International Travel 2021.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
With many countries closing Borders or limiting International travel due to the fear of Covid 19 mutations, How do you think 2021 is going to pan out?
Australia and New Zealand have recently mentioned 2022 as the earliest for International Tourism.
Personally, I think restrictions will be in place for most of 2021 especially land travel but fly in/out to certain holiday destinations might happen eg: Canaries or Mediterranean islands etc.

We have mentally written off 2021 as far as holidays are concerned.

After lockdown we are more than happy just to have some normality and catch up with family and friends. So any travel would be based on doing that.

Priority is getting to New York to see our youngest.

Mike

With many countries closing Borders or limiting International travel due to the fear of Covid 19 mutations, How do you think 2021 is going to pan out?
Australia and New Zealand have recently mentioned 2022 as the earliest for International Tourism.
Personally, I think restrictions will be in place for most of 2021 especially land travel but fly in/out to certain holiday destinations might happen eg: Canaries or Mediterranean islands etc.
Not expecting the freedom to travel to the EU during 2021 but hopeful that UK wide trips will happen.

Not expecting much. Some package holidays maybe mid summer, caving in to commercial pressure. Would like to get to Alicante to see Mrs Willwanders boy, who we have not seen since last Christmas and is having to miss his Granddad’s funeral next week. Not planning anything, but if we seen a window of opportunity we will be off.

Hopefully UK camping will go ahead, at some point, maybe June time, but I expect campsites will be rammed like last year.

I am making tentative bookings Uk thinking that its unlikely that we will be able to go anywhere abroad.
I still retain a feint hope that our usual trip to Spain might be on at the end of the Summer, If any one knows of an insurer still giving cancellation cover for a villa rental please let me know who & I will book.
Apart from 1976 I've never had good weather in Devon or Cornwall at the end of August & the thought of the usual crowds + thousands more does not really appeal.
Am thinking its going to have to be Pembrokshire & Northumbria just to avoid the worst of the crowds.

I think the scenario you describe is pretty likely. A few island destinations may be able to make a case for allowing travel, but would you really want to go to any of them? They'll be rammed full.

By summer I'd expect (hope!) intra-UK travel to be fairly open, at least for camping etc. Anyone wanting to ensure a guaranteed spot somewhere would do well to book it now, demand is likely to be crazy once there's a hint of opening up.

We'll remain flexible as we did last year, the great beauty of a Cali is that it allows you to do that. We almost never stay more than one night anywhere when we're touring, and if it gets that hard to find camping spots we'll be looking up old friends with driveways up and down the country!

Personally, I think despite a lot of precautions having to stay in place, it will be a great summer here in Britain!

Despite my best attempts at optimism I think your spot on with this one. Having been inspired by yours and others trips to Norway I ordered maps and camping guides for Norway and have been making plans. However we have already decided these are more likely to be 2022 plans now.

I think UK camping will open up again once sufficient progress with vaccinations is made and assuming infection rates return to the low levels of last summer. Our experience last year was if you kept away from the honey pot sites there was plenty of capacity especially mid week outside of Jul/Aug, the Cali is perfect for flexible planning and trips at short notice when the sun shines.

Lets keep positive
Kelvin

Last edited:
I am being optimistic that even if the govt slips their current deadline, July/Aug seems possible. Looking forward to Norway this Sept. Ferry booked - Travemunde to Helsinki. Train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi pending. Ferry has a clause where I can re-schedule twice, so all well there. The train does not provide any such clause ... but as well all agree - the flexibility of the Cali will definitely help with some quick getaways.

if it gets that hard to find camping spots we'll be looking up old friends with driveways up and down the country!
Just what I've been thinking. I hope that some friends with fields won't mind a visit too.
It's difficult to second guess what will transpire, but to me, a friend with a field will be a better bet than any campsite!

Zero plans to fly anywhere this year.
It’s going to be a total nightmare both ends of flying IMO

Really hoping Europe opens up. I will be heading to Switzerland at the next available opportunity.
I’ve had enough of putting life on hold...

We had to postpone last year's plans already, so ferries to/from Scandinavia (Travemünde-Helsinki and Bergen-Hirtshals) moved to mid August-mid Sept timeframe and one to the UK (Hoek van Holland-Harwich v.v.) for Camperjam. These were our last and latest possibilities of ferry rescheduling...
But whether we will be able to use them? Perhaps if indeed some EU vaccination passport comes along before then (there is talk of that in the council, spurred by some of the southern European countries heavily dependent on tourism). We are old enough to be in the middle batches for the vaccination program here, so hopefully vaccinated before July (Camperjam). But if it will come to that? We have our doubts.
We, too, have mentally written of the ferries and their (already paid) fares...

