Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter socket for electric blanket 110/120w T6.1?

Virg

Virg

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Can I plug my 110/110w electric blanket into the inverter while not on EHU? I have a 110v solar panel and MPPT 75/15 charger (although may well be no solar when I need the blanket )

Can I plug my 110/110w electric blanket into the inverter while not on EHU? I have a 110v solar panel and MPPT 75/15 charger (although may well be no solar when I need the blanket )
Others can better advise @Virg but I imagine that even if it’s possible, you will drain your leisure batteries fairly rapidly.

Is the Auxiliary Heater not adequate for you? A home made snorkel is a great and cheap way of directing heat ‘upstairs (search this forum) and a thermal pop top cover/wrap will also keep the cold out. We have one from Pucer Screens which works very well.

110/110w electric blanket
What does the first 110 refer to?
I have a 110v solar panel and MPPT 75/15 charger
I presume a 110W panel as a 110V panel will destroy your solar controller?

It will depend on which vehicle you have and how it is equipped. All we can tell from your profile is that you are looking to buy.

Others can better advise @Virg but I imagine that even if it’s possible, you will drain your leisure batteries fairly rapidly.

Is the Auxiliary Heater not adequate for you? A home made snorkel is a great and cheap way of directing heat ‘upstairs (search this forum) and a thermal pop top cover/wrap will also keep the cold out. We have one from Pucer Screens which works very well.
Thank you @GrumpyGranddad its more about cozy than warm! You’re right, the heater keeps the van warm and the Poptop with a Brandrup Isotop is plenty warm enough at night. I have a heated throw (I know I said blanket!) which I use at home and wondered whether it would work in the van…..

It will depend on which vehicle you have and how it is equipped. All we can tell from your profile is that you are looking to buy.
@Yosoyjollyvan - sorry yes 110w not v!

I have a Vw California Ocean T6.1 MY21

The inverter, to the best of my knowledge, does not provide a pure sine wave. Some posters have reported damaging their devices as a result. One example was recharging an electric toothbrush resulting in its breaking.

If your blanket is similar to mine then it has some electronics that limit time and temperature and prevents overheating. I would be afraid of damaging it from the inverter.

Thanks @pluc99 very helpful. Good point about potential damage to the blanket….

Most likely the blanket is a resistive load. In this case the incoming waveform is irrelevant.

You have about 1kWh of usable battery. Therefore your blanket will use 10% of your usable battery power per hour. If your blanket has lower power modes this will reduce the power it draws.

Bottom line is it is feasible to run your blanket for a limited time off the inverter.

One gotcha to watch out for is that you need to remove the plug from the inverter to switch that inverter completely off.

Most likely the blanket is a resistive load. In this case the incoming waveform is irrelevant.

You have about 1kWh of usable battery. Therefore your blanket will use 10% of your usable battery power per hour. If your blanket has lower power modes this will reduce the power it draws.

Bottom line is it is feasible to run your blanket for a limited time off the inverter.

One gotcha to watch out for is that you need to remove the plug from the inverter to switch that inverter completely off.
Thanks for the detailed and helpful reply @Yosoyjollyvan it looks like an option for short spells via the inverter. Good tip re unplugging!

If the blanket has one or two heat settings and a simple switch controller then you are most likely safe to use it with an inverter. However if it has multiple settings or a fancy display then I wouldn’t risk it with an inverter. We have a 60W electric blanket with two heat settings that we have used with the inverter in our T6, which has a modified square wave output, and it has worked fine. Bear in mind though that a 110W device will draw around 10 amps from the battery so it will soon flatten the battery.

Back