Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance Fraud Warning

S

Sundowner

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have recently been trying to sell my Cali on this website. I have had a few callers who have sounded plausible enough. One caller was going to come and look at the car but on the day called to say he had decided to decline the visit. Obviously I had to let him know my address. Our landline number was also on the advert as the mobile phone signal is poor where I live.
We recently received a communication from a well known insurance company to our address but it was not in our name. It contained details of the car to be insured, which was not ours and also details of the person whose bank account the premium was to be deducted from on a monthly basis.
We called the insurance company to see why it had been sent to us. It transpired they had used the landline number on the advert and our address, which I had so innocently provided to set up a fraudulent transaction. Needless to say the insurance company have cancelled the policy immediately and action fraud have been informed. We also have been able to give them the vehicle registration it applies to as well as the mobile phone that was used in the conversation. Hopefully they will have their collars felt sooner rather than later.
Moral of the tale is don't put a landline number on your advert, and try as much as possible to determine the authenticity of any prospective purchaser. Is there anybody you can trust nowadays. :(

Further to my note above and this is for the moderators. When using the site to advertise our loved and relatively expensive vehicles can the same process be adopted as is on autotrader, i.e that your phone numbers are protected. I checked on the how to construct your advert but could not see any caution on placing your home phone number, although I stand to be corrected.
Naturally this number has now been removed. Not sure what the damage may be.
Thoughts please.