Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal insulation for the pop top T6 Beach

L

leeroy747

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have just bought a T6 California Beach and I want to get some internal insulation for it, the only two options I can find are the Thais and Brandrup (have I missed any?). The camper will be used in Ireland and throughout Europe once we can travel, we don't plan to use in snow or extremely cold conditions. We will have 2 kids sleeping upstairs.

The Brandrup is twice the price of the Thais. Is there anyone that has experience of either or both and can advise which is the better option? What is the finish on the Thais like? Its hard to find much information on it.

I’ve had both but in the electric roof.
The Thais one worked well & had a nice bright white internal finish. The material was like a rubbery waterproof sheet.

The current isotop is a grey finish with a nice velvety feel that feels a bit more plush.

The reason I changed from Thais to isotop was because the Thais didn’t have an opening front window just the side ones if it wasn’t for that I would have stuck with the Thais & been very happy with it.

Insulation and waterproofing wise they are just as good as each other.

Well there you are 'top' @andyinluton for experience :D
I have only had the Isotop following glowing reviews for it but I dragged my heels to spend that kind of money. That said once you have it fitted there is no looking back. I never researched enough to find the other one.

I would also add as my new van has the full panoramic opening I’ve had to buy a new liner, I didn’t even think about a Thais just went straight for the isotop.

hello, this week I got the poptop thermal insulation from Thais; with large window at the front. On their site, I did leave the language on Spanish and chose accessories: 'con ventana frontal extragrande'. It looks good and costs a little more than half the price from the Brandrup, with shipping costs. But:
if you leave the language on Spanish, you can't seem to have it shipped to the UK ... only: if you set the language to English, you can't order the large window in the front. I live in Belgium, so it worked for me but I think you might want to contact them because of the large front window option. Or buy the brandrup one.
Thanks to andyinluton now I know that the isolation of Thais works well :thumb
I also ordered some other things from Thais, such as the base for the porta potti.

Greetings

Have you seen radioactive mikes post about making your own
external one?

We have just bought a T6 California Beach and I want to get some internal insulation for it, the only two options I can find are the Thais and Brandrup (have I missed any?). The camper will be used in Ireland and throughout Europe once we can travel, we don't plan to use in snow or extremely cold conditions. We will have 2 kids sleeping upstairs.

The Brandrup is twice the price of the Thais. Is there anyone that has experience of either or both and can advise which is the better option? What is the finish on the Thais like? Its hard to find much information on it.
We have the Brandrup in our Beach, expensive but good quality and does the job nicely.

Despite the fact that we never felt the need to use an external cover for the last 8 years with our T4 westfalia, we still bought a rain poncho at Poptop in the Netherlands; it is not expensive and if we still want to put a hood over the lifting roof, we have one. It is a simple version of the well-known rain hood.
We are rather in favor of internal insulation and use an original westfalia insulation in our old T4 with great satisfaction; that's why we bought the internal isolation from Thais (see my post somewhere above) for our soon te be delived coast. But now we have both, both internally and externally.
Now we wait for the Coast but our delivery date has become a bit earlier, so will have to hurry with my orders ;):D
Greetings

Last edited:
Calicozy, perfect as the other two you mentioned. Never took it off except two washing rounds, since 2016. We are five, parents upstairs. No problem in winter or summer (we slept upstairs in the snow on dec 31st). Super!
Look for Nick in the forum!
Ciao
Ignazio
9c5c526df385ff14d066d83333863c35.png
f36bfbce2b3481db3dce536e1d65801c.png
9add725facc296993a490b7819dd3ea8.png
e897c2e046c974a5818db210055d56ed.png
820b30022bdef439e4a1041034e31de9.png

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

there is an install video on the YouTube channel and it’s for a beach :) I highly rate the isotop it made the poptop so much nicer to sleep in.

Am I right a 6.0 Ocean with front window in the tent is a standard window for Thais SL and that the extra big window is 6.1 only?

hello, this week I got the poptop thermal insulation from Thais; with large window at the front. On their site, I did leave the language on Spanish and chose accessories: 'con ventana frontal extragrande'. It looks good and costs a little more than half the price from the Brandrup, with shipping costs. But:
if you leave the language on Spanish, you can't seem to have it shipped to the UK ... only: if you set the language to English, you can't order the large window in the front. I live in Belgium, so it worked for me but I think you might want to contact them because of the large front window option. Or buy the brandrup one.
Thanks to andyinluton now I know that the isolation of Thais works well :thumb
I also ordered some other things from Thais, such as the base for the porta potti.

Greetings
Can you tell me if the Thais fits a 2015 Cali Ocean with an electric roof? It does not appear on the options. Thanks.

Can you tell me if the Thais fits a 2015 Cali Ocean with an electric roof? It does not appear on the options. Thanks.
Hi
If yours is a T5 then, I guess yes but if you are not sure: better ask them;
5DA209AC-E725-4C37-834A-C0746C8A7DB9.png
greetings
Calibusje

I have it in my Ocean 6.0
I just istalled the Thais internal insulation in our Ocean 6.0. The cut seems to be off. In the rear the fabric is stretched, while in the front it's way too loose. I've measured the distances between the joints, t-velcro attachments and buttons, but still having fitting issues. Second, one of the t-velcro attachments started to come off after reattaching it 2 or 3 times, and one of the buttons already ripped out of the fabric. I've been realy carefull during installation, so I'm quite disappointed in the durability of this product. Does anyone have similar issues? Or am I missing something?

I just istalled the Thais internal insulation in our Ocean 6.0. The cut seems to be off. In the rear the fabric is stretched, while in the front it's way too loose. I've measured the distances between the joints, t-velcro attachments and buttons, but still having fitting issues. Second, one of the t-velcro attachments started to come off after reattaching it 2 or 3 times, and one of the buttons already ripped out of the fabric. I've been realy carefull during installation, so I'm quite disappointed in the durability of this product. Does anyone have similar issues? Or am I missing something?
I've fitted the Thais version to our 2019 Beach and it fits really well. That's obviously the manual roof with no window at the front but was very pleased with it.

So this is what mine looks like now. Any thoughts?
IMG_20211029_142226.jpgIMG_20211029_142212.jpgIMG_20211029_142204.jpg

Hi all,
Just wondering whether anyone has any experience of the Thais insulation on a 2006 cali with electric roof? I have read on another thread that some of the later T5's and facelift models had slightly different roof? they are slightly higher?
I have been looking at both the Brandrup and Thais, and seems both have got great reviews on this thread, but I only have the 2 side windows and the Brandrup seems to have the front window which I wouldnt need. Also its twice the price.
I see the Thais doesnt ship to the UK any more, but I have contacts in the Netherlands I could probably get it shipped via.

Has anyone fitted a Thais to a 2006?

Many thanks

Back