Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intro and advice on first van...

D

dancaliliving

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Morning All,

We're based down in Fareham, Hampshire, and are on the lookout for our first California. We've seen a 2008 SE one with a 2.5tdi 130bhp engine that fits with our budget. It's got 100k on the clock and a FSH. Anybody have any experience with vans with this engine? Should we be concerned about buying it as there seems to be some negativity around the 2.5's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

We've also got a 3 year old and 5 year old and would love to hear how others who have two young children get on with their vans.

Thanks,

Dan

We previously owned a 2008 SE with that engine (in sage green), and the engine is bullet proof! 100k is hardly run in, chain driven :thumb

Our 4 year old and 2 year old love it!

They sleep upstairs ‘sideways’ (4 year old next to the opening with kids safety net in place and 2 year old behind).

Space was tight because they come with so much stuff but after our 4th or 5th trip we realised what were the essentials.

Both car seats fit in the footwell & drivers seat so we spin one seat if just away for 1-2 nights.

(Drivers seat slides much further forward than in image)

422FAF4C-444F-4818-87B6-78F82086648C.jpeg

I own that engine (bnz code) and it is very well regarded with regards to longevity. I've testimonies from user VWguru who was a VERY well respected vw mastertech in my file.
I think there was a case for the T5.1 2.0 engines over the 2.5 uptil 2015, but now even those fail to meet the latest requirements of clean air zones (you need a T6 for that). I've had both, and both are fine. No timing belt changes (at £100/year) with the earlier engine.

I think I've seen the ad for the van, and it looks well.

Great engine. Chain driven 5 cylinder which should long outlast the later 4 cylinder lumps. I have the 2.5 bnz 130 in mine. As long as it’s had regular oil changes, you should be all good. Mine pulls like a train and is clean as a whistle. The fact yours has done a few miles is a good thing IMHO, 100K is nothing if properly looked after.

Do another oil change and filters (oil, fuel, air) so you know it’s all been done. Check to see if various sensors have been replaced, such as the N75 (moo valve) and ABS sensors, which commonly go (but easy to replace). Oh, and check the power steering reservoir to make sure the fluid is clear green with no sign of oil contamination and increased levels.

The only thing I recall with that engine is that they had a problem with stripping the splines on the drive shafts, not the end of the world, approx £200 in parts and a few hours of labour each side.

Hi there

We are happy wirh ours: 130ish hp/96 KW, 2.5 TDI, chain, 2005. When we bought it in 2015 it had about 94k km on the clock. Now we are around 222 k km. So give it a go! Is it a privat sale or dealer?
All the best

Hi there

We are happy wirh ours: 130ish hp/96 KW, 2.5 TDI, chain, 2005. When we bought it in 2015 it had about 94k km on the clock. Now we are around 222 k km. So give it a go! Is it a privat sale or dealer?
All the best
It's a private sale which makes it all a little bit more nerve wracking, particularly as it's a lot of money to spend! Seems quite hard to figure out what correct market value is at the moment as there are not that many around...

When we sold ours, the buyer paid for an AA inspection. They were very good, and probably worth considering if it's a private sale...

Morning All,

We're based down in Fareham, Hampshire, and are on the lookout for our first California. We've seen a 2008 SE one with a 2.5tdi 130bhp engine that fits with our budget. It's got 100k on the clock and a FSH. Anybody have any experience with vans with this engine? Should we be concerned about buying it as there seems to be some negativity around the 2.5's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

We've also got a 3 year old and 5 year old and would love to hear how others who have two young children get on with their vans.

Thanks,

Dan
We have a 2008 van. It’s a great California.

My best tip for travelling with young kids is take a v small (Decathlon) pop up tent with you and when you arrive, pop it up (it takes 2 mins) and pile the kids car seats in it along with some of the stuff on the top in the boot. That way you make a lot more space quickly.

We have 2 64 litre Really Useful boxes in the bottom of the boot and 1 usually in the top. This top one also goes in the tent quickly, making space. We also tend to carry the kids clothes in a clear lidded plastic box (great for being able to see and grab what you want) and I put that in the tent too.

We’ve never had anything stolen from our pop up tent. Pram goes in there too.

It's a private sale which makes it all a little bit more nerve wracking, particularly as it's a lot of money to spend! Seems quite hard to figure out what correct market value is at the moment as there are not that many around...

I guess it is hars to compare however we paid around CHF 39k back in 2015 for a 10 y old California. Now? I have no clue what it's worth. As mentioned above it is a good idea to have it checked on site by a professional or take it to a dealer? Here you can also get some intel by asking the insurance company to run the vehicle number.

What ever you decide: In my humble opinion it is an absolut great way to spend family time together (we are 3). That said: It's great with a California however you can go camping in any car

Back