Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter 3 pin plug fit

bgg1b

bgg1b

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi everyone, I’ve looked through the forum and can’t see an answer to this so apologies if it is covered in another thread. I went to use the inverter in my Cali today for the first time.

It works and the plate seems to be fixed ok, but when I insert a three pin plug it does not seem to go all the way in properly and wobbles such that if you just move the cable a little on the device it interupts the power supply and you have to go an push the plug back in again. I’m currently holding the plug in place with an elastic band around the plug and wrapped around the handbrake which is not ideal.

So the question is do your plugs fit securely into the inverter or is there a trick I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone, I’ve looked through the forum and can’t see an answer to this so apologies if it is covered in another thread. I went to use the inverter in my Cali today for the first time.

It works and the plate seems to be fixed ok, but when I insert a three pin plug it does not seem to go all the way in properly and wobbles such that if you just move the cable a little on the device it interupts the power supply and you have to go an push the plug back in again. I’m currently holding the plug in place with an elastic band around the plug and wrapped around the handbrake which is not ideal.

So the question is do your plugs fit securely into the inverter or is there a trick I am missing?

Thanks in advance
I have exactly the same issue with the T6.1 inverter. Trouble is - It's a "one size fits all" travel type multi plug affair, accepting different country's plugs.
Using a UK 3 pin plug I found that it would disconnect with the slightest movement (But annoyingly, the green light stays on implying that there is still a connection) So not very satisfactory tbh. My work around was to make a short 2 way extension lead using the Euro Schuko plug. The Schuko plug seems to be a tighter fit and is way more stable and gives a 2nd socket as well. It is only 300W, so please don't overload it. Our main use is for our small projector, where the battery only lasts around 90mins, so is better if left on during use. The projector mains lead wasn't long enough to reach, so needed the extension lead anyway. So killed two birds with the Schuko extension lead.

schuko.jpg

Last edited:
I have exactly the same issue with the T6.1 inverter. Trouble is - It's a "one size fits all" travel type multi plug affair, accepting different country's plugs.
Using a UK 3 pin plug I found that it would disconnect with the slightest movement (But the green light stays on implying that there is still a connection) So not very satisfactory tbh. My work around was to make a short 2 way extension lead using the Euro Schuko plug. The Schuko plug seems to be a tighter fit and is way more stable and gives a 2nd socket as well. It is only 300W, so please don't overload it. Our main use is for our small projector, where the battery only lasts around 90mins, so is better if left on during use. The projector mains lead wasn't long enough to reach, so needed the extension lead anyway. So killed two birds with the Schuko extension lead.

View attachment 93332
I had exactly the same problem with my Ocean 6.1, so did the same thing with a 2 pin plug and 3 pin extension socket. I suspect this is a fault and will ask next time I take it in for any warranty work

Using a UK 3 pin plug I found that it would disconnect with the slightest movement (But the green light stays on implying that there is still a connection) So not very satisfactory tbh. My work around was to make a short 2 way extension lead using the Euro Schuko plug. The Schuko plug seems to be a tighter fit and is way more stable and gives a 2nd socket as well. It is only 300W, so please don't overload it. Our main use is for our small projector, where the battery only lasts around 90mins, so is better if left on during use. The projector mains lead wasn't long enough to reach, so needed the extension lead anyway. So killed two birds with the Schuko extension lead.

Excellent, many thanks for the reply and advice. I’ll invest in one of these extension cords as the location of the sock is a bit inconvenient too.
Excellent, many thanks for the reply and advice. I’ll invest in one of these extension cords as the location of the socket is also a bit inconvenient too.

Last edited:
Excellent, many thanks for the reply and advice. I’ll invest in one of these extension cords as the location of the socket is also a bit inconvenient too.
I'd agree - Obviously sited there for the convenience of the installation, rather than convenience of use!