Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance

BagmanJim

BagmanJim

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Who do you guys use for insurance, we're with safeguard and today we've had to make a claim (for the first time) and the people on the phones appear to have a real problem differentiating our van from a 'motor home'.

Who do you guys use for insurance, we're with safeguard and today we've had to make a claim (for the first time) and the people on the phones appear to have a real problem differentiating our van from a 'motor home'.
I used Comfort, had a serious accident but I never thought of ringing Comfort the contact number was Aviva. Rang them and all was dealt with no issues whatsoever. Comfort idenfy as a campervan

I used Comfort, had a serious accident but I never thought of ringing Comfort the contact number was Aviva. Rang them and all was dealt with no issues whatsoever. Comfort idenfy as a campervan
Thanks for that

Thanks for that
Just another point Jim, as part of comfort there is DAS Law legal suppor. I have a personal injury claim ongoing as a result, I have had MRI and CT scans and ongoing physio all sorted out by DAS and they even got my loss of earnings and other small costs and the excess paid early. Unfortunately I should be done by now but obviously Covid interfered and is again. I haven’t spoke to Comfort still. I think you will also find they cover more contents and camping type stuff than what the car only insurers do, plus 3 years worth of new for old, saves on GAP. I know two peeps who lost their Mohos in the floods earlier this year, both were with Comfort, one got a new van delivered in 6 weeks t’other got there’s on order from the factory within days!

I have been quoted £427 (not haggled yet) for the Cali when it comes so I will be back to Comfort through a great experienc.

We use Comfort too. Not had to make a claim yet but seemed very knowledgeable when speaking to them about the quote which was also very competitive.

Just another point Jim, as part of comfort there is DAS Law legal suppor. I have a personal injury claim ongoing as a result, I have had MRI and CT scans and ongoing physio all sorted out by DAS and they even got my loss of earnings and other small costs and the excess paid early. Unfortunately I should be done by now but obviously Covid interfered and is again. I haven’t spoke to Comfort still. I think you will also find they cover more contents and camping type stuff than what the car only insurers do, plus 3 years worth of new for old, saves on GAP. I know two peeps who lost their Mohos in the floods earlier this year, both were with Comfort, one got a new van delivered in 6 weeks t’other got there’s on order from the factory within days!

I have been quoted £427 (not haggled yet) for the Cali when it comes so I will be back to Comfort through a great experienc.
That's all really helpful, thanks again.

That's all really helpful, thanks again.
Obviously not chosen an insurer yet because my Cali is not due to arrive until mid/late November but can anybody confirm that VW cover the vehicle for the 5 days following customer collection (sure I read that somewhere). If so, are people happy that the level of VWs temporary cover is adequate?

BJ, good afternoon.
Over the last few weeks I have obtained 6 quotes from recommended insurers off this forum. Today, in anticipation of collecting our Beach Camper 29/11/22 from Breeze, Poole I settled on Comfort and contacted them. They had quoted on their Twilight Scheme which has a limit of 10,000 miles per annum and today stated that the reason for this limitation was as a result of the Camper not having any kitchen facilities.
When I pointed out that the Camper does have a fold away hob, Comfort then stated that the vehicle was eligible for unlimited mileage per annum on the Horizon Scheme on their motor vehicle policy.
Instead of £396.66 it knocked out at £464.96 but the policy is much more comprehensive and I have gone with Comfort.
As has been pointed out numerous times in the forum, check then double check what the companies are offering in their policies.
Hope this helps your decision making, stay safe.

One big plus for Comfort is that they understand Campervans and Motorhomes! When I was with Admiral and tried to discuss “habitation“ cover I never got that warm feeling that they understood what I was talking about…… they treated the Cali as a work van.

I have a multi cover policy with Admiral and tried to get the Cali added. Was told they can’t cover me as the price is over 70k. Went with NFU instead.

I've just got a quote for our new 4Motion from Comfort whom we've been insured with before. They quoted £639, which is alot more than previously, which is apparently because l'm now over 75, and because of the increase cost of the vehicle.
There is another big cost, they insist that a tracker is fitted before the insurance is active, i.e. at dealers. Had a quote of £560 if the dealer arranges this.

I've just got a quote for our new 4Motion from Comfort whom we've been insured with before. They quoted £639, which is alot more than previously, which is apparently because l'm now over 75, and because of the increase cost of the vehicle.
There is another big cost, they insist that a tracker is fitted before the insurance is active, i.e. at dealers. Had a quote of £560 if the dealer arranges this.
Have you tried NFU? I was £340 incl protected no claims. No mention of a tracker but could be related to living in a rural location.

Probably going to go with LV . Was quoted £168.78 for a 2019 Ocean, mileage limited to 10,000 miles, parked in a garage, 9 years + NCB, one no fault accident in the last 2years. When I put my number plate it it came up with a Beach description. Phoned them and told them it was an Ocean which led to the changes below. Eventually after speaking to them they said they would classify it a VW motorhome and that would come with a better level of cover.

• VW CALIFORNIA T30 Beach TDI 150 AUTO Reg ****
    • £151.02
  • VW CALIFORNIA T30 OCEAN TDI 150 AUTO Reg ****
    • £151.87
  • Annual price for VW MOTORCARAVAN Reg ****

£161.78​

When I queried what I would get in the event of an accident they said they would go with what the registration says (in the event of an accident I obviously didn't want them pricing the replacement up on the basis of a converted camper van) . John the call handler got them (presumably the underwriters) to check and they confirmed that it was picking up and pricing in the background on the basis of a VW Ocean. He said it was doing this, regardless of what it was saying on the front screens - Beach, Ocean or Campervan. The campervan option was slightly more expensive than the Ocean one because it came with a better level of cover.

Last edited:
What ‘better level of cover’ does a campervan get over and above an Ocean, I wonder?

Not to put you off, but be aware what ‘personal possessions’ are covered and under what circumstances. I asked LV and was told that the items would need to be in a locked vehicle and out of sight in the boot. Camping equipment is not covered when in use. I also looked at our house insurance provisions, and that didn’t help very much.

Not to put you off, but be aware what ‘personal possessions’ are covered and under what circumstances. I asked LV and was told that the items would need to be in a locked vehicle and out of sight in the boot. Camping equipment is not covered when in use. I also looked at our house insurance provisions, and that didn’t help very much.
That what I would expect to hear from any main stream insurer and I am not so sure a lot of the specific camper van motor home insurance policies would be to different when it comes to their basic policies ie providing cover if you just left your stuff outside ....

Just did the same quote with Comfort and it was £502.66 versus £161.78 so a fair amount of money left over for another policy or topping up an option on a home policy for instance ....

Last edited:
That what I would expect to hear from any main stream insurer and I am not so sure a lot of the specific camper van motor home insurance policies would be to different when it comes to their basic policies ie providing cover if you just left your stuff outside ....

Just did the same quote with Comfort and it was £502.66 versus £161.78 so a fair amount of money left over for another policy or topping up an option on a home policy for instance ....
True. I think you might struggle with home insurance as they’re attitude generally is that motor insurance covers possessions in the car. You could try Shield Insurance though, they offer a camping policy (used to have this for a big frame tent set up).