Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter Upgrade 300 to 1500 watt

Little owl1963

Little owl1963

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Firstly on the Cali t6.1 were is this installed ??

is it straight forward exchange from the factory fit 300 watt to a 1000 or 1500 watt higher one ??

I was considering a higher one so could run a higher 900 watt air fryer which is around 4 amps , would this be viable ? probably running for around 20 mins to 40 mins max per day or would take too much battery .

Has anyone trialled this out ?

1200W / 12V = 100A. You don't want to drain your batteries like that.
1200W / 230V = 5A.
Such high power asks for higher voltage, so the amps go lower.

is it straight forward exchange from the factory fit 300 watt to a 1000 or 1500 watt higher one ??

I was considering a higher one so could run a higher 900 watt air fryer which is around 4 amps , would this be viable ? probably running for around 20 mins to 40 mins max per day or would take too much battery .

Don't, you'll fry the batteries in no time. Best to get an ecoflow or similar.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On my LHR model the inverter is located under the left side front seat. Keep in mind that a 1500w unit will be larger and will produce more heat than your current one. If you go that route you'd be silly to not also increase your battery capacity. It's probably safer and more cost effective to just get an ecoflow as already suggested above.

My 2p contribution based on experience of having a 1500w inverter in my old work van - it does work, but I was replacing the standalone leisure battery at least yearly, even with it being charged by solar and a weekly mains top up charge. The battery would always fail with no notice and always while I doing something critical.

If I was doing it today I’d 100% be going down the portable power pack route.

2x75ah. Would theoretically drain new fully charged batteries in 1.5h. The wiring to the inverter is already rated for the batteries. It should work.

What is an eco flow ?? Not heard those how do they work ? An is installation easy ?
And how much do they cost ?

search on google for ECOflow and sit down for the cost when you see them. Other versions are available :)

Swarey Ecoflow Bluetti are portable power packs, they can also be charged up from your solar or from your 12v whilst driving.

Swarey Ecoflow Bluetti are portable power packs, they can also be charged up from your solar or from your 12v whilst driving.
Anker are another decent brand, often have fairly deep discounts going on too.

Why people feel the need to run air fryers,micro waves and espresso machines in a campervan I will never know. Use the hob ,a pan will fry most things, or go down the pub
I'm inclined to agree , an after looking into it a very expensive way to fry a steak .

Think my conclusion is a small air fryer ok , if go to camping site with hook up .

I'm inclined to agree , an after looking into it a very expensive way to fry a steak .

Think my conclusion is a small air fryer ok , if go to camping site with hook up .
Fry it in a pan? Even posh restaurants now say things like ' pan fried chicken breast'.

Fry it in a pan? Even posh restaurants now say things like ' pan fried chicken breast'.

Closed Ridgemonkey pan on a low heat makes your hob an oven.

Or whack it on the bbq, but get a cheap thermometer to avoid a cremation. The smoke keeps any bugs away.