Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance travel to work in California??

Scaliwag

Scaliwag

I was born under a wandering star.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue with my insurance that has only raised it's head now please.
When I insured my Cali 3 1/3 years ago I specifically enquired about using the camper to travel to work & then onwards on a social /personal evening /weekend as the policy excluded work & business - but only occasionally, not all of the time. It was an important distinction for me as my plans were to take advantage of some work drives /trips (normally done in my company car) and make the most of the trip. So these trips are by far there minority as I always use the company vehicle.
I was told at the time that as long as I wasn't using it directly for work /business, this was ok. I did enquired as to what work /business entailed & I was told that as long as I wasn't carrying tools /equipment & /or carrying customers /work colleagues - none of which I ever do.
The broker is now telling me that this kind of travel is not covered but basing it on the number of trips rather than the purpose. They can't or won't give me a number, other than "a couple of times per year") of trips which seems arbitrary & odd.
Has anyone else had this specific conversation /agreement that might help me please?
Needless to say I've had no claims or accidents (touch wood).
Many thanks...

My advice is that whatever the issue you have with insurance, you should not rely on a conversation you had years ago or recently. You should look carefully at what you stated in the proposal form and what the insurer has stated in their policy and other documents. If a broker has decided to further interpret those documents or bend the rules, then you should ask them to put it in writing to you. There is a difference between travelling to and from a permanent place of work and using a vehicle for work purposes. Your policy should be clear on whether one or both of these are covered.

Thanks vwsween, that is the stage I’m at with them actually. The broker is checking with the insurance company for some definition /clarity on work vs. personal use & frequency.
I’m just a bit puzzled that it isn’t clearer & that the broker doesn’t know, I’m sure they’ve been asked the same thing dozens of times.
Many thanks & I’ll keep you posted.

Good evening,

Insurance for the California can be a pain. It seems to me that there are only two brokers in Ireland that accept camper vans / motorhomes for insurance.

Last November I had to renew my insurance. Things in the insurance policy had changed (which affected the cost). To clarify the circumstances we had to exchange several emails. It seemed to me that they were like politians, not willing (capable) to give a straight and clear answer.

Best of luck.
Eberhard

Hi Eber & thanks for your reply.
You’re right, there’s only 2 & in fact, one of them won’t entertain unless you’ve been previously insured in a camper for some years. It’s very closed & controlled it seems.
What’s your impression of your cover if you were to drive to work (not a regular place or office But client or site) & proceed then for a camping weekend or evening? Do you even know if it’s an issue?

Good evening,

At the moment I am rather happy with my insurance (I don't believe I just wrote this...).

Cost and cover is ok. I have it in writing from the broker that the VW California Ocean is my only vehicle used to go to work, private use e.g. shopping or camping. But this wouldn't be possible without my wife's car. I have to be a named driver.

Years before I bought the California I did a lot of resarch. Then finally we decided to buy the van (demo model from VW Liffey Valley). Then I contacted my car insurance company to get the camper insured. Not possible. I then wrang 16x car insurance companies, none of them insurade campers - panic!

Finally I came across the two brokers in Ireland organizing insurance for campers. One of them seems never have came across a VW California. I had several phone conversation explaining the camper and get a quote. The other broker was better and the process was actually straight forward. But the first year the premium was very high. But at this stage it didn't care.

I don't know why car insurance companies won't insure campers / motorhomes. It seems to me that there is no money to make, because it is to complicated? Who knows.

I believe there is not choice than to co-operate with one or the other. If not - no insurance. And all of this because there is no competition.

Again, good luck.
Eberhard

Admiral Multi car automatically covers business use,
Out of interest what are you paying for the Cali under this scheme? They quoted me over a grand last week with multi-car!

We use Comfort and they did Class 1 business use without any problems, so might be worth a try.

Out of interest what are you paying for the Cali under this scheme? They quoted me over a grand last week with multi-car!
I’ve got 2 cars and the Cali on an Admiral multi car and I’m paying around £400 for all 3:thumb but I’m old.

Good evening,

At the moment I am rather happy with my insurance (I don't believe I just wrote this...).

Cost and cover is ok. I have it in writing from the broker that the VW California Ocean is my only vehicle used to go to work, private use e.g. shopping or camping. But this wouldn't be possible without my wife's car. I have to be a named driver.

Years before I bought the California I did a lot of resarch. Then finally we decided to buy the van (demo model from VW Liffey Valley). Then I contacted my car insurance company to get the camper insured. Not possible. I then wrang 16x car insurance companies, none of them insurade campers - panic!

Finally I came across the two brokers in Ireland organizing insurance for campers. One of them seems never have came across a VW California. I had several phone conversation explaining the camper and get a quote. The other broker was better and the process was actually straight forward. But the first year the premium was very high. But at this stage it didn't care.

I don't know why car insurance companies won't insure campers / motorhomes. It seems to me that there is no money to make, because it is to complicated? Who knows.

I believe there is not choice than to co-operate with one or the other. If not - no insurance. And all of this because there is no competition.

Again, good luck.
Eberhard
Hi again Eber, once again, thanks for your reply & your information.
I was in contact with both the broker & the insurance company & both gave very satisfactory explanations & clarifications on my query.
My broker wrote back to me, in letter format, confirming that I was covered for these trips as long as I wasn't using the camper directly for my work or business. Of course I don't do this.
The insurance company emailed me with their definition /interpretation of work /business as follows;
"Social domestic & pleasure including commuting for work would certainly cover the use for your vehicle. We would class "work" for those who carry goods, or those medical staff that would carry passengers/medical supplies for their occupation."

So, this clears up my questions regarding my mixed work /social trips.
All the best...

We have 2 vehicles with Admiral on the multi vehicle policy.. It was £350 for both That’s the California and Mini Cooper..The Mini was £20 more than the California to insure but worth about a 10th of the Cali value..We also had £50 back because of Covid19..So the 2 cost us £300...