We keep rebooking our Brittany ferries trip, we planned mid Feb but slowly moving it back. We were lucky to have a trip in October with an interesting trip back to port due to regional closures. We were allowed to travel from the Valencia region to Santander as were were going home. We were the only customers in the hotel on route. 2 weeks quarantine at home was no problem as had done our important shopping in Spain - wine, beer, tinned fish and bread.

If we do not make it to Spain I hope to visit relatives in Devon and South Wales and really want a cycling trip in London. Ah well one day.

I very much agree with the broad outline of all the comments above. We had hoped to get to France for a holiday and to go to the Le Mans Classic but am already putting plans on hold.
UK destinations are most likely for us and so we are already seeking out some of the least likely/less busy places that would be off most folks radar. Some ideas so far - Suffolk/Constable Country, Dorset (Away from coast), Lincolnshire, Northumberland, Yorkshire, Pembroke?, Dumfries & Galloway. Anyone want to add others?
Of course we make the assumption that camping will be open.
We are retired and so School Holidays (if they are normal July/August times) can be avoided if needed and midweek breaks will be easy to organise.
We are coming to the conclusion and thinking that this year is the time when we will be going to places we would not have normally gone to will be our targets. Could be quite an adventure.
Just, please, can we have a summer like last year!

Great thread.

I think that there will be great and lasting changes to flying and package holidays in Europe.

However, I’m optimistic that things will change quite suddenly for European camping, and that countries will relax their travel requirements so camping can return to more or less normal. The uncertainty is when this will happen. Vaccine programs are going well in few European countries, but that will change as early production niggles are ironed out.

Don’t forget that tourism is a big industry across Europe, and while hospitality might be one of the last sectors to reopen, it is important that it does reopen.

I have my fingers crossed that by the Witsun holiday European travel for leisure will once again be possible. I’m unlikely to be booking anything until the last minute.

Would love to see our family in Australia this year 2021, our 2020 trip to NZ and Aus being called off. However, not at all optimistic - maybe 2022. Such a long time!!! Resigned to staying in UK in 2021.

Our expectation is for UK to open by April/May, noting the spring/summer season should see the impacts on the NHS reduce. Coupled with vaccine rollout, we should be in a better position in terms of restrictions.

European travel I suspect will be available from June/July, once the cases drop and travel routes free up following the recovery from this wave.

Personally, regardless of air travel being an option, I wouldn't even risk it. With the cabin air circulation and heavy use of air-con...you might as well all be sat next to each other without masks in my mind. I'll fly again in 2025 maybe. :D

I’ve noticed that on all the threads discussing UK travel plans, the destinations mentioned are always coastal. What about other destinations? Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Derbyshire are all beautiful with plenty to see and do.

I’ve noticed that on all the threads discussing UK travel plans, the destinations mentioned are always coastal. What about other destinations? Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Derbyshire are all beautiful with plenty to see and do.

Ssshh.
Don’t go Shropshire. Shropshire’s rubbish ...

5C45F325-DE3E-4EEE-B1E4-EA768095FDF1.jpeg
Warwickshire is awful.

4BF0776F-5A7E-46D1-8198-B9DBEAE8FE78.jpeg

The whole of the UK is dreadful and not worth visiting, apart from Devon and Cornwall, so please continue to all pile down there en masse.

EU travel - very slim chance I feel.
International - don’t even think about it.

The UK is quite a remarkable place for diversity of beauty. There is not a single part I could not find somewhere or something attractive to visit, even Wigan. The Mersey estuarial regions are havens for wildlife.

Good afternoon,

We try to be carefully optimistic. My wife just got her annual leave approved. Today we booked the ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg from 21/06 to 03/08/2021.

My hope (expectation) is that from mid March / beginning of April the vaccination project will really pick up and that the Covid related restrictions finally show an impact.

Have I say that, if it is not save or even not permitted by the various countries to travel we stay in Ireland. If in June / July we still under full Covid restrictions than I believe we have a massive problem. People can't stay for that long at home (I certainly would be one of them).

Optimistic California
Eberhard

We quite fancy Ireland, does not affect 90 day EU travel and I would enjoy visiting Wicklow the county of my grannies birth in May/June, South of France and Spain in September and October, lets hope

We quite fancy Ireland, does not affect 90 day EU travel and I would enjoy visiting Wicklow the county of my grannies birth in May/June, South of France and Spain in September and October, lets hope

A couple of years ago we seriously considered a six week five nations’ tour. London to Fishguard, Fishguard to Rosslare, the Wild Atlantic Way, Belfast to Cairnryan, then home via the hills and beaches of Galloway, and the Lake District.

I think that Galloway is one of the most underrated parts of the UK as a holiday destination.

Back