Interesting silvered insulated roof cover

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
On a recent site I saw someone put a Silvered insulated external cover on the pop top of a T5 63 plate. I wish I had gone and talked to the, about it but I was shattered and didn't bother.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It was small, compact and looked pretty easy to wrap on, it tied around the back of the pop top.

Might be this thing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POP-UP-RO...W-Camper-T2-T4-T5-Any-Campervan-/271820015769

Anyone have any experience of them?

Last edited:
I've got something similar made by Pucer Screens.

http://shop.darenpucerscreens.co.uk/products/227616--t5-t6-california-roof-screen.aspx

It's made from the shiny silver insulation material which looks slightly different to the one you found. I use it all the time in the winter and, in my opinion, it's much simpler to get on and off than a full roof topper.

Mark
I found those too but the website has no updates post 2013 which put me off. Have you heard from them more recently?

Great info! Ordered and coming on Friday. Can't say better than that! :bananadance :thumb

Interesting. Easier to put on and cheaper. But does it insulate as well? There's no insulating air layer in between which on a regular external topper is about 10cm(?) all around.

I just wanted to add that the Pucer Screens topper is really good. We've happily used out van in deepest darkest winter and we've been perfectly warm inside. It has the added advantage of keeping the tent canvas dry too, which is definitely an advantage when the weather isn't good.

Does anyone know of a video showing the ease of fitting this ?

The couple I saw put one on made it look very easy. Significantly less than 5 mins from getting the bag out to getting on with the next task. We haven't tried ours yet but it looks simple, just one tie at the back.
We bought it to go to Germany which was going to be cold. We went to the South of France instead so didn't need it! :bananadance

Last edited:
I don't have a video, but it's dead simple. Just wrap it round the tent part, with it going between the struts and the tent material. Where the ends meet at the back, you just use a bungee cord with a hook on each end to hold it all together

On a recent site I saw someone put a Silvered insulated external cover on the pop top of a T5 63 plate. I wish I had gone and talked to the, about it but I was shattered and didn't bother.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It was small, compact and looked pretty easy to wrap on, it tied around the back of the pop top.

Might be this thing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POP-UP-RO...W-Camper-T2-T4-T5-Any-Campervan-/271820015769

Anyone have any experience of them?
Yep really easy to use and ensure a waterproof roof tent !

We have the Pucer screen and the topper.
We find that each product has it's place/function and both are good to have.
The pucer screen is slightly warmer than the topper, but it will have a tendency to condensate on the inside of the screen thus leaving the roof fabric a little damp in winter. It's also good in summer to reflect heat away form the roof which can get hot in Southern Europe. Just need to make sure you place the screen on the outside of the struts just to ensure a little air circulates otherwise you'll cook!
In short the Pucer screen is good for extremes of weather.
Topper is good for intermmediate weather, eg. Spring and Autumn.
This is not a definitive guide, just my personal experience/opinion. I am sure others may have different opinions.

Last edited:
Calicasas, is there ever an environment where you would use both i.e the Pucer on under the topper? Perhaps when camping in a ski resort?? Good thermal insulation as well as protection from extreme elements...

I surprised to hear that Cali Pucer's are being wrapped on the outside of the struts. I thought their effectiveness relied on making contact with the canvas and some form of seal top and bottom. Is that Darren's advice?
I had one on an old t4 (with the struts inside the canvas) and was very pleased with it.

Calicasas, is there ever an environment where you would use both i.e the Pucer on under the topper? Perhaps when camping in a ski resort?? Good thermal insulation as well as protection from extreme elements...
I don't think you could use both at the same time. The Cali topper is fitted while the roof is only partially open (so you couldn't fit the pucer before the topper) and once you open it fully there would be no way of then fitting the pucer as the Cali topper would be in the way.

I surprised to hear that Cali Pucer's are being wrapped on the outside of the struts. I thought their effectiveness relied on making contact with the canvas and some form of seal top and bottom. Is that Darren's advice?
I had one on an old t4 (with the struts inside the canvas) and was very pleased with it.
I use ours outside the struts, it fits fine and has a decent enough seal to keep us warm and dry.

I don't think I could be bothered feeding it behind the struts and imagine there would be a risk of damaging the pucer while doing so too.

I've used the pucer one this year, found it great for keeping the heat In it also darkens the bed up top helping keep the little one asleep in the middle of summer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So we have a new Pucer Cali dilemma. ....are you an 'Innie' (as above) or an 'outie' as previous replies :)

Hi, I did try once, but you would struggle to get them both on.
The sequence is such that you cannot fit both (though i am happy to take advice on anyone who has managed this).
The Pucer requires the roof to be fully elevated to be fitted, whilst the topper requires for the roof to be partly raised during the initial fit and further raised to fully install.
If you fit the topper first, sliding the pucer underneath is next to impossible. Installing the pucer first means that you can't physically get up high enough to throw the topper over the roof.
I have tried both and it's next to impossible - well I thought there were better things to do with my time than to struggle like a fool... :)

So we have a new Pucer Cali dilemma. ....are you an 'Innie' (as above) or an 'outie' as previous replies :)

I have the Pucer topper and thread it inside the struts as per Splitmikes photos. The struts help to hold it in place.....making it a one person job. Great but if kit IMO.

They do for insulating in winter, they don't make sense for reflecting sun whilst maintaining some circulation of air, the latter requiring the pucer on the outside of the struts. In winter I always place on the inside of the struts. This is through 5 years of trial and error and find that this method works well (for me anyway)... :)

We have a Cali Topper with the cut-outs for the windows and find that makes a real difference. You can still get the light in during the day and if it rains the water doesn't blow in.

We don't have young children so don't need the roof bed to be particularly dark. The air trapped between the topper and the bellows does form an insulating layer and keeps it warmer up there.
Comfortz can now put a plastic window in the Cali Topper to let light onto the solar panel if you want to have the topper on as well as using the panel. It drops the amount of power generated, but still works OK.

Back