Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal window insulation choice

D

Dave Packer

Hi any recommendations for internal window / windscreen insulation please? Seems to be a big difference in price

Cheers

Brandrup all day long fits exactly to the windscreen no gaps no condensation total blackout and they store on top of the roof bed mattress so take up no space

We have the silver internal Brandrup thermal windscreen and front side window covers. Being Brandrup they were expensive but are very effective at keeping light out and aren't too difficult to fit, although because we have a dash cam it can be a bit of a faff. However in practice we hardly ever use them now.

We also have the padded Comfortz external windscreen cover. This is also an excellent product which also keeps the light out and the heat in whilst not causing the same degree of condensation. However that doesn't get used that much either mainly because being outside it gets wet and requires drying before stowing. Also this item is a tad bulky when packed up. So we will only usually use this piece of kit during the winter when we are on site for several nights.

The third option and the one that we tend to use the most these days at least during the warmer months are the VW factory curtains that come with the van. They aren't as effective at keeping the light out and don't offer much if any insulative qualities. They also don't prevent condensation from building up although that issue can be controlled by allowing sufficient ventilation. However they are ideal for stealth camping as they are quick to put up and take down without getting out of the van. Also they take up no space and don't need drying in the morning. You can pull up and have them in place in seconds.

This is our second Cali and we've always used both of them all year round. We've camped in storms, at high altitude in the Alps and elsewhere, been in very cold frosty conditions and on one meet last year camped in a blizzard with heavy drifting snow. On all of those occasions we have never been that cold at night and have rarely needed to run the heater. If we did it wasn't continously. So we have never found the insulation element to be a major issue. Although having said that we have always had one of these arrangements in place so it's difficult to comment on how well each performs in this respect compared to having no window covers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sad
In winter external insulated (silver) screen covers. Can’t remember the name off top of my head. Keep you warm and dark. Mrs Trev is not a fan of these due to how dark they make the interior. As others have said they are bulkier and bit of a pain when wet (buy a Dry bag). Rest of year just the standard internal vw blinds.

Brandrup all day long fits exactly to the windscreen no gaps no condensation total blackout and they store on top of the roof bed mattress so take up no space
I also love these and use them all the time - I have the ISOthermal ones so good for keeping cool in summer and warmer in winter.
However I do find extensive condensation - but I think that is a combination of factors and not just the liners.

I have been looking too and notice Brandrup have several models for my T5.1 Se cali.. All diff prices and model numbers.. Confusing... And then the rain sensor gets a mention.. assumed that was outside the vehicle... Also are they easy to take down and store or is it painful?
100 701 501 and others. all depends where you look...

Last edited:
It’s all very well insulating the windows, but Condensation/Water Vapour will go somewhere, it has to, just general laws of physics so it will always condense on the coldest surfaces. If not the windows then on the body panels or in the roof area.
Curtains or blinds for darkness but plenty of ventilation and then an appropriate use of the heater for warmth.
We use the VW blinds, front windows open 2cms each side or use Brandrup window vents and then the heater from 0 to 2 over night continuously.

l keep roof up but bed down and sliding roof panel thingy above the front seats open a few inch and as you say vent the windows a bit.. you get the chimney effect then .. in through side windows and out through roof side vents.. seems to work for me as i sleep downstairs.. but would like more insulation.. cant believe rear wardrobes aint insulated inside! that would help??

I don’t use the vw curtains. I find the front ones too fiddly to roll back in straight. I’ve bought second hand internal stick on type which are easy to fit, give good blackout and some thermal protection. I’m not overly worried about thermal insulation, as the heater is very effective...

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/