Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior lights unable to turn off?

P

Psb

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone- new to the club & I know there’s more important things going on in the world right now but ..,
I’ve got a 6.1 Ocean. Anyone experienced problems with the interior lights coming on & being unable to turn them off either manually or via the touch screen? Hoping there’s a quick fix & I don’t have to go back to the dealer.
Thanks

Hi Everyone- new to the club & I know there’s more important things going on in the world right now but ..,
I’ve got a 6.1 Ocean. Anyone experienced problems with the interior lights coming on & being unable to turn them off either manually or via the touch screen? Hoping there’s a quick fix & I don’t have to go back to the dealer.
Thanks

Wondering if you or anyone else still has problems with / solutions for interior light switching issues?

On my 6.1 Ocean, the two sets of two lights (above the kitchen and above the sliding door) sometimes don't go off on locking the vehicle or starting the engine. Sometimes the buttons at the lights allow me to switch off and sometimes they don't. Sometimes when parked these buttons will work to switch the lights on and sometimes they won't. Sometimes I can switch them on or off from the control panel and sometimes I can't. Sometimes the two reading light switches below the control panel will work and sometimes they won't. I've tried many combinations of ignition on / off, camping mode on / off. Had to drive yesterday with the kitchen and sliding door lights on, because I could not find a way of keeping these off with the engine started. So far, I've always been able to find a way to switch off while in the vehicle at night or when parking it up, but never the same routine twice and I have found no rhyme or reason to it all.

We had this issue with the lights above kitchen and door staying on when we drove - we found there was a 3rd light switch under the control panel.. 1 is light passenger side, 1 is light drivers side, and 1 is lights in rear..

That solved our issue - sounds like your may have already found that button though..

First drive at night and I too have lights in the back as described by Devon Matt. I had spotted the switch in the overhead control panel but it seems to do nothing. Just drove 40 miles with the back lit up like a Christmas tree. Any ideas ?

You may want to try the following - we find that the lights can be a bit funny..

enter the vehicle, close all doors and wait for the entry lights to go off. Then try turning off the lights that are on via their switches. If they don’t turn off, try the button under the control panel and try again.

just make sure you leave enough time for the “entry” lights to go off.

hope that helps

Thanks for the advice It was my first drive after collecting Tuesday so all new to me. Lights also not responding correctly to the control panel control.

The interior lights are a law unto themselves. I think the key to much of the confusion comes from the light switches below the rear view mirror. I certainly had a weird journey where the kitchenette lights were on whenever the ignition was on, but went off when the ignition was off. It was the rear light button on the console just below the mirror that was on.

The manual isn't too helpful on the subject. Another alternative may be magic dust!

Good news. In the cold light of day I could see clearly how each of the roof console lights were marked up and the switch I thought was the back lights was actually door entry lights. So happy problem solved. Next task is to check the temperature of the fridge at setting 5

Setting 5 gave a perfect temperature for the fridge. Ticked off as good

The interior light controls are really annoying (so far) just did not have the issue with my previous T6, the lights come on and stay on when you open up the vehicles, if you take the key out they stay on, you turn the:eek:ff at the control panel and open the passenger doo and they come back on again. Real shame that the lighting control gives you no real ”control” at all :(

What's wrong with an on off switch VW? The t6 lights work like that just fine. I want it on press the switch. I want it off press the switch again. You know. A bit like how it works in a house. Stop with all this fancy useless electronic bolox

I couldn’t turn my rear interior lights off yesterday, it seemed that no matter what button I pressed, they wouldn’t go off!
No idea how it sorted itself out in the end!

We had this issue with the lights above kitchen and door staying on when we drove - we found there was a 3rd light switch under the control panel.. 1 is light passenger side, 1 is light drivers side, and 1 is lights in rear..

That solved our issue - sounds like your may have already found that button though..

Just jumping on this..our lights above the sliding door are a law unto themselves, they actually come on by themselves & stay on no matter what. We’ve tried every combo & reset but can’t fathom it. Dealer visit for us ( a pain as it’s a trek )

Just jumping on this..our lights above the sliding door are a law unto themselves, they actually come on by themselves & stay on no matter what. We’ve tried every combo & reset but can’t fathom it. Dealer visit for us ( a pain as it’s a trek )
They are unnecessarily complicated for sure.
And their behaviour changes depending on how you have the physical button set up by the rear view mirror.
They also change if camping mode is selected (Although when you drive camping mode is switch off automatically)

So it rather depends what the issue is that you are seeing.
If they are on whilst you are driving and you'd rather that they were not, then it will probably be the button up by the rear view mirror.

If the issue is whilst stationery or camping then it can just be getting your head around how they come on and eventually time out (Just like a long courtesy delay on a normal car interior light) which plunges you into darkness. When that happens and you turn them on manually - you will then have to turn them off manually. And driving the van doesn't reset that.

I tend to pop camping mode on straight away when stationery (or camping) - That turns them all off and the long courtesy delay is overriden (Turning them all off) And then I am in control. But you will have to turn them off manually. If you can't turn them off manually - Try the button by the rear view mirror.

Like I say - needless complicated. There are a few YT vids out there that try to explain. Hopefully it is just a case of getting your head around VW logic, and you can avoid a trip to the dealer.

They are unnecessarily complicated for sure.
And their behaviour changes depending on how you have the physical button set up by the rear view mirror.
They also change if camping mode is selected (Although when you drive camping mode is switch off automatically)

So it rather depends what the issue is that you are seeing.
If they are on whilst you are driving and you'd rather that they were not, then it will probably be the button up by the rear view mirror.

If the issue is whilst stationery or camping then it can just be getting your head around how they come on and eventually time out (Just like a long courtesy delay on a normal car interior light) which plunges you into darkness. When that happens and you turn them on manually - you will then have to turn them off manually. And driving the van doesn't reset that.

I tend to pop camping mode on straight away when stationery (or camping) - That turns them all off and the long courtesy delay is overriden (Turning them all off) And then I am in control. But you will have to turn them off manually. If you can't turn them off manually - Try the button by the rear view mirror.

Like I say - needless complicated. There are a few YT vids out there that try to explain. Hopefully it is just a case of getting your head around VW logic, and you can avoid a trip to the dealer.
Thanks. We fully have our head round how they work, as you say, ridiculously complicated. It seems when plugged into mains they behave perfectly, as soon as mains is off they turn themselves on with no other input. Bizarre

Thanks. We fully have our head round how they work, as you say, ridiculously complicated. It seems when plugged into mains they behave perfectly, as soon as mains is off they turn themselves on with no other input. Bizarre
My apologies, maybe I should have read your post more carefully. So it's just the 2 over the door and no others? Mighty odd that being on hookup influences their behaviour. So when they are on, you cannot turn them off at all? The button by the rear view mirror has no impact? And the local buttons don't switch and the control panel dimmers don't work? If that's the case it does sound like a trip to the dealers. My apologies if I misunderstood. Good luck

I have had this over the kitchen unit and only solution is to set to camping mode before outing key in ignition, I will try the button under rear view mirror!

Back