Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior cab light LED upgrade

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Morning all,

I have just fitted an LED replacement for the dull, miserable festoon bulb which made the 'night cab' look and feel like Scrooges Counting House on Christmas Eve. The difference is staggering!

I naively bought a pair, thinking the map light would also be a festoon type bulb...stupid boy.

So I now need advice on the map light.

How do I get it out? Is it a screw, a bayonet or a push fit? The reflector makes it hard to grip the bulb and I can't budge the thing. If I knew how it was anchored I could be a bit more brutal.

Can anyone point me at the correct LED bulb to upgrade the map light?

Can I replace the passenger area step light with an LED?

I have looked around 'our' forums and various web sites, but can't seemed to find the information I am seeking.

I asked the same question on the T5 forum earlier this week, you can buy a set of bulbs on fleabay that do the lot. Item number 191417065774

Sent from my Galaxy S6

It's a bit of an art to get it out. The lens flicks out with a small screwdriver. The bulb is a push/twist bayonet if memory serves.
I've looked for an LED replacement without success. Chances are an LED unit will be too big?

S.

Thanks for you replies. I'm following up Freeley's advice on the eBay seller, but I guess I'm just going to have to put up with that miserable bulb in the map light as I think 'sidepod' is right, in that I'm unlikely to fine a LED replacement that will fit in that very small space.

By map light do you mean the bendy armed thing in the roof? I've got an LED in there, will try and find the details, but think it was made by Osram.

It is a push and twist type.

Same here i bought an led bulb for the roof light after advice on here. Still got the packet - it's osram ledt4w, part number 3850cw-02b. I thought the OP was talking about the reading lights on the front central roof console.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Sorry didnt realise this was T4 section! Don't know if bulbs are the same as T5?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks TwentyOneThirtyFive. I actually meant the small square 'map reading' light beside the main cab light, but I'd forgotten about the roof light, so I would like to LED'iz that one too. If you can find the details, I would be grateful.

Do you have a LED bulb in the small square cab/passenger light? I would really like to LED that one.

Also, thanks for your interest Freeley...not sure what is compatible between T4s and T5s.

Ah, that light. No, don't have an led in that one.

I think the bulb for the bendy light is the same one as Freely has used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to gatecrash here but I also wanted to upgrade the interior lights to LED, and wanted some advice if possible.

I intend to buy the LEDs from the site shop, but saw the note saying that the LEDs were not compatible with the main light over the kitchen area. Anybody know what I need to get for that?

Also Freeley, can you please confirm that the below part is for the flexi light that lives upstairs?

"osram ledt4w, part number 3850cw-02b".

Thanks.

Yes that's the one. Definitely fits T5 and 5.1 and it seems T4 as well.
Replacing the fluorescent bulb in the kitchen light involves some jiggery-pokery with wiring etc so beyond me unfortunately. I think they make led fluorescent bulbs but doesn't seem like a simple swap over from what I've read on here in the past.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks for the quick response Freeley.

Hadn't actually looked that closely at the kitchen light, so didn't realise it was substantially different from the others, just a little brighter. I reckon with the others swapped out it will make a big difference anyway.

That's my Christmas present sorted then!!

You just need to disconnect the Ballast in the floru light fitting and use it's 12v supply to directly power the LEDs.

Alternatively, Poptop in the Netherlands did a full replacement LED light fitting for the Westalia Cali, maybe they do one for T5s as well.

My 2014 California SE is all LED including the overhead kitchen "strip" light.

It's time to upgrade the 2 rear interior bulbs to L.E.D where's the best place to purchase?

Thanks Welshgas
Does this fit in the T4? The light fitting looks different
Sorry, wouldn't know. There was no indication on your Avatar or in your post as to what vehicle you had.

You just need to disconnect the Ballast in the floru light fitting and use it's 12v supply to directly power the LEDs.

Alternatively, Poptop in the Netherlands did a full replacement LED light fitting for the Westalia Cali, maybe they do one for T5s as well.

Hi TwentyOneThirtyFive, would you know if an LED replacement for the fluorescent lighting in our T4s are sill available anywhere please?

CamperVanCulture had some LED tubes. They're for the T3 westies, but may fit?

http://campervanculture.com/shop/cvc-300mm-warm-glow-led-replacement-upgrade-tube-bulb/

Poptop in the Netherlands had some complete units, but I don't see the point of replacing the whole unit unless it is damaged in some way.

http://www.poptopshop.nl/a-25419132...california-vito-marco-polo-en-transit-nugget/

The alternative is to use a strip of LEDs (you can get them off eBay and the like) and just tape them into the light fitting.

As an example (there are hundreds more!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warm-Whit...id=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=281956680079

I've umm'd and err'd about changing to LEDs, but stuck with the originals for the moment. The problem with LEDs is reflecting the light, not sure how well that will work. When one of the bulbs fails I might try experimenting then.

Just looking at replacing the main festoon bulb with an LED one , soooo many on ebay hard to make a choice.

Has anyone installed the ones on the left of the image?, I guess 16 LED ones is the way to go for max lighting.

LEDS.jpg

Used them in my Land Rover to good effect. Very bright white light. Polarity is important. Only work 1 way. So if it doesn't work then turn through 180'.:thumb

12V

Last edited: