Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intergrated child seat second row

Jerseyroberts

Jerseyroberts

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
hello,

Does anybody have or have any thoughts on the intergrated child seats in second row.......

from what I understand they are aimed at approx age 4 year old to around a 10 years old (depending on weight of course).

Are they easy to use?

Are they safe / as good as standard market child seat?

Do the side head rests need to be removed when an adult sits on them? How easy is this and where are they then stored?

Thanks, David

Hello David,
We have them in our Beach swivel seats. They are very well made and don't effect the comfort of the swivel seat when not in use. You have to remove the neck rest bolster when the seat is being used by an adult but that is a very simple task. To store them you merely throw them in the boot. These child seats are very easy to activate and stow away. Our grand kids love to use them on the rare occasions that we have the swivel seats fitted. Normally they have fully adjustable, full height boosters on the bench seat attached to the Isofix. The two swivels are only put in our van if we need to carry more than five persons.

Are they safe? Well I supose they must be as they will have been thoroughly tested by VW. However, in my mind they are a one size fits all solution. Unlike modern child booster seats which are designed to be adjusted for height as the child grows giving lateral support to the body, neck and head, these seats when activated remain the same size. By that I mean that when the child sits on the raised integral child seat with his/her back against the seat back, this seat back cannot be adjusted for height to suit the child and the neck bolster which gives the only support/lateral protection, also remains in the same position. The only part that is adjustable is the head rest but that isn't really much use to most child passengers. So in essence, your child will be a perfect fit at some point but, IMO, for most of the time as the child grows, these seats offer a compromise.

hello,

Does anybody have or have any thoughts on the intergrated child seats in second row.......

from what I understand they are aimed at approx age 4 year old to around a 10 years old (depending on weight of course).

Are they easy to use?

Are they safe / as good as standard market child seat?

Do the side head rests need to be removed when an adult sits on them? How easy is this and where are they then stored?

We have them. They are Group 2 (15-25kg) and Group 3 (22-36kg) seats. Group 2 with the head support and Group 3 with just the booster.

As Group 2 seats I would say that they are UNSAFE to use with young children. I stopped using them with my 3 year old 15kg son when I saw he had fallen asleep and fallen out of the seat, lying almost horizontally across it.

The child booster seat just pops up from the main seat, and clips down again when not needed. The head restraint fits onto the head rest, so it's a matter of seconds to switch from adult to Group 3 to Group 2 seats, and back again.

Just don't be in a hurry to move your child from Group 1 seats with its own harness. Consider the integrated seats as only being suitable for school aged children 22kg+, or smaller children for short trips.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks to both of the responses above.

Fantastic advice and guidance. I'm based in Jersey so mostly short trips using them but I think any trips away to France il use other more adjustable seats.

Many thanks to both of you again. I have based lots of decisions on bits of advice you have given on the threads on here. Superb.