Interesting van build using meccano like aluminium frame

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
A bit off the Cali topic but for those of us who contemplate building their own van in the future, this might be interesting.

He uses profiled aluminium to build out his van, that slots and bolts together like meccano. I've seen this used by some high-end RV builders in the US, but not on a small scale like this.

Thomas Heaton normally makes photography videos, but is converting a van during lockdown. Ironically I came across him because VW lent him a Cali for a promotion. He then bought a transit based van before making a (rather odd swap IMHO) to this mitsubishi.
Edit - I should add there is a video or two before this where he lays the floor and builds the frame, but if the system is going to grabby our attention, I think this is the video to do that.

Last edited:
I will check it out, funnily enough I've been watching Rickvanman build his own camper on YouTube last night. I've always fancied having a go.

He's recently posted a full walkthrough of the now finished van which I was going to post as a new topic before finding this one.

I really like his videos - down-to-earth guy & doesn't take himself too seriously.

I have a soft spot for the Delica & I think he's done a great job with this very specific build:

Back