Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior LED Lighting

Some people may well be interested in this LED strip lighting we fitted in our California...

Called Aten and ordered the same. They were very good. Because we have the interior isotop, I have fitted the strip differently round the front ledge and it bent round the corner well enough. Just be careful where you store the remote... I had it in the door and when driving the lights would sometimes come on.... which is fine if it comes on flashing blue !! The roads clear quickly.

Just be careful where you store the remote...
We have 12v plain white LEDs for the wind out and driveaway awnings. We Velcro the remote just above the seat belt height adjustment on the driver's door. It can be used as an on/off switch or removed and taken away just before locking the van if we are going out in the evening and returning after dark.

I very much want to upgrade to these RGB lights and leave them fixed on the wind out awning arms. What I don't know is if the controller can be fixed and left in place in the awning casing void at the front of the awning. Something to investigate and work out once we return to the UK.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have 12v plain white LEDs for the wind out and driveaway awnings. We Velcro the remote just above the seat belt height adjustment on the driver's door. It can be used as an on/off switch or removed and taken away just before locking the van if we are going out in the evening and returning after dark.

I very much want to upgrade to these RGB lights and leave them fixed on the wind out awning arms. What I don't know is if the controller can be fixed and left in place in the awning casing void at the front of the awning. Something to investigate and work out once we return to the UK.

I think the controller may be too big for that, but no reason why you couldn't have the controller in the van and have a 'connector' which you plug in as you setup...

I think the controller may be too big for that, but no reason why you couldn't have the controller in the van and have a 'connector' which you plug in as you setup...

It's a big space, and takes a 1/2 litre bottle.
44853d75b4412d5e0c0d273844c63712.jpg

It'll fit in there, just depends whether you want the controller in the van re better protection from the elements, and you have more experience of the elements when travelling ;-)
I guess the test would be a roll of toilet paper in there during a thunderstorm and how wet it gets. A 12v controller must be able to take some level of splashing.

To be able to use the remote at 50m when returning from the pub, I'm guessing the controller would need to be external or in a window. I'm struggling to think of a window it could go near and be unobtrusive.

I've been thinking about this a little more.

We have our 12v supply coming out of the van at the tailgate. It looks like those awning support arms can be moved forward, within limits, but the under casing void could be moved from the front of the awning casing to the rear of the awning casing.

The tricky bit would be getting the 12v supply into the awning casing while keeping everything rain resistant, but a small drill hole through the plastic end cap would be fine and the 12v supply sealed through the hole.

I think that the controller fitted in the void under the awning will be fine, and we can have a fit and forget RGB LED wind out awning lighting solution.

Sounds like a fun experiment and at least it wont cost mega bucks. I get the feeling if you talk to them you may come up with something that may allow its self to be altered if it's not right first time. Look forward to seeing the results.:thumb

I contacted Aten about this kit & they advised that due to the popularity of it after California campings video they now have a two - three week back order.

I contacted Aten about this kit & they advised that due to the popularity of it after California campings video they now have a two - three week back order.

Just seen this! That’s fantastic! They really are great to deal with so we are really pleased

Just seen this! That’s fantastic! They really are great to deal with so we are really pleased

I have just ordered one too and was told 3 weeks. I think that the popularity has taken them by surprise :)

We bought the outdoor LED lights at the NEC and it’s installed along the awning housing. James fed the wiring down the rubbers in the rear tailgate, then along the floor back towards the front of the van. The ‘gubbins’ are all slotted neatly inside the useless rear bench cup holder, and powered by the useless 12v socket there.

It can still be turned on and off by the main switch because of its location, but you control it via a fob on your key ring in the main.