Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter Grounding

Feng Li

Feng Li

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Is grounding cable mandatory for installing an new inverter?
I plan to purchase an inverter to cover my ebike charging requirement. Found one grounding port on the back of inverter (Phoenix Inverter 12/500 230V VE.Direct, or the 1200W version)
If yes, could you share some experience which type ground cable would be sufficient and more important where is the mounting point for VW T6 California. I found some posts mention a place below the fridge, and to get there, the fridge has to be removed. I would love to avoid this complex operation. Any suggestions are welcome. Many thanks!!!

There is a ground stud welded to the floor under each front seat, possibly hidden by the floor covering. Depending on vehicle fitments and age there may well already be cables attached, the attachment is by an 'eye' connector. I guess a cable of 1.5 to 2 sq mm is plenty strong enough for all eventualities of grounding the 'earth' point of an inverter, colour being a dubious choice, vehicle -ve is brown but we (in the UK) consider green-yellow as earth ground for 240v supplies. Both would / could be considered as correct in a motor home in the situation that you describe.

There is a ground stud welded to the floor under each front seat, possibly hidden by the floor covering. Depending on vehicle fitments and age there may well already be cables attached, the attachment is by an 'eye' connector. I guess a cable of 1.5 to 2 sq mm is plenty strong enough for all eventualities of grounding the 'earth' point of an inverter, colour being a dubious choice, vehicle -ve is brown but we (in the UK) consider green-yellow as earth ground for 240v supplies. Both would / could be considered as correct in a motor home in the situation that you describe.
I will try to find this ground stud and test some cabling options, great input, thanks a lot!

Back