Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter

W

wasted

VIP Member
I am have ordered a new Cali and can't find much information about the built in inverter. The dealer did not think it had one. There is a strange plug behind the passengers seat... what does this do and hook up to. I would of thought an inverter would come out to a 13 amp domestic plug? Any help most appreiciated.

Hi the Cali will have an inverter behind the passenger seat you will need a diamond shape
Adapter that plugs in. I have some made up that plug into the inverter and use a standard
3 pin plug. Please bear in mind that the inverter is rated only to 150 watts max enough for a laptop or mobile but not a kettle or toaster Pm me if interested

I know a few people have been looking for an adapter for the built-in invertor that allows you to use UK plugs. I've found this universal adapter on Amazon that works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J18Q9PQ/?tag=eliteelect-21

The only slight downside is that because of the flap over the socket the UK plug ends up upside down with the cable coming from the top.

PS. I totally get that it is much more efficient to use DC devices / chargers wherever possible and that the max output is 150 W (0.6A at 240V) but I have some camera battery chargers that only have AC input so this is perfect to top those up on the move or off-grid overnights.

Without rummaging in the back of my Cali. Does anyone know what the Brand of the inverter is in the Cali.
Basically I am looking for a reputable brand of inverter of a 2000w Pure Sine Wave.
The problem with Ebay and Amazon is, its a gamble on what the quality of construction and internal wiring is like. Quite a lot of reviews with insufficient wire size, loose parts rattling around inside causing shorts, no earth etc etc.
I assume VW has chosen a brand that is at least fairly reliable.

Note:- I am not installing the unit in the Cali just wanted to know the brand.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that the VW converter doesn't deliver a pure sine electrical wave, but a block wave. Some electrical appliances, like a toothbrush, do not like this (read: they die).

The place where the VW inverter is built in, is too small to fit in an alternative pure sine wave converter. Best is to buy a detached inverter and connect it to the household battery. They are not cheap...

I've fit my 350 Watt pure sine with velcro at the kitchen block, behind the left chair. With an Anderson plug and a 40 Ampere fuse it connects to the plus and minus poles of the HH battery.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I've fit my 350 Watt pure sine with velcro at the kitchen block, behind the left chair. With an Anderson plug and a 40 Ampere fuse it connects to the plus and minus poles of the HH battery.
Remember the negative should go to chassis so that you are not bypassing the shunt.

The place where the VW inverter is built in, is too small to fit in an alternative pure sine wave converter. Best is to buy a detached inverter and connect it to the household battery. They are not cheap...

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

The T6.1 has it under the drivers seat so loads more room, it’s also now 300w rather than the previous150

Remember the negative should go to chassis so that you are not bypassing the shunt.
Your'e absolutely right, Loz. I was just a bit lazy... And for me the Volt reading in de camper unit gives me enough info.

Marc.