Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter?

N

Nick CB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi gang,
Being a new boy to the Cali, what does the inverter do? My impression of an inverter is that it converts 12 Volts to 240 from the leisure battery, is this correct? Or does it (on hook up) convert 240 V down to 12?
This has probably been covered before but I can't find it.
Many thanks in advance.
Nick & Karen

You where right the first time it converts 12v to 240 v but only to a maximum of 150 watts. You will need an adapter to fit the diamond shape. It will charge a phone or laptop etc but not kettles,irons,hairdryers. I hope this helps

Thanks Kev,
That's great. What do you mean by the diamond shape?
Sorry to be so stupid,and while I'm at it where can I find the drain tap?
I know I have drifted, maybe that's a wrinkly prob.
All the best Nick.

The drain tap for waste water inside left hand kitchen cupboard
Through the round hole the drain for the freshwater tank is under the shelf covering the gas bottle
This is the type of adapter you need

417T7+x6HmL.jpg

Once again, ta muchly.
N.

Do I get from this post that there is an inverter that provides 240V when the van is not plugged? Would this be fitted to my 2006 Cali - I can't find any 'diamond' socket by the passenger seat on either side - I have a LHD?

Don't think they were on early models mine is a 08 it is on the b pillar next to kitchen.

Don't think they were on early models mine is a 08 it is on the b pillar next to kitchen.

Jeff that might be it the answer, I presume the socket is somewhere above the buttons to switch the alarm motion/internal sensors off then?

Mine is on the opposite side to alarm switch but right hand drive. So behind passanger seat. Alarm switch behind drivers seat both on the pillars.

Thanks! i'll have another poke around in the light tomorrow but suspect I may be disappointed. So where is the inverter for this socket hidden - is this the one everyone talks about getting hot above the the battery in the back or under the fridge?

I think the whole thing is in the pillar .

Thanks! i'll have another poke around in the light tomorrow but suspect I may be disappointed. So where is the inverter for this socket hidden - is this the one everyone talks about getting hot above the the battery in the back or under the fridge?

That's the leisure battery charger

Seems like the early Calis lacked some refinement with no charging of the vehicle battery on hook up - disaster with the electric door and no 12V/230V inverter. Of the two, I think the former would be most useful. Phones and tablets all easily 12V socket chargeable.:thumb