Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior Lights Problem - How to Get At The Fuse??

M

Martyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I'm hoping that someone can help me with this little problem:

I've been having an issue with the flexi reading light yesterday and was messing about with it, trying to get the bulb to sit properly in its holder. I think I must have caused a short somehow or other, because I discovered today that the RCD had flipped in the back and although I've turned it back on, none of the interior LED reading lights come on. From what I've found here on the forum, it appears that the fuse has probably blown and it's going to be number 18 (10a - red) under the passenger seat. So here's the question: How the heck to you get to the fuse?? What needs to be removed in order to get at it??

Any help gratefully received.

Martyn

No expert, but if you swivel the passenger seat and then push the seat forward (i.e. in towards the back of the van) all the fuses become clearly visible - or so I discovered today. If that's where your fuse is it should be easy to find.

p.s. thank you! I should add that I'm going to try and replace the stupid bulb in the flexi lamp with an LED, failing that I might replace with the full VW LED unit

Turning it just a quarter and the pushing it forward or backwards can give more acces space ...

Alison, you're an angel - why didn't I think of that??

Martyn
I've been called many things. But not quite sure I am light enough to fly.... Just pleased it helped

p.s. thank you! I should add that I'm going to try and replace the stupid bulb in the flexi lamp with an LED, failing that I might replace with the full VW LED unit
There is an Osram LED equivalent bulb. It is a tight fit through the bulb hole, but a bit of force and it pops through. Works well.

I'm hoping that someone can help me with this little problem:

I've been having an issue with the flexi reading light yesterday and was messing about with it, trying to get the bulb to sit properly in its holder. I think I must have caused a short somehow or other, because I discovered today that the RCD had flipped in the back and although I've turned it back on, none of the interior LED reading lights come on. From what I've found here on the forum, it appears that the fuse has probably blown and it's going to be number 18 (10a - red) under the passenger seat. So here's the question: How the heck to you get to the fuse?? What needs to be removed in order to get at it??

Any help gratefully received.

Martyn
Exactly the same scenario has just happened to me. Was the fuse the one under the passenger seat that you mention? Another thread mentions the middle top row fuse behind the drinks holder. My Cali is a 140 SE, bought Jan 2014. Cheers, Richard.

The fuse on our 64 plate is a red 10amp one at the end of the front row.

The fuse on our 64 plate is a red 10amp one at the end of the front row.
Many thanks for your advice (and to everyone else who has made this forum into such a valuable resource). I wouldn't have had a clue where to start looking. The fuse in my Cali WAS a red 10 amp one, one of two under the passenger seat, although in the middle of the row. I used the plastic fuse tool from the compartment behind the cup-holder to get it out.

Glad you got it sorted Richard.

BTW, the replacement VW LED light is much better. The mounting plate is not exactly the same (I can't think why they didn't engineer it the same), but it does fit.

Just changed the flexi light after the flexi metal snapped whilst changing I blew the fuse…. Yes, it was the 10amp under seat…. very helpful thread.