Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent sliding door issue.

Stu@rt

Stu@rt

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Couldn't find my specific issue in the search, so a new thread, I am afraid.

MY21 Coast - so sliding door is fully manual and no soft close.

After a period of inactivity the sliding door sticks. You pull the outside handle and the door pops open by about an inch (so it's not even come towards you fully at this stage) and you cannot slide it rearward. There appears a hard stop. Something mechanical is stopping it. Release the grip on the outside handle and pull it a 2nd time and it frees and allows you to slide it open with no further issues. Close it up again and you cannot recreate it immediately. It will then be fine for the remainder of the day at least.

Leave the van a few days and the issue will be back. With it being predictably intermittent there seems little point in booking it for the dealer, as it will be a wasted day with no fault found. Whatever the technician says he has done will be a "fix" as it only sticks once. Anyone can say they have resolved it until tomorrow !

Not understanding the release mechanism fully, I don't see where to start fiddling. I have tried some lubricant spray on the bits at the rear, but I can't pinpoint what is sticking. I see the electrical contacts on the front edge/B pillar and not sure how that ties in, if at all.

In my imagination, I think it is becoming more frequent and the idle time between incidents less, so obviously will be easier for a dealer to resolve should it become permanent.

Any pointers gratefully received, whilst recognising that most on here will have a auto door, or a soft close, so will be different to my Coast.

Thanks in advance.

Is there any more outward movement in the door between when the handle is released and you try a second time to push it rearward. Does it open normally from the inside after a period of a few days stationary?

Is there any more outward movement in the door between when the handle is released and you try a second time to push it rearward. Does it open normally from the inside after a period of a few days stationary?
Thanks for the reply - I'll check it next time. Used it lots today, so it will be fine at the moment.

Back