Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intro

O

olires

Hi everyone

I'm Oli and am thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Cali.

Here's some background, on the off-chance that anyone's interested!

In 2013 I'll be in the very fortunate position of having qualified for a two month sabbatical from work, having completed 10 years' service. With that time, I had planned to drive round the coast of Britain, but having looked into it in more detail my current plan is to drive round approximately two thirds of the coast. I'm not sure which two thirds it'll be yet. I plan to complete the remaining third over the course of a couple of years.

For that journey, I'll need to get myself a van. The Cali would be ideal, as I plan for various friends to join me for sections of the trip and having upstairs and downstairs is a big bonus. I am wondering whether to hire a van, but I really want a camper of my own to be able to do spur-of-the-moment weekend trips and to have my stuff already loaded in a familiar vehicle.

While I love the iconic look of the original VW campers, as a practical fit-for-purpose modern vehicle, I think the Cali has it.

I currently drive a nine year old Mini and I'm uncertain whether to keep that, get a camper and motorbike, or just have a camper. The other option is to sell the Mini and run the camper as my only vehicle during 2013 with a view to getting a small car the following year.

Anyway, that's me. I'm sure I'll have other questions in the near future.

Cheers

Oli

Hi oli welcome along.
Great plan you have there as you say the Cali would be ideal for this.i also like the look of the older type2 campers but the Cali is definatly a different animal much more suitable and infact can be cheaper. The Cali also because of residual value and good mpg makes a great everyday vehicle. Good luck.

Hi oli. I went through a similar thought process, but was slightly scared by the accessory of an engine bay fire supression system for the aircooled T2s.

Welcome, and I hope that your trip goes as hoped.
Luke

Welcome!

Posted this elsewhere but here's a pic to help you decide...!

DSC_0104.JPG