quite deep you will need to pull it out as all the connectors are at the back. It's an easy job, trim tool and a screw driver, undo slide forward swap connections slide back. If you don't have a trim tool I've seen folk use a credit card.
Had mine out to fit a dab aerial.

WP_20150210_002.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Very helpful!

Make sure your antenna has the right connection. It's called a Fakra one if I remember correctly. I have replaced ours and it sits in the centre on top of the dash next to the screen. Much better reception.

Alternative position got the antenna, You can also install the new antenna behind the glove box, glove box is easy to remove and there Is plenty of room to locate the new antenna in the void in the dash, gives a good reception, the connection wire can be fed to to back of the unit easily by pulling the unit forwards, while you have the glove box out you can add more insulation / sound deadening material.

Back